Please Help!

Please Help!

Postby Steelhoss » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:04:56

Good morning folks.
My name is Todd from Pittsburgh and Im having a reloading issue that I could really use some help with. I'll be brief as possible.

I am loading .300 win mag rounds and I am having trouble with the case shoulder expanding too much when I seat the bullet. Each case has been full length re-sized and cut to the proper length of (2.620)
The shoulder measurement after resizing is usually.488 which is .001 under the max diameter of .489

However, as soon as I seat the Nosler 125 grain Ballistic tip boat tail it bumps the shoulder diameter out to .491 or even .492 and will not fit into my rifle! :roll:

Im stumped!

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Steelhoss
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: Please Help!

Postby Purdune » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:30:54

I just started reloading but taking an stab here. What is the diameter of the bullet? I'm thinking it may be slightly to large. I realize the box might be correct but could this be a bad batch?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Purdune
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Joseph

My Arsenal:
I'm sorry can you restate the question please?

Postby Steelhoss » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:56:01

Purdune wrote:I just started reloading but taking an stab here. What is the diameter of the bullet? I'm thinking it may be slightly to large. I realize the box might be correct but could this be a bad batch?

Perhaps Purdune, and I Appreciate your response sir! The bullet is a standard Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullet--30 cal/308
125 grain boat tail bullet. The case opening is about.333 and the bullets are all just about.306. I have been loading this same load for more than 20 years. However,this is the first time I have ever used not only Remington brass instead of Winchester brass but also someone else brass instead of new ones or once fired from my own sporter.

I just cant find any NEW .300 Win Mag Brass anywhere around me or on the internet for that matter.
Everybody says either "Out of stock" or "backordered" and then nobody can even give me a delivery or pick up date! Isn't this nuts? :roll:

Thank you!

Anyone else have an idea?

Todd

Steelhoss
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby HighExpert » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:31:33

Sounds to me like your seating/crimping die is set a little to tight and is trying to setback the shoulder when you seat a bullet. Have you checked the brass before doing anything to it to see if it will chamber in you gun. It may have been fired in a gun with a slightly longer chamber and fire-formed to that standard. Trim to length does nothing for the shoulder, as you know. Worth checking?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Postby Steelhoss » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:43:10

HighExpert wrote:Sounds to me like your seating/crimping die is set a little to tight and is trying to setback the shoulder when you seat a bullet. Have you checked the brass before doing anything to it to see if it will chamber in you gun. It may have been fired in a gun with a slightly longer chamber and fire-formed to that standard. Trim to length does nothing for the shoulder, as you know. Worth checking?

Yer smart like a white hog High Expert! :clap: My seating die was indeed crushing the shoulder because it was too tight! My locking ring on my seating die was loose and allowed my die to actually come into contact with the shell holder. As I learned last nite, that senario would crush any casing! Thank you for your input sir. Im happily reloading my last few rounds now.

Thank you and God bless!

Todd

Steelhoss
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Return to Ammunition and Reloading