Benchmaster BenchMaster Carry BagBenchMaster Carry Bag
Benchmaster
    Benchmaster BenchMaster Field SpikesBenchMaster Field Spikes
Benchmaster
    Benchmaster BenchMaster (Cadillac)BenchMaster (Cadillac)
Benchmaster

Why no VA CHP reciprocity with AL & GA?

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

Why no VA CHP reciprocity with AL & GA?

Postby Chasbo00 » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:20:33

Can anyone explain why VA has CHP reciprocity with nearly all of the southern states except for AL and GA – why are AL and GA exceptions?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Re: Why no VA CHP reciprocity with AL & GA?

Postby OakRidgeStars » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:04:16

It's only because Alabama and Georgia don't feel that Virginia permit holders are qualified to carry in their respective states.

However, both states will honor a Utah permit.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby Chasbo00 » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:40:39

OakRidgeStars wrote:It's only because Alabama and Georgia don't feel that Virginia permit holders are qualified to carry in their respective states.

Based on what? For example, GA honors PA and neither GA or PA has any training requirement for a concealed carry permit as does VA. I could understand VA balking at GA not having a training requirement, but VA honors PA which also does not have a training requirement.

I've only looked at this state reciprocity issue in a limited manner so far and mainly from a geographical slant; but, I don't really see any logic to it all, at least not yet.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:54:37

In a word... politics

It's what makes the world go round.

Find a Utah permit class in your area and you'll have all that you need to carry in those states.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby Chasbo00 » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:05:14

OakRidgeStars wrote:In a word... politics

It's what makes the world go round.

I was beginning to suspect it was mainly politics. :roll: I'll buy that. Who or what organization within VA is responsible for working out reciprocity agreements with other states?

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Vahunter » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:18:49

I got a Pa. nonresident permit for $25.00. I got it quicker than I thought the mial would deliver. I mail the application on a Monday and recieved the permit that Friday. I depends on which county you apply in as to how fast it's processed. That was fast.

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby Chasbo00 » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:59:02

That's great to hear about your good news regarding a PA CCP. That would work for GA but not AL in my case. I'll probably end up going with a non-resident FL permit as my current training is good enough and I won't need to take a class as I would for UT. Besides, I think FL now offers more additional states than does UT. Don't know about the respective fees though.

However, I would prefer not to have to get any additional permits. If I lived in TN and had a TN CCP, then I would have reciprocity with all the states VA does plus not only AL and GA, but also NV, CO, KS, MN, and NH (six more states). Why can't VA do as well as TN?

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby tursiops » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:02:30

FL is $117 for 7 years, if I remember correctly from a few months ago. I was in Orlando on business, and stopped by the State office and did the whole thing electronically on-line including fingerprints, in about 20 minutes.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
tursiops
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: yes

Postby ProShooter » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:24:20

The Utah permit is absolutely the way to go. Much cheaper in the long run compared to Florida.

My students who have taken our Utah permit class always comment about how they learned something and enjoyed the class.

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby Chasbo00 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:34:07

ProShooter wrote:The Utah permit is absolutely the way to go. Much cheaper in the long run compared to Florida.

My students who have taken our Utah permit class always comment about how they learned something and enjoyed the class.

After doing a little research, I think FL has a lower cost for me (I'm an old guy and now tend to look at things in the relatively short term). I calculate FL at $117 for 7 years and UT at 150.25 for 5 years (UT includes an $85 training class). Additionally, I find that FL provides coverage for one more additional state than does UT for someone who already has a VA CHP.

However, I'm sure I would enjoy your class and learn something too.

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby totes6 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:13:58

Chasbo00 wrote:Based on what? For example, GA honors PA and neither GA or PA has any training requirement for a concealed carry permit as does VA. I could understand VA balking at GA not having a training requirement, but VA honors PA which also does not have a training requirement.

I've only looked at this state reciprocity issue in a limited manner so far and mainly from a geographical slant; but, I don't really see any logic to it all, at least not yet.

Not the bold line above. VA requires training. If the state does not require training, then VA will most likely not provide reciprocity. I'm not sure about AL or GA, but in VA if the state does not recognize a VA CHP, then VA will not recognize their CHP/Conceal Carry Permit/Conceal Weapon permit/etc what ever the states calls it. If AL and GA follows that same style for granting reciprocity, because we don't recognize theirs they will not recognize ours.

This is one reason that UT's permit is popular since UT recognizes all of the states issued permits. Whether you are from VA or PA or one of the other 50 states.

totes6
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Chasbo00 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:42:02

totes6 wrote:... VA requires training. If the state does not require training, then VA will most likely not provide reciprocity. I'm not sure about AL or GA, but in VA if the state does not recognize a VA CHP, then VA will not recognize their CHP/Conceal Carry Permit/Conceal Weapon permit/etc what ever the states calls it. If AL and GA follows that same style for granting reciprocity, because we don't recognize theirs they will not recognize ours.

