Page 1 of 1

Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 22:40:07
by CDW
Anybody planning on going? The wife and I went down there earlier today and were pretty disappointed. She's looking for a CCW gun and I thought the show would be a good place to see and handle many different models. They were advertising 350 tables or something like that, but I only saw maybe three vendors with new handguns on their tables. Very limited selection. Mostly just the historic display guys along with the beef jerky merchants. We did end up buying some fleece socks from a lady at one of the tables, but we didn't need to spend $16 on entrance fees to get socks. I think I'm done with gun shows for a while. We ended up stopping at A&P on the way home where she found a new S&W M&P 9C Compact that felt just right. Lesson learned, stick with the local shops.

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 07:50:15
by Hiwaytahell
If you are up for a short drive, try the gunshow in Richmond next weekend (showplace on Mechanicsville turnpike). One of the better ones to go to.

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:24:08
by OakRidgeStars
CDW wrote:I think I'm done with gun shows for a while. We ended up stopping at A&P on the way home where she found a new S&W M&P 9C Compact that felt just right. Lesson learned, stick with the local shops.


I couldn't agree more, the VB show is usually pretty disappointing. I made the rounds at the local shops yesterday too and found a deal too good to pass up.

A Kimber Ultra Raptor II with Tritium night sights :wub:

Since my digital camera is not working at the moment, here's a picture from the Kimber site.
Image

She's ultra-sweet and ultra-light :first:

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:05:18
by zephyp
Surprising you guys mention you've had it with gun shows for a while. I was just thinking this afternoon that we all shun places that dont let us carry - businesses that is. Why is it that we march gleefully into a gun show and allow them to strip tie our weapons while we spend money left and right? Just wondering.

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:46:30
by herohog
We do it because, at a gun show, there are a LOT of idiots handling a lot of guns. When we carry and meet, we don't touch our guns because it is simply isn't safe in general to do so.

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:20:09
by zephyp
herohog wrote:We do it because, at a gun show, there are a LOT of idiots handling a lot of guns. When we carry and meet, we don't touch our guns because it is simply isn't safe in general to do so.


Yes, but a gun free zone is a gun free zone and not everybody follows the rules. Simply one of those things that are sometimes wondered out loud.

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:09:00
by herohog
Agreed. It is a very double edged issue and I find myself agreeing with both sides. I look at it this way. I carry a knife and I carry a loaded magazine. IF, God forbid, I NEED to be loaded, I can be in a matter of a few seconds so I don't have an issue with keeping the gun unloaded and banded. The SECOND I am exiting the lobby, before I exit the door, I reload and am cocked, locked and ready to rock. Reverse on the way in.

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:19:09
by zephyp
herohog wrote:Agreed. It is a very double edged issue and I find myself agreeing with both sides. I look at it this way. I carry a knife and I carry a loaded magazine. IF, God forbid, I NEED to be loaded, I can be in a matter of a few seconds so I don't have an issue with keeping the gun unloaded and banded. The SECOND I am exiting the lobby, before I exit the door, I reload and am cocked, locked and ready to rock. Reverse on the way in.


:thumbsup: AND having your gun zip tied as long as you got a full mag and a knife is better than the no guns allowed period sign on the door.

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 21:14:37
by MountainCat
zephyp wrote:Surprising you guys mention you've had it with gun shows for a while. I was just thinking this afternoon that we all shun places that dont let us carry - businesses that is. Why is it that we march gleefully into a gun show and allow them to strip tie our weapons while we spend money left and right? Just wondering.


I've been wondering the same thing. I came to the conclusion that I don't want to be shot by some numb nut who improperly handled a loaded weapon in the middle of a crowd.

Anyway, I went through the show early Sat morning. There were several hundred people inside and only 20-30 bags of rounds at the gun check table when I left at about noon. :whistle:

Here's a link to the Richmond show on Jan 9:
http://www.cegunshows.com/ShowInformati ... fault.aspx

Does anyone know how to put it on the calendar here?

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 08:31:51
by zephyp
MountainCat wrote:
zephyp wrote:Surprising you guys mention you've had it with gun shows for a while. I was just thinking this afternoon that we all shun places that dont let us carry - businesses that is. Why is it that we march gleefully into a gun show and allow them to strip tie our weapons while we spend money left and right? Just wondering.


I've been wondering the same thing. I came to the conclusion that I don't want to be shot by some numb nut who improperly handled a loaded weapon in the middle of a crowd.

Anyway, I went through the show early Sat morning. There were several hundred people inside and only 20-30 bags of rounds at the gun check table when I left at about noon. :whistle:

Here's a link to the Richmond show on Jan 9:
http://www.cegunshows.com/ShowInformati ... fault.aspx

Does anyone know how to put it on the calendar here?


If you post a new topic the calendar widget opens and you can enter it there. Feel free to give it a try.

Re: Gun show at VB Convention Center this weekend

PostPosted: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:09:49
by allingeneral
zephyp wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
zephyp wrote:Surprising you guys mention you've had it with gun shows for a while. I was just thinking this afternoon that we all shun places that dont let us carry - businesses that is. Why is it that we march gleefully into a gun show and allow them to strip tie our weapons while we spend money left and right? Just wondering.


I've been wondering the same thing. I came to the conclusion that I don't want to be shot by some numb nut who improperly handled a loaded weapon in the middle of a crowd.

Anyway, I went through the show early Sat morning. There were several hundred people inside and only 20-30 bags of rounds at the gun check table when I left at about noon. :whistle:

Here's a link to the Richmond show on Jan 9:
http://www.cegunshows.com/ShowInformati ... fault.aspx

Does anyone know how to put it on the calendar here?


If you post a new topic the calendar widget opens and you can enter it there. Feel free to give it a try.


I have a list of all the gun shows for 2010 - just haven't gotten around to adding calendar entries for all of them. I post them in the appropriate Regional forum. I'll get caught up on this as soon as I can.