Tumbler Media

Tumbler Media

Postby Doyle » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:54:49

Just curious if anyone has experimented using Kitty Litter and/or rice as tumbler media. Any pros/cons on alternative media types would be appreciated.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Doyle

Re: Tumbler Media

Postby Rualert » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:59:53

Funny you should ask this, I just tried "Lizard Litter" from Pets Mart with a cap full of Nu Finish. I can't take credit for this, I found it on another forum searching for alternatives to walnut, or corn cob media, since no one in the Richmond area had any in stock. I ran 250 cases through this yesterday, and they came out beautifully clean. Only thing for me, was I took a little extra time to wipe down all the cases as the "litter" is actually ground English Walnut, and I wanted to ensure I had no lingering dust. Could have just given them a quick blast from the air compressor, but it was no chore sitting in front of the TV wiping down the cases. Plus I got like 15+ lbs of the stuff for less than a 6 or 7 lb container of "media".

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Casey

Postby Doyle » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:02:17

Good information Rualert. I have used various Kitty litter in the past. The thing to be careful is to stay away from anything with clay in it. You can find litter that is 100% corn cob so I have used that and finished up with uncooked white rice to remove dust and give a nice final finish. Does a respectable job. I just priced media at the gun shops and thought for what it is it was grossly over priced. I will watch for lizard litter.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

Postby mstuff » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:01:10

interesting
i just got a lee loader for my 308, never reloaded anything, saw I need a tumbler, so Ill order that next
any rec's on a tumbler to get ?

mstuff
On Target
On Target

Postby M1A4ME » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:48:29

Yeah, the "lizard little" is pretty good stuff and way cheaper than walnut shells by another name (brass tumbling media). Just about any Pet Store has it.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Doyle » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 06:31:40

by mstuff » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:01:10

interesting
i just got a lee loader for my 308, never reloaded anything, saw I need a tumbler, so Ill order that next
any rec's on a tumbler to get ?

Just buy the cheapest one you can find. You might try Harbor Freight. I think I heard one time that they have them.

Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

Postby M1A4ME » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 06:43:17

sometimes cheap works great.

I got one of those cheap Frankford Arsenal case cleaners from Midway 2 or 3 years ago. It has cleaned thousands of cases for me.

It has stopped 2 or 3 times. Once a wire pulled loose from a connection on the motor. Another time a wire broke at the connector that clips to the motor.

Both were easy to fix and it is still working. I've gone off and left it running in the garage overnight several times and realize its still running the next day when I go out to get in the car and go to work. After 18 hrs. or so, those are some shineeeeeeeee cases.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Doyle » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:09:11

M1A4ME » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 05:43:17

sometimes cheap works great.

I got one of those cheap Frankford Arsenal case cleaners from Midway 2 or 3 years ago. It has cleaned thousands of cases for me.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I have purchased a number of Frankford Arsenal products and have always be happy. If I needed a new tumbler I certain consider a Frankford.

Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

Postby DaRoller » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:41:01

M1A4ME wrote: I've gone off and left it running in the garage overnight several times and realize its still running the next day when I go out to get in the car and go to work. After 18 hrs. or so, those are some shineeeeeeeee cases.

:clap:
And maybe a little bit thinner.

DaRoller
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Da

My Arsenal:
Orbit, Double-Bubble, Trident. Oh. Wait, this is a "GUN" forum? Not "GUM"? Oops.

Next Firearm:
New glasses, evidently

Postby Doyle » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:52:48

DaRoller wrote:
M1A4ME wrote: I've gone off and left it running in the garage overnight several times and realize its still running the next day when I go out to get in the car and go to work. After 18 hrs. or so, those are some shineeeeeeeee cases.

:clap:
And maybe a little bit thinner.
Good one :hysterical:

Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Rualert » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:32:27

I have even seen people use an inexpensive rock tumbler, will run forever, as cases are nowhere near as heavy as rocks! Also might be available at Harbor Freight. I have a Lyman, the 600/1200 I have has been running 20 years or so now. I might spend the $21.00 or so dollars on the wet kit for it.

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby meadmkr » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 00:06:38

I like the 20/40 grit corn cob media with a bit of NuFinish...
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ECONOL ... Pid=search

For eally crusty stuff I use Lizard Litter from PetSmart but it sometimes clogs the primer holes while the 20/40 flows right through...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Postby Purdune » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 00:40:15

Dumb question but I see the worry over dust. Can I assume you don't want to pour water on them and let them air dry?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Purdune
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Joseph

My Arsenal:
I'm sorry can you restate the question please?

Postby meadmkr » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:58:53

Add a used dryer sheet (fabric softener) to the tumbler to help keep down the dust....
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Postby Rualert » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:58:39

Yes the dryer sheet works great.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby sgedicks » Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:18:24

Crushed walnut bird litter is about the same grit as tumbler media and works for me...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
sgedicks
On Target
On Target

Postby Rualert » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:05:39

Also found some crushed corn cob pet litter in the rabbit, ect section of Wallyworld. Mixed that with some of the lizard litter (Walnut) and the combo works very well for even the dirtiest brass. Once fired brass clean up in 30 minutes to an hour max, and really dirty stuff may take a couple of hours. That combo is what I'm using now, and it seems to have taken the walnut dust down to almost nothing. I do still drop a few pieces of a used dryer sheet in just out of habit, and the cap ful of Nu-Finish leaves the brass shiny, and almost lubed. Super smooth and slick. They run through my press with very little effort during re-sizing.

Casey

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby wscrst » Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:53:03

Rualert wrote:Yes the dryer sheet works great.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

The dryer sheet addition is amazing. Dirt be gone! To answer the question about what tumbler to get, I feel that the lyman turbo 1200 is a great tumbler but it is the only one I have ever used.
"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper.

wscrst
On Target
On Target

First Name: Dave

My Arsenal:
Sig P238
Springfield EMP 9mm
S&W 3913
Glock 20
Kahr PM9
CZ 455 Lux
Mossberg 835 Turkey