This is one reason that UT's permit is popular since UT recognizes all of the states issued permits. Whether you are from VA or PA or one of the other 50 states.

I thought the training requirement might be a determinant too; but, PA is a "not-so" example. PA has no training requirement and VA has a full and formal (written) reciprocity agreement with PA.

Also, with respect to mutual reciprocity or recognition, VA will honor permits from WA and MN, but WA and MN won't honor a VA permit according to how I read these two sources:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby ProShooter » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 07:18:49

Chasbo00 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:The Utah permit is absolutely the way to go. Much cheaper in the long run compared to Florida.

After doing a little research, I think FL has a lower cost for me (I'm an old guy and now tend to look at things in the relatively short term). I calculate FL at $117 for 7 years and UT at 150.25 for 5 years (UT includes an $85 training class). Additionally, I find that FL provides coverage for one more additional state than does UT for someone who already has a VA CHP.

However, I'm sure I would enjoy your class and learn something too.

The savings comes in on the renewals. Florida's renewal is something like $75. IIRC. Utah is $10. What kind of training did you use for your Virginia permit? If it was a class, you could deduct that cost factor from the $150.25 as the one class wil satisfy by state's training requirements.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby Chasbo00 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:51:08

ProShooter wrote:The savings comes in on the renewals. Florida's renewal is something like $75. IIRC. Utah is $10. What kind of training did you use for your Virginia permit? If it was a class, you could deduct that cost factor from the $150.25 as the one class wil satisfy by state's training requirements.

That's quite a difference on the renewals. I used my 24 years in the Army as training for my VA permit.

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby tursiops » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:04:10

I think the FL renewal is $65 if you are resident, but $107 if you are not (that's us!).
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/fees.html
I'm not sure because I haven't renewed yet....

tursiops
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: yes

Postby gatorbait » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:06:22

Rather a long time ago, already holding my Virginia resident permit, I sought one from another jurisdiction so I could travel I-95 between Virginia and Florida carrying concealed all the way. I finally just got a Florida one using my Virginia training certificate (which Fairfax County required me to "buy" despite my having served 3 years in the infantry).

I was puzzled at the absence of VA-FL reciprocity and wrote to our Attorney General (simply an inquiry) and asked why. His office replied that Virginia law required that the coverage of the two states' permits have the same scope. As you know (my recollection) our permit covers handguns only; that's why it's abbreviation doesn't have a "W" in it--only an "H." If Virginia reciprocated fully with Florida the interstate compact would have the effect of allowing us, even in Virginia, to carry concealed (dangerous) bladed weapons and such critters as numchucks (sp?) and those ninja throwing stars that the movies so adore.

I hope that's essentially accurate; it's a very old recollection of a very old coot.

gatorbait
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
S&W .38 Spl. revolver, mfg. 1915
Beretta .32 ACP Bobcat, in box unfired
S&W .38 Spl. revolver, snubby, in box
Iver Johnson revolver .22 LR, 8-round
M1911 .45 ACP, delivered 1912, S/N 71##

Postby LFS » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:07:39

If I'm not mistaken, part of the reciprocity agreement might also have to do with access to CHP/CCP information for verification purposes. States have different ways at getting the information and letting other states have access to it. That may be the reason VA has reciprocity with PA but not GA.

In the end, I took the Utah class from ProShooter. I'd recommend it.

LFS
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Had to sell them all to buy a tank of gas.

Postby Chasbo00 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:10:50

Many thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to reply in this thread. I learned a lot and truly appreciate your input. This morning I figured out where to send an email to the Virginia State Police that was likely to get an informed answer (firearms@vsp.virginia.gov). I got an answer very quickly and it's quite logical. Here it is:

"For permit reciprocity or recognition, Virginia law requires that the issuing authority provide the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day. Alabama and Georgia have reported that they do not have this capability at this time."

Again, thanks to all who have responded in this thread.

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby ProShooter » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:30:32

LFS wrote:In the end, I took the Utah class from ProShooter. I'd recommend it.

Thanks LFS!

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby zephyp » Sat, 01 May 2010 08:24:17

Chasbo00 wrote:Can anyone explain why VA has CHP reciprocity with nearly all of the southern states except for AL and GA – why are AL and GA exceptions?

Actually there are a couple of reasons --

AL is a may issue state...permits are issued by the local sheriff. Word has it that they usually issue unless they have good reason not to, but they can pre-exempt the state law and place additional restrictions for their counties. Also, you cannot carry period in any vehicle without a permit. AL does not issue non-resident permits.

Not sure about GA. States normally consider reciprocity with other states having similar laws. I'm guessing that AL and VA have either individually or mutually decided there are too may dissimilarities to grant reciprocity.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Next

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations