What is the best way to learn gun laws?

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

What is the best way to learn gun laws?

Postby TonyInVa » Tue, 09 May 2017 18:05:35

What is the best way to learn gun laws? These days the internet is the go to source, but is it right. I often find many answers with many grey areas that leave things up to interpretation. One of the specific things I am looking for is what is needed to own a short barrel rifle. The gun I intend to turn into a short barrel rifle is a CZ Scorpion Pistol with a stock.

TonyInVa
On Target
On Target

Re: What is the best way to learn gun laws?

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 09 May 2017 19:08:44

The best way? Consult a lawyer.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

There is grey area, of course, and I am convinced that the confusing and not-so-clear language is intentional. You'll note that confusing legal code is not restricted to firearm law; it's everywhere.

One thing that I try to do, is find case law in regard to the specific code in question. Has anyone been convicted of breaking that law? If so, why? If not, why not? Apply your findings to what you want to do. If someone did precisely what you wanted to do, and spent a year in jail, clearly you don't want to do it. But, if you find that someone did what you want to do, was arrested, but not convicted, then precedent should allow you to proceed.

Let me be very clear, here:

I am NOT a lawyer!

Hope this helps.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 09 May 2017 20:15:55

TonyInVa wrote:One of the specific things I am looking for is what is needed to own a short barrel rifle.

nothing other than the short barreled rifle.

Now owning it without the receipt for the tax being paid for the permission slip to make it.. well that's a whole different story. That includes a new roommate, and a lot less control over your life.

The gun I intend to turn into a short barrel rifle is a CZ Scorpion Pistol with a stock.

Done lots of NFA making, and I'll be happy to help you with the process. To kick things off...

the short version:
file ATF from 1 "Application to Make and Register a Firearm ", pay $200.
wait about 12 months
get approved form back from ATF
engrave your information onto the receiver, or barrel of the firearm
go buy conversion parts
assemble
enjoy

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby TonyInVa » Tue, 09 May 2017 21:09:20

SHMIV wrote:The best way? Consult a lawyer.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

There is grey area, of course, and I am convinced that the confusing and not-so-clear language is intentional. You'll note that confusing legal code is not restricted to firearm law; it's everywhere.

One thing that I try to do, is find case law in regard to the specific code in question. Has anyone been convicted of breaking that law? If so, why? If not, why not? Apply your findings to what you want to do. If someone did precisely what you wanted to do, and spent a year in jail, clearly you don't want to do it. But, if you find that someone did what you want to do, was arrested, but not convicted, then precedent should allow you to proceed.

Let me be very clear, here:

I am NOT a lawyer!

Hope this helps.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Thanks. Only backed up what I all ready thought. Especially about the grey areas.

TonyInVa
On Target
On Target

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations