Live in VA, orders to DC

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

Live in VA, orders to DC

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Sat, 07 Apr 2018 20:01:24

Hey everyone! I've been trying to chase this down to see how I can legally acquire a new pistol. I know that since I am 'not a resident' of VA due to orders putting me in DC and purchasing a pistol is almost impossible. I cannot purchase anything but long guns with my IN license at a VA gun shop.

I am a resident t of IN. Is it possible to purchase a pistol in IN and have it transferred to an FFL in VA and take possession of it? They won't sell me a gun here, could they at least take the 25-30 bucks and hand it to me?

I know, I know. By law I am a DC Resident (such dirty words) but could I go home and purchase a pistol and get it transferred to a VA FFL is what I am asking.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Re: Live in VA, orders to DC

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 07 Apr 2018 20:11:23

If you live in Virgina and have a Virginia IS showing your place of residence in Virginia, than you can execute a firearms transfer in Va...

I'm not sure there is any way around that for handguns. I would talk to an NFL and see what they say about it.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Sat, 07 Apr 2018 20:16:31

What is VA IS? I own a house and pay taxes, utilites, etc.

Is there anything preventing a private party transfer? (Don't worry, not looking for any syltrawman purchase type of things)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 07 Apr 2018 21:14:26

Auto-correct changed it from Virginia ID.

If you are a Virginia resident and have government issued ID that reflects that, you can buy a handgun in Virginia. I'm not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure if you are not a resident and intentionally engage in a private sale to get around the laws, both you and the seller may be committing a felony. I'm not a lawyer... that is just an "I think".

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Utah » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 09:10:28

Your issue is your orders have your duty station in DC...if they had you stationed in VA you would be good to go. Your only other option would be to purchase in IN then ship it to yourself.
"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
(Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Utah
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 17:32:39

as a member of the military you potentially have 3 thing going on.

Duty station
Home of record
Domicile

You need to have proper ID to complete the transaction, and the ID's you have will dictate where the purchase/transfer can occur.

The transfer can not occur in VA because you don't hold a gov't ID or PCS orders that show you as a VA resident.

Buying a pistol in DC... well we know the story there.

Given your Id's your only option is to take possession in IN, and then bring it to VA yourself.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 11 Apr 2018 07:24:41

If you own a house in Virginia, and you are currently living in it, become a Virginia resident, and be done with it.

That should eliminate the necessity of looking for legal loopholes, or running back to Indiana every time you want a new pistol.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Sat, 14 Apr 2018 11:57:25

Thanks all! I feared that would be the case.

DC doesn't sell, but Charlie Sykes rapes you with a 125 dollar transfer fee. Ouch.

Getting a license here doesn't look bad either. Mine is up in Dec. Might as well get one that reflects address and be good to go.

Should open another thread, but do any of you own NFA items? Like SBR and suppressor? I want to buy an EVO 805 and turn into SBR with a can...or build a .300blk ground up.

Ideas? I think if I was to obtain a VA drivers license it would fix almost ALL of my problems.

SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 14 Apr 2018 14:20:07

SnakeWIthAGun wrote:I think if I was to obtain a VA drivers license it would fix almost ALL of my problems.

QFT!

If you are going to start a new thread... I have some input on the SBR stuff. Other may as well.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Sat, 21 Jul 2018 13:13:06

Hi guys,

I work with a guy, he still retains his license see in Texas. It has his VA address listed on it, and no gun store that he frequents turns him away.

Any insight on this?

I feel that if change my license to VA, they will start busting my balls for property taxes on vehicles, etc. Right now, I am exempt.

SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations