Tipton Maintenance Mat - 12"x24"Maintenance Mat - 12"x24"
Tipton
    Tipton Snap Cap Revolver 45 Colt (Per 6) - Snap CapsSnap Cap Revolver 45 Colt (Per 6) - Snap Caps
Tipton
    Tipton 14Pc Nylon Rifle Bore Brush Set14Pc Nylon Rifle Bore Brush Set
Tipton

VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

The VCDL does a great job defending our rights under the Second Amendment here in Virginia. VA-Alerts are frequently sent out to subscribers and contain a wealth of information about upcoming action items and news stories.

This forum is an archive of VCDL's VA Alerts

Moderator: Taggure

Forum rules
Only VCDL VA Alerts and associated calendar entries are to be posted here. You may reply to the threads here, but please do not start a new one without moderator approval.

VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:04:10

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join.html
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

I have just learned, with confirmation from the Virginia State Police, that New Mexico is NO LONGER RECOGNIZING Virginia CHPs because we don't require range time. We never have, odd that they are just now figuring that out. Perhaps they had a change in their law somewhere down the line.

New Mexico does NOT honor Florida or Utah non-resident permits, either.

Here are your options:

1. Open carry

2. In your vehicle you can have a concealed handgun. New Mexico views your vehicle as an extension of your home.

Virginia continues on the highroad, honoring New Mexico permits.

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Image @OakRidgeStars

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Re: VA-ALERT: Urgent: NM no longer honors VA CHPs!

Postby zombiekiller57 » Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:22:26

I thought that was odd that VA didn't require range time. You would think that they would at least require an annual qualification. I have to do that with my H.R. 218. I would bet that the majority of the CHP holders do shoot several times a year but there is no method to record that.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Tim

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Shotblast w/scope
Supersoaker Sniper
Supersoaker Claymore 10 pack

Next Firearm:
Supersoaker Anti-Aircraft Missles

Postby VBshooter » Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:32:41

True, but we don't need to tell the state now or any other time in the future.
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Postby derek141 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:47:10

zombiekiller57 wrote:I thought that was odd that VA didn't require range time. You would think that they would at least require an annual qualification. I have to do that with my H.R. 218. I would bet that the majority of the CHP holders do shoot several times a year but there is no method to record that.

I've always thought that the annual qual requirement for HR218 is nonsensical, as retirees are private citizens. On what rational basis should they be held to a higher standard than John Q. Permit? Even live fire states only qual on periodic renewal (e.g. TX, 5 year interval). Oh, wait... it was the U.S. Congress...

derek141
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Derek

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:12:15

For many of us in the Commonwealth's more remote and undeveloped areas, a range qualification requirement would raise the problem of WHERE to do one. Time, distance, expense and scarcity of facilities would surely prevent many CHPs from being renewed out here "west of the Blue Ridge". Probably in a large part of Southside, too. Result may well be that the folks with the strongest gun culture in the state that needed range qualification to develop/demonstrate familiarity and proficiency the least would be excluded from having CHPs.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:37:02

I can't even begin to imagine if a live-fire re-qualification requirement were conducted with the speed, efficacy and good customer service that the DMV is famous for doing.

When it comes to my RIGHT, and yes, I ___DO___ believe that CCW is well within what the 2nd was intended to provide, that there should be very little state/federal regulation on that right.

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby mk4 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:32:27

jdonovan wrote:I can't even begin to imagine if a live-fire re-qualification requirement were conducted with the speed, efficacy and good customer service that the DMV is famous for doing.

When it comes to my RIGHT, and yes, I ___DO___ believe that CCW is well within what the 2nd was intended to provide, that there should be very little state/federal regulation on that right.

THIS!
Nowhere in the 2A does is mention permits or training requirements. What it does say, quite succinctly, is: ...shall not be infringed.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby VBshooter » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 00:19:10

Absolutely! :thumbsup:
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Return to Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) VA Alerts