.204 Ruger

.204 Ruger

Postby BluWolf762 » Tue, 26 Dec 2017 12:09:08

I recently picked up a used H&R single shot in .204 ruger and have tried a couple different types of ammo that tumble coming out of the barrel and leave perfect silhouettes of a bullet going through the paper sideways. Any recommendation on what ammo to use and what is the heaviest bullet you guys have found for the .204? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

BluWolf762
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: George

Next Firearm:
Ruger American Ranch in .450 Bushmaster

Re: .204 Ruger

Postby Roverhound » Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:31:28

Not much information here. What ammo and bullet weights did you try? What is the twist rate of the barrel?
Did you clean the barrel? Could be copper or a carbon ring in it. Did you look at the barrel crown?

Roverhound
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Walter

My Arsenal:
Is at the bottom of a lake...

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 27 Dec 2017 10:47:28

Shoot cardboard instead of paper to 100% confirm that the bullet is tumbling rather than cheap paper tearing.

In my experience, it is rarely the ammo selection causing a tumbling problem in a rifle. Generally speaking, even the wrong weight should be mostly stable out to 75-100 yards. Another reason I doubt its the ammo is because the .204 Ruger barrel should ONLY have a 1 in 12 twist rate and that "should" stabilize all commercially available 5mm rounds.

If rounds are actually tumbling, there are a handful of problems that cause this.

- Bullet is moving too slow for the twist rate
- Bullet is moving too fast for the twist rate
- Bullet doesn't chamber correctly
- Rifling damage
- The barrel crown is damaged
- The bullet is too small (i.e. the barrel is shot out)

What is the twist rate of your barrel? If it is anything other than 1 in 12, I would get rid of it or replace the barrel. It's likely the wrong barrel.

You mentioned trying a couple different types of ammo, but were they different weights, different brands or both?

If you have already tried a variety of grain and brand bullets, I would take the gun to an actual gun smith to have the chamber, leade and bore checked. If the ID is in spec and he says the inside of the barrel is healthy, I would have it re-crowned. It should cost about $25.

Also, I am assuming its a rotating bolt assembly. It can't hurt to have the clearance and timing checked... ensuring its clocking to the correct position and there is no excessive play once closed.

I hope I'm wrong (hard to troubleshoot over the internet LOL), but basically , I think you're spending money to have the gun fixed. It's just a question of if its $25 for a re-crown or $150 for a new barrel.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Ironbear » Wed, 27 Dec 2017 22:12:17

I'm thinking .204 Ruger is one of those rounds that as well as being overbore, people like to hotrod. So look for a burned out throat. Another possibility, that I saw once, is where a gun had been rechambered but not remarked (totally asking for trouble if you ask me!).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Roverhound » Thu, 28 Dec 2017 08:08:28

I don't consider the .204 as overbore. I think the reports of burnt out barrels are pretty much overstated. Here's a good article on the .20 calibers.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridg ... 20caliber/

Roverhound
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:

Postby Snakester » Sat, 30 Dec 2017 23:00:47

I know NOTHING about the 204 Ruger....it's kinda like the .327 Federal . I shoot neither but , I have a friend that just purchased a Ruger Predator in .204 Ruger. He says he plans to make this his Coyote and Groundhog firearm of choice. He has ordered a Scope and mounts and is anxious to get it to the range. We now just need a little warmer day ! :ak47:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby Roverhound » Sun, 31 Dec 2017 07:55:20

I have the Ruger 77 V/T. .204 is a great round. Fast, flat shooting and very economical to reload.
My fox load uses a 39 gr Sierra Blitz King at 3900 fps. I can get a single ragged hole with 5 shots at 100 yards with it and have taken foxes down at over 200 yards easily.
I was setting up at the top of my land and scanning the fields at night for the "Poultry Protection Program".

Roverhound
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:

Return to Ammunition and Reloading