Re-sizing/ necked down question

Re-sizing/ necked down question

Postby tangodown » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:09:52

I have been wondering for a while how they neck a cartridge down for them odd calibers. For instance, I know this isn't a real load but its an example, say someone were to take a .375 SOCOM casing, and put a .338 projectile int it, how in gods name would they get the neck to come down and fit to a .338?

Is there a special machine at the factory? Do they make a custom casing? Or is it like a re-sizing dye for your reloader? ...... I am all ears
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Re: Re-sizing/ necked down question

Postby noylj » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 18:39:49

In most cases, you simply get the sizing die for the new caliber and run the case into it. Not hard at all.
If it is a large change in caliber or if the shoulder is moved, you may need one or two intermediate sizing dies.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
noylj
On Target
On Target

Re: Re-sizing/ necked down question

Postby M1A4ME » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 18:59:41

I have a couple .308 Winchesters. All .243 Winchester and .358 Winchester brass I find/buy goes through my .308 Winchester resizing die and becomes a .308 Winchester case. For the .243 brass I use a punch (they taper up/larger from the point to the part you hold onto) and open the neck up some so the expander ball can enter the case mouth and open it up prior to punching out the spent primer.

I do the same thing with .270 Winchester, .280 Remington and .25-06 brass - I run it through my 30.06 resizing die and make it 30.06 brass.

You should trim the brass after resizing it, especially .270 Winchester as it will be longer than the 30.06 brass.

I also add extra lube to the inside of the case mouth to help the expander ball open the neck up without crushing the neck due to friction.

And, I make .300 black out brass from .223 Rem. I just set aside some .223 brass yesterday that had cracked necks (about 9 pieces). I'll cut it off right where the shoulder starts with a tubing cutter, then run it through the .300 black out resizing die and the check it. Some military brass needs to have the thickness of the case wall reduced because the brass was too thick just below the shoulder area. I've only found 3 or 4 like that but failing to do some checking up front results in a .300 black out reload that won't chamber because once you put the bullet in it the OD of the brass is too thick to chamber.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to Ammunition and Reloading