The Great Ammo Shortage of 2013? A solution

Re: The Great Ammo Shortage of 2013? A solution

Postby Snakester » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 23:08:47

The last day of the month I can always count on my neighbor Tommy to come through with my monthly supply of Reloads...This evening I picked up 300 rounds .45 Colt $120.00. I was surprised he also had 100 rounds .357 mag. $23.00. He told me not to count on much ammo next month as he was planning to take off 3 or 4 days around Christmas....I told him I would see him mid afternoon on 12 /31....He'll be there , he knows I will show up with his annual 1/2 gal. Wild Turkey that he loves so much !

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby CowboyT » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 23:17:52

That's a pretty good price for .45 Colt if you're buying it. That brass is not cheap, nor is it as plentiful as even .44M brass.

BTW, it is also possible--and might, depending on future regulations (you know, that "more flexibility" thing), become yet more practical--to cast for .224"-caliber rounds like the .22-250, .222/223 Rem, and so on. You don't push top velocities, of course, but Lyman's 49th shows max cast loads at around 2,250FPS, and you can safely hit 2,500 FPS with proper care and a gas check. Bolt guns especially would be a natural candidate for this, though it also works pretty well in AR's too. Just clean the gas tube during normal cleaning, and all should be well.

Currently bulk FMJ 0.224" bullets are still readily available, but just sayin' it's an option.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom ain't free, folks. It takes work.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
CowboyT
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cowboy

My Arsenal:
'Scuze me...what "arsenal"?? I thought militaries had "arsenals"....

Next Firearm:
Huh? How'm I supposed to know?? I'm a Liberal!

Postby breacher » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 00:24:36

If anyone is looking for brass I'm swimming in it and would love to offload some. I have mixed military 556 and 223, 9mm (brass and nickel), 357 Sig, 50 BMG, etc. I'm only looking to sell in 200-500 or preferably 1000 count boxes. It is all first class and has not been resized. If interested PM me, I'm sure we can work something out.
Find out what you're afraid of and go live there.

breacher
On Target
On Target

Postby jdonovan » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 08:15:37

The market place here will probably get you better visibility for a for sale add.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Dieseldoc » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 18:34:19

It all starts with the guns. Then the reloading starts to feed the guns. Then the casting starts. Reloading and casting is a very consuming hobby unto itself. Never ever think you will save money.... you just end up shooting more, finding an excuse to load more, finding an excuse to cast more, shooting more.... you get the picture.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Dieseldoc
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Previous

Return to Ammunition and Reloading