FNH USA .308 10-Rd TacticalBox Mag TSR / SPR.308 10-Rd TacticalBox Mag TSR / SPR
FNH USA
    FNH USA TBM Conversion Kit for SPRTBM Conversion Kit for SPR
FNH USA
    FNH USA FNS-9 Magazine 17-Rnd BlackFNS-9 Magazine 17-Rnd Black
FNH USA

First weapon purchase. Need a license?

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

First weapon purchase. Need a license?

Postby G36Kilo » Mon, 18 May 2009 23:21:11

Im looking to purchase my first weapon witch will be a side arm. Do I just buy from a dealer and have it registered or Do i need a license first? I know I need a license for concealment but just for open carry, Im not sure.

G36Kilo
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: First weapon purchase. Need a license?

Postby allingeneral » Tue, 19 May 2009 00:19:52

Hi Kilo - Welcome aboard!

No, you don't need a license to purchase a sidearm. You just need to fill out the Firearm transfer form (ATF Form 4473) and pass a 2-minute NICS background check.

Here's the basic form/questionnaire. Right click and "View Image" to view full-size (readable)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby zephyp » Tue, 19 May 2009 04:20:20

Hi Kilo, ditto what Rick said and there is no need to register your sidearm here in VA. It is not required by any law.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby G36Kilo » Fri, 22 May 2009 18:46:50

Thanks guys

G36Kilo
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby herohog » Sat, 23 May 2009 21:03:48

Just FYI: There is no Federal regulation requiring a license to purchase any gun. You DO need to fill out form 4473 as stated before for guns purchased from a Federally Licensed gun dealer. Private sales of guns between to US citizens does not require that you have the background check and there is no need for the 4473 either. However, on a private sell, you DO need to follow all applicable laws both State and Federal but that basically boils down to making sure the buyer is a legal US citizen and is not a convicted felon and is of legal age (18 for long guns and 21 for hand guns). You can buy Fully automatic weapons after you pass several background checks and pay $200 for a Tax Stamp as well as getting the approval of the local Law Enforcement Official. There are a few more minor rules regarding storage etc. but this is just enough info. to get your feet wet so to speak).

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any more questions. I Highly recommend you join the VCDL and look over all the info available on their web site.

herohog
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Speedy

Postby Bobtail1911 » Tue, 26 May 2009 07:02:58

What kind of handgun are you looking for?
Revolver or automatic? :packin:
Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911 in Desert Tan and SS
Stop CONGRESS now!>> http://reformcongress.org/
The best insurance is your own 1911 semi-automatic pistol...http://www.metrohealthquote.com

Bobtail1911
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mark

My Arsenal:
None of your business

Postby gregj » Tue, 26 May 2009 12:49:26

As stated, no license or registration needed. But IIRC, you will need 2 forms of id showing the same address, such as a Va DL and a voter registration card. Show these, fill the form, then go to the range.

gregj
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
A Daisy Red Ryder, and a Daisy pellet pistol.

Postby G36Kilo » Wed, 27 May 2009 09:35:45

Thank you so much guys. Planed on buying a high point 40 SW. Im probably going to catch flack for this but I read online and it seems the only people who give negative comments are those who are speculating.

One problem for me. I moved back here to va and I havnt changed my license back to va (currently is PA license) and probably I dont have anything showing my current address except pay stub. Man i was planning on buying this weekend, im dooooom.

I dont like revolvers. Im going to pretend this highpoint is a glock until I can make the move on one how ever id prolly buy an ar variant before investing on another side arm. Most likely armalite.

Thanks again so much guys.

G36Kilo
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby gregj » Wed, 27 May 2009 12:03:07

Dont let folks get to you. I have a Hi Point C9, and I enjoy shooting it, almost as much as I do my Sigs (almost). After I polished the feed ramp and got the mag lips adjusted, there have been no failures of any kind. I bought mine for the same reasons many folks do, wanted to wade into the semi-auto waters without having to drop a lot of coin. I dont regret getting it, and doubt I'll ever sell it. It's not the best looking firearms out there, but it's not the worst looking either. Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as long as I beholding it, it's been pretty reliable and accurate.

If you want to know more about the Hi Point, check this forum out.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/

gregj
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
A Daisy Red Ryder, and a Daisy pellet pistol.

Postby herohog » Wed, 27 May 2009 16:46:27

I have a 1911 semi-auto and several others including an AutoMag and I bought a C9 Hi-Point. I have owned these before back when I had my FFL and I sold a ton of them. My customers and I never had any issues with them. When they came back around again, I bought one because, at the time, I didn't have anything in 9mm (9x19) yet I had plenty of 9mm ammo and reloading dies and brass for one. Not long after I bought it, in fact, a week later, I bought a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm. It too is considered a cheap gun but "better" than the Hi-Point. I got it because it was small, and like the Hi-Point, it was affordable and reliable with a factory warranty that simply can't be beat!

I am buying a Beretta 9mm here soon but it

herohog
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Speedy

Postby G36Kilo » Sat, 30 May 2009 10:10:47

You know, I figured all the reports I were seeing about hi point were mostly BS on the grounds of no experience. Thanks guys for confirming that.

G36Kilo
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby cwats04 » Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:30:54

i have seen problems with Hi-points first hand and am not speculating
now granted every brand will have a problem with one or two guns out of thousands which this very well could be.
my friend bought one and had nothing but feed problems FTF and FTE along with FTF

the gun would fire 2 rounds and on the 3rd would not feed. and yes i changed the mags so i know it was not that. on other mags it would do it randomly atlest 2 times per mag. even tried it with mags from another hipoint that worked and it didnt help. tried different ammo but nothing.

while they are cheap and serve the purpose,as the first rule about a gun fight is have a gun, shop around you never know what you will find for sale. you can find some used guns that are in good shape and wont be much more.
i bought a used PA-63 for $150 and it shoots great and i trust it with my life

cwats04
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: C

Next Firearm:

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations