Unethical journalism: Couric alters words of VCDL members

The VCDL does a great job defending our rights under the Second Amendment here in Virginia. VA-Alerts are frequently sent out to subscribers and contain a wealth of information about upcoming action items and news stories.

This forum is an archive of VCDL's VA Alerts

Moderator: Taggure

Forum rules
Only VCDL VA Alerts and associated calendar entries are to be posted here. You may reply to the threads here, but please do not start a new one without moderator approval.

Unethical journalism: Couric alters words of VCDL members

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 23 May 2016 18:49:54

VA-ALERT: Unethical journalism: Couric alters words of VCDL members

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a Virginia Citizens Defense League member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join-VCDL
VCDL's calendar: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html
VA-ALERT archives: http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/=now

Creative editing by Katie Couric, who must have graduated from the Joseph Goebbels School of Journalism, has intentionally and significantly changed the response of VCDL members in a new video called Under the Gun - and I have PROOF.

VCDL APPROACHED TO BE PART OF A DOCUMENTARY

I received an email in March of 2015 from Kristin Lazure, a producer for Atlas Films, asking if VCDL would be part of "a documentary about the gun violence prevention movement in America.

In the email, Kristin said, "Some of the storylines we're exploring include the legislative process on the federal and state level, how the Second Amendment has been interpreted in the wake of the Supreme Court's Heller ruling, and what impact mass shootings like Aurora and Sandy Hook have on gun reform legislation. She continued, "In order to fully understand the complexities of this hot button topic and speak to an audience with varied viewpoints, Ms. Couric is very eager to include all perspectives in this discussion."

As is VCDL s general policy with the media, we do our best to accommodate their requests, as it gives us a chance to get our message out to the public. It is a policy that has worked well for as long as VCDL has been around, with the exception of four times, and this was to be one of those exceptions.

Katie s team was set up to film in Washington, DC, and Kristin wanted to know if I could come there for the interview. I said that I would not come to DC, so they rented a conference room in a hotel in Northern Virginia and brought down their crew for what ended up being a two hour interview with Katie on April 13, 2015. (The audio of the raw interview is below).

Later, Dennis O Connor and I took Katie and her crew to Blue Ridge Arsenal to film Katie learning how to shoot on May 11, 2015. While there, she also interviewed Dennis.

GROUP INTERVIEW

Later, Kristin contacted me about arranging an interview of a group of VCDL members.

The group interview was held in the room where VCDL meetings are held and ended just as VCDL members were coming in for the regularly scheduled Annandale membership meeting on June 18, 2015.

Participating in the group session were Ed Levine, Patricia Webb, Terrell Prude , Dan Hawes, Leonard Harris, John Wilburn, Rubiner Toor, Barak Ulrich James, and Judy Rudek.

THE DOCUMENTARY TURNS OUT TO BE AN INFOMERCIAL FOR GUN CONTROL

While the movie claims to be a documentary, it's clear after watching it that it was never intended to be a balanced presentation of the issues.

People from other gun groups were also interviewed, but in the end the video dedicated a mere fifteen minutes or so to the pro-self-defense side (of which VCDL had only about four minutes), while giving an hour and a half to the antis.

CREATIVE EDITING BY KATIE COURIC CHANGES THE VCDL GROUP S ANSWER TO A KEY QUESTION

Katie apparently wasn t getting anything from either the group or me that she could use to further her pro-gun-control arguments. In fact my entire two-hour interview was left on the cutting room floor, but some of the group interview made it into the final film. However, one of the question/answer responses was altered - and therein lies the problem.

Watching the video, you hear Katie ask, If there are no background checks for gun purchasers, how do you prevent felons or terrorist from walking into, say, a licensed gun dealer and purchasing a gun? The camera then shows the group members TOTALLY SILENT FOR EIGHT SECONDS. The camera zooms in on one member, who looks down.

The clear implication is that none of the group had an answer for that question and was being evasive and avoiding eye contact.

The truth is, and as you will hear in the audio, below, that the group responded to Katie immediately, with answers to her question! Yet the video shows no one responding. Clearly, when Katie didn't get the answer(s) she wanted, she changed the group s answers by replacing them with other video of the group sitting around quietly between questions.

Unbelievable. And extremely unprofessional. In essence Katie lied about the VCDL members' answers. If she so cavalierly lied in this instance, what other things did she alter in this movie or any of her previous reporting to advance her own personal agendas?

