Copper Nylon Jacket or Poly ammo?

Copper Nylon Jacket or Poly ammo?

Postby wittmeba » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 12:32:30

Low budget plinker ammo.

Anyone have any experience or pros/cons with these two ammo types? Both are low cost but I'm not familiar with alum cases or poly ammo, copper & nylon jacket.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/herte ... -50rds-999

http://www.fedarm.com/product/40-sw-165 ... lead-core/

I am inclined to focus on Blazer Brass for a little more money but I am curious.
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Re: Copper Nylon Jacket or Poly ammo?

Postby M1A4ME » Sat, 04 Mar 2017 19:45:55

I thought I replied to this a day or so back..I must have hit the wrong button after typing.

Nylon coated ammo has been around for a long time. Back in the early 80's (I don't remember which large ammo company made it) they called it "Nyclad". We shot it in .38 special caliber for training purposes, but they did make it in hollow points, too. No idea how well if expanded/penetrated. The idea was to reduce/eliminate lead particles on the indoor ranges.

The painted bullets are a newer thing. Lots of companies offer the coated bullets for reloading rifle and pistol calibers. Plenty of folks using them and liking them. The ones I've used from Missouri Bullet Company smell a little funny when you fire them but seem to work just fine.

Aluminum cases? I'm on the side that won't used them. There's been a report or two of people blowing up their pistol when shooting aluminum cased ammo. On one forum I belong to there was a guy saying that he knew a guy who worked for a company that loaded/sold aluminum cases pistol ammo. He said his buddy told him that they, during testing, had reloaded the cases multiple times with no issues. However, they had identified a big problem with the cases. Corrosion. Corrosion that was very difficult to see.

When brass corrodes its' easy to see and when caught early it's easy to clean the brass up. But aluminum cases corrode differently. They get small spots that corrode deeply into the wall of the case. They are hard to see and when the case gives way at one of these spots it splits badly, not just a little crack or pinhole.

If you buy the ammo (aluminum cased) and it's been stored properly and it's not too old and you hurry up and shoot it you might be alright.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 01:00:17

Funny. I thought that I responded to this, too. Don't quite recall what I had to say on the subject.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 21:10:41

I know I bought the aluminum case .45 acp, and it was INACCURATE as hell! Shot a box, all over the place. Pulled out a box of brass case? All in the X ring.

Telling you, it's not "seated" properly, or something.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Return to Ammunition and Reloading