Fiocchi .357 Magnum, 142 grain FMJ

Fiocchi .357 Magnum, 142 grain FMJ

Postby jasonallen127 » Sun, 06 Jan 2013 03:25:32

I have a Taurus 627 6" revolver and bought a huge lot of Fiocchi .357 Magnum, 142 grain FMJ Truncated Cone rounds for range use.

These 142 grain .357 Magnum loads are tack-driving accurate - moreso than wadcutters, JHPs, FMJ round nose loads, and JSPs I've tried from many manufacturers. On a cylinder full of 7 of these, I printed a solid 2" grouping (from a sandbag rest) at 25 yards, which is much better than my recent results with other brands (Remington, Federal, Winchester). After 25 rounds, I had managed to chew a ragged roughly 3" hole in the center of the target.

They burn clean, but boy oh boy do they burn! The flame and report from these rounds is FIERCE. At an outdoor range earlier this afternoon, others around me stopped shooting to watch these rounds and the resulting trail of flames cook off.

The rounds drop into the cylinders nicely from HKS speedloaders due in large part to the truncated cone bullets. The casings extract clean with a stiff stroke of the ejector, but they do fire form to the cylinders moreso than some other brands. I wouldn't say it was sticky extraction exactly, but it wasn't as easy as tipping the barrel skyward and letting gravity do the rest.

These rounds all ignited on the first strike. 100% went bang every time for 200 consecutive rounds.

Recoil is middle of the road on the spectrum of .357 rounds (I consider .357's spectrum to range from stout yet manageable recoil on 158 grain American Eagle JSP to insanely uuberpowered and uncomfortable to shoot Buffalo Bore 125 grain).

Also... reloaders, the brass on mine are headstamped HRTRS - they're from Herter's. The brass works nicely with repeated taper crimping and light roll crimping. The primer pockets appear durable enough for multiple reloadings.

Only one hiccup happened with these rounds: The gentleman in the lane next to mine reports that he caught a piece of bullet jacketing in his cheek out of the cylinder gap on my Taurus... He picked it out of his skin, and it was a roughly 4mm x 1mm piece of scorched copper. Not sure what caused that - my gun or the cartridge...

This is a round that I feel pairs nicely with my revolver in terms of repeatable accuracy, reasonable felt recoil (as far as .357 magnum goes), cleanliness (scorching around the top strap of the frame, the cylinder face, the cylinder chambers, & cylinder crane was pretty intense, but cleaned off easily with some Hoppes #9), and bang for the buck.

It's one of the cheapest factory brass loaded .357 cartridges available, but this stuff is seriously good to go.

My bottom line:
Highly recommended for target use or hunting applications.
NOT recommended for a nightstand/home defense gun due to tremendous flash and report.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
jasonallen127
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jason

My Arsenal:
.357 Mag
12 Gauge

Next Firearm:
Reducing what I have.

Re: Fiocchi .357 Magnum, 142 grain FMJ

Postby Doyle » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:08:11

They burn clean, but boy oh boy do they burn! The flame and report from these rounds is FIERCE. At an outdoor range earlier this afternoon, others around me stopped shooting to watch these rounds and the resulting trail of flames cook off.

:tommygun: How cool is that?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Doyle

Postby Doyle » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:10:31

Oh, by the way I have used Fiocchi on a number of occasions and I have never been disappointed with the performance. Good stuff. :first:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

Postby jasonallen127 » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:59:31

Yeah, Doyle! Their ammo is excellent. I fired another 100 rounds since I wrote the review above... seriously good stuff. Possibly the most accurate handgun load I've fired in any caliber.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
jasonallen127
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jason

My Arsenal:
.357 Mag
12 Gauge

Next Firearm:
Reducing what I have.

Postby Doyle » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:06:06

by jasonallen127 ยป Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:59:31

Yeah, Doyle! Their ammo is excellent. I fired another 100 rounds since I wrote the review above... seriously good stuff. Possibly the most accurate handgun load I've fired in any caliber.

Enjoy my friend. :pistol:

Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

Return to Ammunition and Reloading