Open carry in a National Forest

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

Open carry in a National Forest

Postby wittmeba » Mon, 07 Aug 2017 15:48:06

Open carry in a National Forest.

From this link VCDL carry guide http://www.vcdl.org/CarryInfo in a National Forest it is prohibited to open carry. New Castle Va is in the Jefferson National Forest.

My son asked if it was legal to carry while we were on a jeep run at Potts Mountain (not Potts Slope where the gun range is located). I told him yes but now I am concerned I was incorrect. It appears to be only CC. The VCDL will have an open carry day in New Castle right in front of the courthouse so there must be some overriding rule.

Anyone shed some light on this topic?
If all the laws worked, there would never be any crime.

I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Re: Open carry in a National Forest

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 07 Aug 2017 17:28:55

So, Congress approved a law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. The law allows people to openly carry legal owned or possessed handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute.

Basically, there are no longer any federal laws restricting possession of non-NFA weapons in National Parks. However, state laws will apply within state boundaries of said park. There are still some Federal restrictions on some NFA items, such as machine guns, for example.

More details can be found at the National Park Service website... https://www.nps.gov

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Roverhound » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 21:59:04

Your information is not correct. The national forest is not a national park. The same rules don't apply.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 066182.pdf

Roverhound
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Walter

My Arsenal:
Is at the bottom of a lake...

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 13 Aug 2017 06:09:42

Not to be too picky, but you said I was wrong, and then posted a document that supports my point.

I said that there are no federal laws that cover non-nfa weapons, it's up to the state. The very first sentence in the document you linked say "First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National Forest are State Laws."

So, I'm a little confused as to what I'm wrong about. That is, with the exception of saying park instead of forest... But the law I mentioned covers both (federal public use lands).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby wittmeba » Sun, 13 Aug 2017 08:44:54

Thanks for the additional posts.

I remain fully confused. The VCDL will have an Open Carry day hosted in New Castle just in front of the Court House. New Castle is the Jefferson National Forest. There must be some exception somewhere. What am I missing?
If all the laws worked, there would never be any crime.

I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby WRW » Sun, 13 Aug 2017 13:38:40

The town is not federal property. The forest surrounding the town is federal.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby Roverhound » Mon, 14 Aug 2017 07:09:59

Oh jeez. :roll:
• The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit
to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle
while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a
primitive weapons season or chase only season.

Roverhound
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Walter

My Arsenal:
Is at the bottom of a lake...

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations