Drinking While Carrying

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

Drinking While Carrying

Postby jthrelf » Mon, 12 Dec 2016 13:59:26

Hello All,

I'm a Pennsylvania resident and planning some vacation time in VA in the Shenandoah Valley region. As such, I plan on visiting some different wineries. Is there a law on the books prohibiting any sort of alcohol consumption? To be clear, this isn't about getting intoxicated or having multiple drinks. This is more about wine tasting or one drink with dinner. I do plan on carrying concealed, rather than open.

I've read the handgunlaw.us Virginia page, and it says carrying in restaurants that serve alchohol is ok. But it doesn't go into detail about: carrying in bars (is a winery different?), consumption, etc.

For context, PA has no laws related to alcohol or carrying in bars/restaurants. My usual protocol is to, similarly to above, have only one drink with dinner while carrying.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
jthrelf
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: Drinking While Carrying

Postby wittmeba » Mon, 12 Dec 2016 14:35:51

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Res ... ealed.shtm

Any person granted a concealed handgun permit who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such weapon in a public place shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Prohibited Conduct and Where Unlawful to Carry - Section 18.2-308.012

Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Conviction of any of the following offenses shall be prima facie evidence, subject to rebuttal, that the person is "under the influence" for purposes of this section: manslaughter in violation of Section 18.2-36.1, maiming in violation of Section 18.2-51.4, driving while intoxicated in violation of Section 18.2-266, public intoxication in violation of Section 18.2-388, or driving while intoxicated in violation of Section 46.2-341.24.

No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in Section 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.

Additional information -- old but I believe still applies:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/12713174/gun ... n-virginia
If all the laws worked, there would never be any crime.

I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby kelu » Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:09:44

Now that raises a question. Can you drink (less than legal limit, of course) and instead of carrying concealed, you put the firearm in glove box?
Is that OK?
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby AlanM » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 06:31:48

Now that I think about it, I've had a full glass of wine while open carrying here in Virginia and neither I nor the person that served me mentioned it.

Considering my low tolerance for alcohol I probably shouldn't have had that wine.
Oh, well. Too late now.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 08:09:58

kelu wrote:Now that raises a question. Can you drink (less than legal limit, of course) and instead of carrying concealed, you put the firearm in glove box?

Not at the same time if you are driving the car. :clap:

If you're not in the car, then you're not in possession, and there is no firearm to be discussed.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

ads

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations