Non-Resident Long Gun Purchase

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

Non-Resident Long Gun Purchase

Postby FlyersFan » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:09:44

Greetings from the People's Republic of New Jersey! I have a quick question for your kind Virginia folks. I have received conflicting information about whether or not New Jersey residents can purchase long guns in Virginia. NJ law allows us to purchase long guns in any state, provided we possess a NJ Firearms ID Card. Every VA Wal-Mart I've been in seems to allow NJ residents to purchase long guns - In fact, I spoke to a manager at the Wal-Mart in Lynchburg who kindly informed me that NJ residents were allowed to purchase long guns there. However, I was recently told by a manager at a Dick's Sporting Goods store in Northern VA that NJ residents were not allowed to purchase any type of firearm in VA. I was hoping you folks could give me a straight answer on this.

Thanks so much!

FlyersFan
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: Non-Resident Long Gun Purchase

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:17:44

FlyersFan welcome aboard. :welcome:

As far as I know, you do not have to be a Virginia state resident to purchase a long gun here. Dick's Sporting Goods may have their own policy which precludes your purchase, but state and federal law do not prohibit it.

If you're over 18 years of age, you can purchase a rifle or shotgun from an FFL dealer in any state (as long as it's not a "pistol-grip" long gun, in which case, you need to be 21 years of age).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in ... ted_States

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby GS78 » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:21:35

If I was you, I would go back to that walmart
'those who hammer their guns into plows , will plow for those who don't'

"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."...George Orwell

GS78
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby zephyp » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 22:54:01

I believe anyone 18 or over can legally purchase a rifle or shotgun in any other state provided they comply with the laws of both states...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby FlyersFan » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 23:49:00

:wave: Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I am thinking the manager at Dick's was simply mistaken, or was following some sort of misguided store policy. Either way, I was quite baffled at Dick's when after I filled out all the paperwork, passed the background check, and took the walk up to the cash registers that I was confronted with a manager saying it was "illegal" for them to sell rifles to residents of certain states, including New Jersey. I find it hilarious when people create gun laws out of thin air...Congress does enough of that - we don't need others doing it as well!

I hope they properly handle all the paperwork I filled out too. I don't want some nutjob committing a crime with the gun I was going to buy and have the cops come knocking at my door thinking I own it!

FlyersFan
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby zephyp » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 04:56:09

FlyersFan wrote::wave: Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I am thinking the manager at Dick's was simply mistaken, or was following some sort of misguided store policy. Either way, I was quite baffled at Dick's when after I filled out all the paperwork, passed the background check, and took the walk up to the cash registers that I was confronted with a manager saying it was "illegal" for them to sell rifles to residents of certain states, including New Jersey. I find it hilarious when people create gun laws out of thin air...Congress does enough of that - we don't need others doing it as well!

I hope they properly handle all the paperwork I filled out too. I don't want some nutjob committing a crime with the gun I was going to buy and have the cops come knocking at my door thinking I own it!

The manager was part right/part wrong. It depends on what kind of rifle. If a certain kind of rifle like "assault" is illegal in NJ as a NJ resident it is illegal for you to purchase one in VA or any other state.

What kind of rifle did you try to buy and can you buy this same type of rifle in NJ? I'm ignorant (and thankfully so) of gun laws in NJ btw...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
My Favs:

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby FlyersFan » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:39:21

zephyp wrote:The manager was part right/part wrong. It depends on what kind of rifle. If a certain kind of rifle like "assault" is illegal in NJ as a NJ resident it is illegal for you to purchase one in VA or any other state.

What kind of rifle did you try to buy and can you buy this same type of rifle in NJ? I'm ignorant (and thankfully so) of gun laws in NJ btw...

That's a good point, zephyp. It was actually a standard Ruger 10/22 rifle with a wooden stock, haha - definitely legal here in the Garden State. They have them at my local gun shop for around $230, which is why I was more than willing to buy one at that Northern VA Dick's store for $189, with the $10 off any firearm sale going on right now.

And yeah, NJ gun laws are pretty ridiculous. You folks are lucky to live in such a gun-friendly state!

FlyersFan
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby Vahunter » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:28:37

The wal marts in North Carolina where I work have a map posted of states where they can and can not sell guns to a resident of. Unless it has changed the peoples republic of New jersey was on the black list. I think it has to due with the tight restrictions in jersey on guns and the police don't want you to be able to buy a gun and some how get around the states registration. You might as well move here in the county I live in. We have a population of 12K and I think 10K are from jersey. Hell one more won't hurt. :whistle: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby zephyp » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:01:02

FlyersFan wrote:
zephyp wrote:The manager was part right/part wrong. It depends on what kind of rifle. If a certain kind of rifle like "assault" is illegal in NJ as a NJ resident it is illegal for you to purchase one in VA or any other state.

That's a good point, zephyp. It was actually a standard Ruger 10/22 rifle with a wooden stock, haha - definitely legal here in the Garden State. They have them at my local gun shop for around $230, which is why I was more than willing to buy one at that Northern VA Dick's store for $189, with the $10 off any firearm sale going on right now.

And yeah, NJ gun laws are pretty ridiculous. You folks are lucky to live in such a gun-friendly state!

Yeah those 10/22 super "assault" rifles are pretty wicked. I'd take Henry up on his offer and move to Charlotte County...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
My Favs:

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby Diomed » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:50:56

Vahunter wrote:The wal marts in North Carolina where I work have a map posted of states where they can and can not sell guns to a resident of. Unless it has changed the peoples republic of New jersey was on the black list. I think it has to due with the tight restrictions in jersey on guns and the police don't want you to be able to buy a gun and some how get around the states registration.

That's probably a company policy, not a law thing. It's just easier to give a blanket "no" than it is to come up with a comprehensive set of procedures and then train all the relevant employees on it.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations