Lyman Load Data Book 20, 22 CalLoad Data Book 20, 22 Cal
Lyman
    Lyman Load Data Book 24, 25, 6.5mmLoad Data Book 24, 25, 6.5mm
Lyman
    Lyman Load Data Book 270 & 7mmLoad Data Book 270 & 7mm
Lyman

Can a local MD resident come to NOVA for FTF purchase?

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

Can a local MD resident come to NOVA for FTF purchase?

Postby Batty67 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:48:05

Hello. Per these forums, I live in NoVA and I am looking to sell my Ruger carbine in 40 S&W and extras to a party in Baltimore who has contacted me. Can they legally come to NoVA and we complete a prviate sale with a signed and dated transfer letter for our records (not even required in VA). Or is that illegal and I need to send to a MD FFL, etc.?

Trying to expedite the sale, but legally of course. I had been informed that a FTF sale across state lines is a felony. Do not want to do anything illegal of course.

Thanks!

Batty67
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Mark

My Arsenal:
CZ 2075 RAMI BD (9mm)
M1 "tacticool" carbine (.30 carbine)
Ruger 10/22

Re: Can a local MD resident come to NOVA for FTF purchase?

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:50:33

Negative. You will need to use a FFL in Virginia to ship the rifle to a FFL in Maryland. No biggie, happens everyday.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Image @OakRidgeStars

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby joeshmo » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:00:23

Sounds shady if he is trying to come to va to do a ftf transaction.... He would know better, dont do it... If he says other wise or backs out of the deal when you mention a ffl report him to the mods asap

joeshmo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: what

My Arsenal:
I'll never tell

Next Firearm:
red rider bb gun

Postby Batty67 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:13:19

This is pretty much what I thought. I won't speculate if it is shady per se, but it won't happen FTF in VA. One suggestion I got from the Maryland SHooters website was we could meet at a MD FFL/gunshop, do a real-time transfer and background check, and if all goes well (no delays), go our separate ways...

Batty67
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
CZ 2075 RAMI BD (9mm)
Ruger 10/22

Postby joeshmo » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:23:48

First. The transfer must be between Maryland residents. That means that both the buyer and the seller must be legal Maryland residents.

Second. The buyer must have a Maryland issued handgun purchaser's card (or whatever they call the thing). In order to obtain one, the buyer would simply have to attend a screening of a video that the Maryland State Police put together many years ago. There is no written test or anything...they just have to be present in the room while the video is playing and they will receive a handgun purchaser's card (it's a fundamental firearms safety video). But, this IS a requirement. (Most gunshops have a TV/video player setup on their stores to show the requried video. I think it lasts about 45 minutes.)

Third. With firearms purchaser card in hand, the transfer must be done through a Maryland FFL dealer OR through the Maryland State Police, at any of the MD State Police barracks. I personally like to use the State Police, as they only charge a $10 transfer fee (payable by check or money order). The Maryland State Police are quite accomodating in this, as they promise to be open 24 hours a day, 356 days a year. BOTH the buyer and the seller must be at the State Police barracks to complete the paperwork and sign the documents. DO NOT walk into the MD State Police barracks with your handgun. Leave it LOCKED in the TRUNK of your car or in a LOCKED container that is behind the seat of your truck. A state trooper will go out to your vehicle with you to retrieve the handgun when it is time to record the serial number on the forms.

After completing the forms and paying the $10 transfer fee, the seller must then KEEP the handgun until he/she receives notice in the mail from the Maryland State Police that says that the transfer is "Not Dissaproved" (a politically correct way of saying, approved, but the State Police don't want to say they approve of anyone buying a handgun, so they say it is "Not Dissapproved"). After the seller receives such notification in the mail, they then have to meet with the buyer again and give the handgun over. At the point in time, the seller must also get the signature of the buyer on an additional form and mail one back to the MD State Police to show that the transfer has occured within 30 days of being not dissapproved.

That's it in a nutshell.
3 years ago Report Abuse

joeshmo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
I'll never tell

Next Firearm:
red rider bb gun

Postby Batty67 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:56:15

joeshmo, thanks for the info. But it is a carbine, not a handgun.

The MD shooters legal-eagles said I could legally transport the carbine (in a locked hard case out of my reach) to a pre-arranged (so they know it is coming) FFL/gunshop. They process the weapon on-site and get their transfer fee (so I drop it off in person instead of mailing it to them). They then run the background check on the buyer real-time and if that clears, we sign and date a letter documenting the sale, and go our separate ways.

How does this sound?

Batty67
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
CZ 2075 RAMI BD (9mm)
Ruger 10/22

Postby joeshmo » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:33:15

Now arnt I just dumb!! I thought you had a hand gun. Guess I should fully read your post!! :bangin:

joeshmo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
I'll never tell

Next Firearm:
red rider bb gun

Postby Diomed » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 03:33:37

Batty67 wrote:They process the weapon on-site and get their transfer fee (so I drop it off in person instead of mailing it to them).

Good grief, why? Are they charging you, the seller, and the buyer as well? Double dipping?

Just mail it to them. That's how it's normally done.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby drewlwsn » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:22:42

So glad I live in VA.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

drewlwsn
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Drew

My Arsenal:
S&W M&P 15, S&W M&P 15-22, S&W M&P40, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 702, Ruger SR9c, Kel Tec P3AT, Walther P22, IO Inc AK-47, Marlin 336

Next Firearm:
Glock 19

Postby jrswanson1 » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:37:48

If it isn't a "regulated" rifle, they can buy it from you and do a transfer at any Virginia FFL. They will need to bring two forms of ID with the same address on it.

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag