Winter camping

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: Winter camping

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 21:30:53

Brotha, I haven't figured out how to keep large water jugs from freezing yet.

Usually we get a good fire going, and set them as close as we can to the fire without them melting.

Yeah, it was HOT yesterday, and today by camping standards, but this snow storm tonight/tomorrow, and Thursday? Hopefully we get a good ground freeze, and get all the insects that woke up early!

It'll be a chilly spring/mild summer I'm hoping.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby RWBlue01 » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 01:46:00

Let it snow,
Let it snow,
Let it snow.

I still haven't made it out for my winter camping expedition. Life is getting in the way.

I did figure out how to double up my sleeping bags. In theory, I should have to worry about being too hot, not too cold.

As far as water, someone on another forum was telling me about the merits of mettle water containers. Yes they freeze, but they can also be tossed in the fire to melt them.

I still have concern about my water filter freezing...there should be a solution, but I just don't know. Maybe it must be carried inside the coat and inside the sleeping bag.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Kreutz » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:13:59

Reverenddel wrote:People ask, "What's the best part of winter camping?"

Melting glass.

We use a cedar/red oak mix in the fire, and it gets between 500-700 degrees... you are NOT cold... We're talking push in found beer bottles (we use cans), and it becomes a glowing glob by the end of the night.

This is fun anytime of year.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby bryanrheem » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 12:08:53

I actually thought about using the hot rock technique for water containers as well. Take a couple of clean stones… heat them on the grill, drop them in your large water container over night….

We had a 5 gallon jug that we left by the fire but still in the AM was a solid piece of ice.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby bryanrheem » Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:48:16

Looks like only a couple more days of 'cold' left this winter. So time to go out one more time.

What's everybody's favorite bedtime snack? I love bush baked beans, heated on fire embers, eaten right out of the can. Nothing warms up your insides like that… (besides whiskey)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby Palladin » Thu, 13 Mar 2014 18:57:01

smores
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 08:46:23

Speaking of low-tech camping and living off the land, I ran across this and figured it would be right up Rev's alley:

Speaking just for me, I've done some cold-weather camping in the course of hunting and early-season fishing, but even when I was young and at my stupidest I never intentionally slept out in the cold just to be doing it. Just don't blow my skirt up.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 07:07:06

I was kinda hoping that winter was about over. I'm sick of it. But, here it is, middle of March, and I am watching snow come down in Missouri. Saw some up on I 90, in South Dakota, a couple of days ago, too.

But, comin to think of it, I saw snow in northern Wyoming, last June.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby karmassassin » Sat, 15 Nov 2014 23:01:25

Any good winter hikes that y'all would recommend? I don't have the gear for winter camping, but if there are hikes that are especially good in the winter, I'd love to hear about them.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
karmassassin
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Karma

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:24:06

Anywhere in the A.T. Seriously! Even when the leaves have FALLEN, it's still breathtaking...

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby bryanrheem » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:51:01

Rev, funny you should bring this thread up… I was in the process of making some plans this month to pull out the gear and get out there again!

bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:43:58

bryanrheem wrote:Looks like only a couple more days of 'cold' left this winter. So time to go out one more time.

What's everybody's favorite bedtime snack? I love bush baked beans, heated on fire embers, eaten right out of the can. Nothing warms up your insides like that… (besides whiskey)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, so this is an old thread. I got sidetracked onto it. This beans thing makes me think of what I used to do in my capacity as "Chief Cook, Sheriff & Sergeant at Arms" on our dads & boys trips years ago: Fry up some bacon in a pot (I used to take it pre-diced just for this). Leave some of the fat from the bacon in the pot - pour off whatever looks right. Add some cut-up onion & green pepper (used to take that pre-diced, too)) and sauté for a minute or so. Dump in a can or two of plain old pork and beans. Add some mustard, ketchup, and a little worchestershire sauce to taste. Cook it for a while until it thickens up. It eats as well as any baked beans on the planet, you can make it on top of a fire, and it takes 30 minutes or less.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby bryanrheem » Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:38:38

dorminWS wrote:OK, so this is an old thread. I got sidetracked onto it. This beans thing makes me think of what I used to do in my capacity as "Chief Cook, Sheriff & Sergeant at Arms" on our dads & boys trips years ago: Fry up some bacon in a pot (I used to take it pre-diced just for this). Leave some of the fat from the bacon in the pot - pour off whatever looks right. Add some cut-up onion & green pepper (used to take that pre-diced, too)) and sauté for a minute or so. Dump in a can or two of plain old pork and beans. Add some mustard, ketchup, and a little worchestershire sauce to taste. Cook it for a while until it thickens up. It eats as well as any baked beans on the planet, you can make it on top of a fire, and it takes 30 minutes or less.

This sounds amazing… will definitely try it next time out, especially with the video you also posted!

bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:39:48

We will do a dutch oven in the fire pit during the coldest of days because we know the fire will be continuous, and the pit is below ground.

With some beef trimmed parts (Butchers are HAPPY to sell those inexpensively), chopped onion, celery and carrots (Maripoux in french cooking), cubed taters, and some water...it's basically a potroast you eat in a bowl... and on a COLD day... it's AWFULLY good.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Previous

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)