SALES TAX HOLIDAY!

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

SALES TAX HOLIDAY!

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 21 May 2012 08:32:11

Friday, May 25, 2012 through Thursday, May 31, 2012

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS SALES TAX HOLIDAY
APPENDIX -- LIST OF QUALIFYING ITEMS
May 25 – May 31

Sales Price of $60 or less
The following hurricane preparedness items may be purchased exempt of the Retail Sales and Use Tax during the “Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday,” provided that such items have a selling price of $60 or less per item.
• Artificial ice, blue ice, ice packs and reusable ice
• Batteries (excluding automobile or boat batteries), including
o AAA cell
o AA cell
o C cell
o D cell
o 6 volt
o 9 volt
o Cell phone batteries
• Any portable self-powered light sources including
o Flashlights
o Lanterns
o Glow sticks
• Tarpaulins, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths, and other flexible waterproof sheeting
• Bungee cords, rope
• Ground anchor systems or tie down kits
• Ratchet straps
• Duct tape
• Carbon monoxide detectors
• Smoke detectors
• Fire extinguishers
• Gas or diesel fuel tanks or containers
• Water storage containers
• Nonelectric food storage coolers
• Bottled water
• Manual can openers
• Portable self-powered radios (including self-powered radios with electrical power capability)
• Two-way radios
• Weather band radios and NOAA weather radios
• Storm shutter devices
• Cell phone chargers
• First Aid Kits

Sales Price of $1,000 or less
The following hurricane preparedness items may be purchased exempt of the Retail Sales and Use Tax during the “Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday,” provided that such items have a selling price of $1000 or less per item.
• Portable generators and generator power cords
• Inverters and inverter power cables

The Virginia Department of Taxation’s Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday Guidelines and Rules are available online at
http://www.tax.virginia.gov/salestaxholiday.

For additional information on hurricane preparation, visit the Virginia Department of Emergency Management website at
http://www.vaemergency.com.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Re: SALES TAX HOLIDAY!

Postby rromeo » Tue, 22 May 2012 18:39:46

And if you buy any of those items, the FBI will have you on a militia watch list.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.KYFHO

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
rromeo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
Quite a few

Postby ShotgunBlast » Tue, 22 May 2012 20:29:35

rromeo wrote:And if you buy any of those items, the FBI will have you on a militia watch list.

Nah, you're more likely to get on the watch lists when you get a few hundred pounds of rice to store.

This is a good idea to look at your basic disaster kits and see if you need anything. Virginia did get hit with an earthquake and hurricane last year.

My wife and I started at the FEMA website to get an idea on where to start. Hope this helps.

http://www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby meak99 » Tue, 22 May 2012 21:15:53

So what's the best sub $1K portable generator? Looking for a rating of 8000 Watts to run up to 4 15 amp circuits.

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Matt

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 23 May 2012 07:14:50

meak99 wrote:So what's the best sub $1K portable generator? Looking for a rating of 8000 Watts to run up to 4 15 amp circuits.

That level of power + < $1k means a lower quality generator.
< 1k means northern-tool, power horse type units. Fine for very occasional intermittent use, but hard to repair if it fails, and I wouldn't want to run it 24/7 for a week after a huricane took out power to the neighborhood.

A quality 8k generator is going to be in the 2500+ range.

If I was going to spend $1k this next week on a generator, it would be a honda EU2000. Sure it can't run 4x15amp, but it will run 1x15 amp, and for my home that will cover my base-level needs.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 23 May 2012 07:21:11

jdonovan wrote:If I was going to spend $1k this next week on a generator, it would be a honda EU2000. Sure it can't run 4x15amp, but it will run 1x15 amp, and for my home that will cover my base-level needs.

Those Honda generators are super quiet as far as generators go too. Love them for portable jobs!

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 23 May 2012 14:34:15

You just need a generator to keep the freezer going during the day, turn the generator off at night.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 24 May 2012 14:11:35

BUMP! YOU HAVE TILL TOMORROW TO PREP!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)