Reloading shotshells....

Reloading shotshells....

Postby Diggs27 » Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:53:48

Have been looking at some reloading vids online; and was wondering if it is more cost effective to reload my own shells, or to purchase the shells at say WalMart or something like the when I find them. I will be mostly shooting #4 and #6 shot. Did see that you could pick up a Lee loader online for roughly about 40 - 45$. Know it is not the top quality of loaders out there, but considering I would only be doing roughly 25 - 50 a month, would this be worth it for me? I do have a box of Winchester spent hulls sitting in my work room from when I ordered them off of Etsy to start making earrings using the recycle by cutting off the very bottom of the disk (My fiance and I make hand-crafted jewelry as a side business for craft shows and festivals of that sort). Think there may be roughly about 100 shells in there left.....

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Diggs27
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
Daisy "pump action" BB gun......LOL
Mossberg 702 Plinkster w/ 4X scope
Mossberg 500 Field/deer combo

Next Firearm:
Walthers PPK .40

Re: Reloading shotshells....

Postby trailrunner » Sun, 27 Oct 2013 16:46:06

If you do decide to reload and want some hulls, let me know. I've been collecting my empties for a friend who reloads, but he told me he has enough now. When I shot sporting clays last week, I didn't save any hulls. If you're in northern VA, I'm happy to save them for you.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
trailrunner
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: trailrunner

My Arsenal:
two squirt guns and a rubber-band gun

Next Firearm:
nerf gun

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 27 Oct 2013 22:23:33

Diggs27 wrote:Have been looking at some reloading vids online; and was wondering if it is more cost effective to reload my own shells, or to purchase the shells at say WalMart or something like the when I find them.

really depends on what you are loading. You say #4 and #6, so you are certainly not shooting skeet/trap with them and therefore you're probably not running 300 a month.

would only be doing roughly 25 - 50 a month

What game are you shooting year round with 50 shells a month? You must be a subsistance hunter, or a really bad shot. :hysterical: If its practice, switch to #8/#9 that you can get for $5 a box, rather than the hunting stuff at $7 a box.

The lee loader can produce shells, but most who do any volume move away from lee equipment fairly quickly.

I've got a MEC 600jr I'd sell you for not much more than the lee...

The problem is the cost savings... $1-2 a box on the expensive stuff is about the best you are going to save. And on target loads you'd be lucky to save $0.50 per box of 25. At those prices my time is more valuable, and I've not reloaded a shot shell in 15+ years. Even though I've got shells, powder, and shot all sitting in my basement.

When wall-mart, dicks etc.. put cases on sale cheap me and the wife buy the limit a few days in a row, and put a few 1000 onto the shelf.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Diggs27 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 00:48:56

Ok; thank you for the info. And yes; was thinking if I were to save money for by reloading; I could just use the same shot down at the range. Considering the fact that I would only be saving a buck or 2 per box; really does not make that much of a difference. I was at Dick's on Saturday (got the gun there) and they had bricks of Winchester Super X Game loads... 24.95 for 100 shells which was their sale price (regularly 29.99, I believe) I was sitting here thinking that I would save 5-6 bucks a box by reloading my own; but like I said; no sense wasting time doing so if savings are not that marginal. Also; do want to get into some trap and skeet shooting; but the few ranges around me do not allow it. I would have to join the "local" gun club; but being here in the mountains, takes about 45 minutes or so to get there.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Diggs27
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
Daisy "pump action" BB gun......LOL
Mossberg 702 Plinkster w/ 4X scope
Mossberg 500 Field/deer combo

Next Firearm:
Walthers PPK .40

Return to Ammunition and Reloading