While I am used to our side being given less time in the press than the antis are given, I m not used to having our words changed. That is a big journalistic no no.

Back in 1993, Dateline faked an accidental explosion of a truck to show that model truck was dangerous if involved in a collision. Dateline couldn t actually create an explosion by crashing vehicles into the truck, so they ultimately, and shamefully, planted incendiary devices on the truck to force it to blow up.

What Katie did is similar.

Speaking of cheerleading for gun control, at the end of the infomercial the names of eight anti-self-defense groups that participated in the project are prominently listed under the title of "Join Those Already Making a Difference," with viewers encouraged to contact them for more information. Not one single pro-self-defense group, including VCDL, is listed as a source of information.

The audio of the full group interview is here, skip to the 36 minute and 43 second mark to hear the question on felons and the answers the group provided. There is no silence, but Katie needed something to show gun owners are unreasonable in their opposition to universal background checks, so she provided eight seconds of silence for us:

Feel free to listen to the entire interview. I think the group did a phenomenal job defending our gun rights and that s why the group doesn t appear in the infomercial but for a few minutes, with a key part edited to serve a gun-control agenda.

You can watch Katie Curic's gun control infomercial for free at: http://www.epix.com/movie/under-the-gun/

(The Epix web site for the movie says "with a narration from renowned journalist Katie Couric". Renowned for what? Lying?)

-

As an FYI, my full interview (raw) can be heard here:

-

POST THIS FAR AND WIDE TO GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT KATIE S PHONY DOCUMENTARY CALLED UNDER THE GUN

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Re: Unethical journalism: Couric alters words of VCDL members

Postby kelu » Tue, 13 Sep 2016 13:37:45

Nice update
Film producer Katie Couric and her director Stephanie Soechtig edited their anti-gun documentary Under the Gun in order to make a gun rights group in Virginia look as if they couldn’t answer a simple question.

They’re now facing a $12 million defamation lawsuit, according to documents provided to Bearing Arms.

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/09/13 ... cumentary/
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Jeff82 » Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:10:32

Make 'em pay. Every time.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
MOΛΩN ΛABE!

Jeff82
www.TheInfantryStore.com
www.facebook.com/TheInfantryStore

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
Jeff82
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jeff

My Arsenal:
Glockman!

Postby Jeff82 » Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:27:47

Just came out from VCDL:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Today, VCDL sued Katie Couric and other responsible parties for the film “Under the Gun” for defamation in Federal District Court in Richmond, Virginia! 

As you have probably heard and has been widely reported in the media, the "documentary" contains manipulated footage that makes it look like we were stumped by a question on background checks, when in reality, we immediately began responding.  I’m attaching a press release about the lawsuit, and answering some questions you may have about it below.

Q: Why did the VCDL file this lawsuit?

·      It’s the only way to hold Couric and her people accountable.

·      Couric has publicly admitted that the film was misleading and misrepresented the VCDL, but the filmmakers refuse to fix it or to stop promoting and distributing it.

Q: What does the VCDL hope to accomplish with the lawsuit?

·      Hold the filmmakers accountable for misleading audiences and misrepresenting us.

·      Compensate the VCDL and the VCDL members who were harmed by the film.

·      Set the record straight.

·      Advance our mission to defend your right to defend yourself.

Q: How is the VCDL paying for the lawsuit?

·      Member contributions.

·      Please consider making a contribution to help hold Couric accountable and to help the VCDL defend your right to defend yourself.  Unfortunately, filing such a lawsuit is expensive, but we simply cannot let this manipulation and intentional misrepresentation stand!

Q: Where can I get more information?

·      To compare the manipulated video footage and the unedited audio recording, and learn more about the case, click here:

http://clarelocke.com/our-cases/katie-couric/

-

To read the actual complaint that was filed this morning, click here:

http://clarelocke.com/wp-content/upload ... uric-1.pdf

or

http://tinyurl.com/hjvk6we

-

To contribute to VCDL, please click here:

http://vcdl.org/Donate

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
MOΛΩN ΛABE!

Jeff82
www.TheInfantryStore.com
www.facebook.com/TheInfantryStore

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
Jeff82
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jeff

My Arsenal:
Glockman!

Postby wittmeba » Tue, 13 Sep 2016 15:45:04

If all the laws worked, there would never be any crime.

I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

ads

Return to Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) VA Alerts