Castle doctorine upheld today!

VGOF Calendar Import Calendar Entry (.ics) for this topic The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

Re: Castle doctorine upheld today!

Postby Diomed » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 03:08:37

Chasbo00 wrote:VCDL has had plenty of time and opportunity to properly word a Castle Doctrine draft bill; yet, they have made no effort to do so. They have pursued other legislation instead. This is in spite of the fact that VCDL knows a large part of it's membership wants a Castle Doctrine. I don't buy VCDL's current spin on this issue.

VCDL is right; we don't need a castle doctrine or stand your ground law, because we already have them. The mistakes-in-the-making the legislature is currently considering seem to be the result of other parties agitating for them. Act in haste, repent at leisure.

What we need is an immunity from civil suit law. No more, no less.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby VBshooter » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 04:35:37

They also need to extend protection to wherever you may be , not just your home or domicile...Personally I would add protection of ones property to it too! I have to wonder of those submitting bills watered them down to hopefully get them passed easier... If one slips by we can always raise hell with the Governors office to Veto it
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Postby Chasbo00 » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:27:49

Diomed wrote:
Chasbo00 wrote:VCDL has had plenty of time and opportunity to properly word a Castle Doctrine draft bill; yet, they have made no effort to do so. They have pursued other legislation instead. This is in spite of the fact that VCDL knows a large part of it's membership wants a Castle Doctrine. I don't buy VCDL's current spin on this issue.

VCDL is right; we don't need a castle doctrine or stand your ground law, because we already have them. The mistakes-in-the-making the legislature is currently considering seem to be the result of other parties agitating for them. Act in haste, repent at leisure.

What we need is an immunity from civil suit law. No more, no less.

My issue with VCDL is that I believe they have been and remain disinterested in obtaining a Castle Doctrine for VA, but they are not acknowledging this. If they would simply say that rather than acting like a politician and fostering drama, I would have little issue with VCDL. They need to man-up and tell their membership that they just don't think a Castle Doctrine is needed in Virginia - if that's in fact their position. If they are in favor of a Castle Doctrine, then they need to quit making excuses and get busy doing whatever is needed in support of a Castle Doctrine effort - and do so publicly.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby DryBones » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:38:46

so what is the official stance in Virginia??? I keep hearing people tell me that I need to retreat as far into my home as possible until I am in a "back against the wall" position before I am legally okay to fire upon an intruder that means me harm. Help me understand the legals on this issue.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
DryBones
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Jason

My Arsenal:
Noneya

Next Firearm:
a few more

Postby GeneFrenkle » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:41:48

@chas - my umderstanding from folks is that castle doctrine would actually weaken the case law, so it isn't really necessary. IANAL, though.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby DryBones » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:50:23

DryBones wrote:so what is the official stance in Virginia??? I keep hearing people tell me that I need to retreat as far into my home as possible until I am in a "back against the wall" position before I am legally okay to fire upon an intruder that means me harm. Help me understand the legals on this issue.

Anybody? :dunno:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
DryBones
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Noneya

Next Firearm:
a few more

Postby WRW » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:09:57

Retreat is for those that were a party to the altercation, as in a verbal disagreement that was escalating to the point of violence. Otherwise, "stand your ground".

I wouldn't allow my research to stop here, was I you. There are other sites that have more comprehensive explanations of our self defense laws.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby DryBones » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:12:54

thanks, I'm mostly interested in the home invasion defense scenario but will keep searching and reading. Funny that my NRA instructor told me I had to retreat even in my home.... this didn't seem right to me.

DryBones
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Noneya

Next Firearm:
a few more

Postby WRW » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:30:10

DryBones, you did say "means me harm". In that scenario, you might have to justify that statement. A lawyer could be a huge asset toward that end.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby DryBones » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:32:50

WRW wrote:DryBones, you did say "means me harm". In that scenario, you might have to justify that statement. A lawyer could be a huge asset toward that end.

how about "if I feel they mean me harm, as in making advancing, aggressive movements"??? lots of grey in there I know.

DryBones
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Noneya

Next Firearm:
a few more

Postby WRW » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:44:59

"after an order to stop" couldn't hurt.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:36:53

If I'm sitting on chair in my study, typing this, and you come into my house by force?

You're a threat, I have retreated as far as I need to,and I'm sure that it wouldn't be a good experience for me legally...

...but a damned spite better than the bastage coming in by force. :whistle:

In other words, DEFEND YOURSELF! Worry about the aftermath, AFTERWARDS! Don't hesitate to defend your life, or family, because of being "sued". The bad guys bet on that.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby moss20 » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:58:37

Defend Yourself, then get a shovel.

Don't ask, don't tell.
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
T Jefferson

4-H Certified Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol, Archery & Muzzleloading Instructor
NRA/ATA Shotgun Coach

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
moss20
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Doug

My Arsenal:
One for every occasion ....... like shoes

Next Firearm:
Whatever I can find that interest me