Expired Va. Concealed Carry Permit Question

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

Expired Va. Concealed Carry Permit Question

Postby MASONMAN » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:47:25

First time post and first day on the forum so bear with me if this has been brought up a million times. I did search the forums first but didn't find clarification on this topic.

I had a Virginia concealed carry permit but it expired three years ago (I know.....I know....). I want to renew it now but do I need to provide proof of proficiency again or is my expired permit all I need besides the application and payment? The reason I ask is that I have no idea where any of my firearms course completion certificates are and I really don't want to take another course just to get the paper.

Thanks (in advance) for clarification!

MASONMAN
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Kimber .45

Re: Expired Va. Concealed Carry Permit Question

Postby MASONMAN » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:08:33

I called the circuit court and they gave me the answer (didn't even have to wait on hold very long!). No proof of proficiency needed for a renewal and I can even do it by mail.

MASONMAN
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Kimber .45

Re: Expired Va. Concealed Carry Permit Question

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:10:32

Just fill out a new app, and bring that along with the fee and your old permit to the Clerk's Office. No need to take another class.

oh, and its "proof of competency", not "proof of proficiency"..there is a difference. :)

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

ads

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations