My First Reloads

My First Reloads

Postby rlbellco72 » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:12:22

What a beautiful day today. Several firsts for me today. Finally got to the range with my first 96 rounds of my first ever reload ammunition. The reason it was only 96 rounds is because I ruined four of the projectiles during the reloading process. The second first, is I experienced my first squib. Apparently, one of my first 96 didn't have any powder in it. The last first for the day is, I have an AMT 9mm Backup that wasn't firing very well. I figured out how to remove the firing pin and cleaned it. It shot much better but still needs some work.

Out of 96 rounds I was able to fire a total of 49 rounds. Number fifty was the squib. That of course put an end to the range time as the projectile was lodged in the barrel and I didn't have the tools to remedy that at the range. Got it out when I got home.

The issue I was having with my AMT was that it was soft striking the primer and not setting off the primer. When I figured out how to remove the firing pin, I found that it was gunked up with gun oil. I admit that that was my fault due to improper cleaning technics. That has been remedied. Anyway, out of 50 rounds, I had maybe ten soft strikes while before, it was almost ever other round.

Over all, it was a good day at the range even if it was short.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.

Theodore Roosevelt

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
rlbellco72
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rodney

Re: My First Reloads

Postby Palladin » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 18:39:25

Are you fully seating the primers? The seating process moves the anvil just a bit to bring it in contact with the priming mixture. Soft pin strikes sounds like you're using up the energy in the firing pin to finish seating the primer... especially if you've never had that problem with factory rounds. Did you try the soft strike rounds a second time?
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby rlbellco72 » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 19:10:15

Palliadin, I apologize. The reloads were 40 S&W. The primers were seated properly as far as I could tell. It is possible that I had one get by me with the primer not fully seated though. After all, it was in the very first 50 rounds I reloaded. Guess I'll have to be even more cautious when I am running my press. Of course with the projectile stuck in the barrel, I had to put it away. When I got home I tore down the gun and was able to get the projectile out. The bullet was only into the barrel about a quarter of an inch.

As for the AMT, it was factory loads I was shooting. I have had this problem for quite a while and haven't been shooting the gun. I decide the other day I was going to see if I could figure out how to get the firing pin out to see if it was broken or something. When I got the firing pin out, which turned out to be easier than I thought, it was covered in old oil and dirty. I cleaned it off and put it back together. The first three magazines fired great and I got a soft strike on the third round of the fourth magazine. Had about 9 more after 50 rounds. It did appear that the rounds were seating correctly, but I could be wrong on that and will have to look at that next time. In answer to your question, the rounds that didn't fire did fire when I ran them through a second time.

Theodore Roosevelt

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
rlbellco72
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 08:39:52

A properly seated primer should be .002-.005 below the case head. If your primer is flush, then its not bottomed in the primer pocket.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby rlbellco72 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:02:40

jdonovan wrote:A properly seated primer should be .002-.005 below the case head. If your primer is flush, then its not bottomed in the primer pocket.

jdonovan, I will certainly be checking that in future reloads. Thanks for the advise.

Theodore Roosevelt

rlbellco72
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby rlbellco72 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:05:34

I am now thinking that getting a hand held priming system may be the way to go. Although I love the Lee Pro 1000 press I have, I am not entirely comfortable with the way the priming system is working. I'll keep working on it though. Thanks to all for the advice, I appreciate it.

Theodore Roosevelt

rlbellco72
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:06:35

The RCBS hand priming tool is my go-to tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/329291 ... iming-tool

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Palladin » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:40:48

Here's a pic of unactivated primers in the shipping position... you can see the anvil hanging out a few thousandths.

primer wide.jpg

primer close.jpg

With the hand priming tool j's telling you about, you'll be able to feel the anvil bottoming out and then the primer cup bottoming out.
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby CowboyT » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:58:13

rlbellco72 wrote:I am now thinking that getting a hand held priming system may be the way to go. Although I love the Lee Pro 1000 press I have, I am not entirely comfortable with the way the priming system is working. I'll keep working on it though. Thanks to all for the advice, I appreciate it.

You might want to consider watching my videos on the Pro 1000. One of the things we discuss is how to deal with its priming system and make it work smoothly.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom ain't free, folks. It takes work.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
CowboyT
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cowboy

My Arsenal:
'Scuze me...what "arsenal"?? I thought militaries had "arsenals"....

Next Firearm:
Huh? How'm I supposed to know?? I'm a Liberal!

Postby cpttango30 » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:24:27

Hand held is the way to go. I have 2 RCBS hand primers. Keep one set up for 223 the other is set up for 30-06 which also works for my 45acp (If I want) 25-06, 308, 6.5x57mm (Yes 57mm not 55mm). I normally don't do 45acp as I have a Dillon 550b set up for those.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
cpttango30
On Target
On Target

First Name: Brett

My Arsenal:
Rem 700 VLS
1917 Rem Enfield 308
Rem 511x
Rem 513t
Kimber Custom II
Ruger MkII Govt Target
Beretta Neos
Type 38
M98 25-06 Target rifle
Win Model 12
Mossberg M46
Mossberg M44us
Marlin Model 81
RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle

Postby rlbellco72 » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 04:49:53

CowboyT wrote:
rlbellco72 wrote:I am now thinking that getting a hand held priming system may be the way to go. Although I love the Lee Pro 1000 press I have, I am not entirely comfortable with the way the priming system is working. I'll keep working on it though. Thanks to all for the advice, I appreciate it.

You might want to consider watching my videos on the Pro 1000. One of the things we discuss is how to deal with its priming system and make it work smoothly.

CowboyT, I watched your video on cleaning the Lee Pro 1000 on Monday. I will look for the video on the primer system. Thanks.

All, Thanks for the advice. I will keep you posted on what I end up doing.

Theodore Roosevelt

rlbellco72
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby eglfan55 » Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:45:54

cpttango30 wrote:Hand held is the way to go. I have 2 RCBS hand primers. Keep one set up for 223 the other is set up for 30-06 which also works for my 45acp (If I want) 25-06, 308, 6.5x57mm (Yes 57mm not 55mm). I normally don't do 45acp as I have a Dillon 550b set up for those.

I use a lee ergo prime and I think it would be hard to get me to switch form it unless I switch to a turret press.
“You are no more powerful than you make yourself. If you see yourself as having weakness, you are simply increasing the problem. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy.”
-Mal’kith

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
eglfan55
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Return to Ammunition and Reloading