An introduction to "Peeling" - not oranges!

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

An introduction to "Peeling" - not oranges!

Postby maxvelocity » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:29:11

What is "peeling"? It is a tactical movement technique to allow fire and movement while in contact with the enemy. It can be used to break contact with the enemy.

At a basic level, this simple but highly effective technique is mainly used to move to the flank; elements or individuals are in line facing the enemy threat and will “peel out” to either the left or right. This is a good technique for moving along a linear feature, such as a road or ditch, while producing maximum suppressive fire. With the peel, when the formation needs to move right, individuals or elements will move from the left side, behind the formation, and peel back in on the right. The opposite for moving left. As each individual passes the next man, who will be providing suppressive fire, he shouts something along the lines of “move” or “last man”, or kicks his foot etc., in order to ensure that the next man knows to move. The technique is a flow of constant fire and movement. It can also be used, for example, as a way of moving to a flank out of an area of open ground to cover, when contacted by an enemy to the front.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
maxvelocity
Sighting In
Sighting In

Re: An introduction to "Peeling" - not oranges!

Postby ShotgunBlast » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:31:10

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby scrubber3 » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:59:21

Nice post! Thanks for sharing as it brings back some welcome techniques I've filed in the "not to be used whilst a civilian" section of my brain. The seals in the center peel maneuver look like they're having way too much fun.
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby maxvelocity » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:08:18

CONTACT FRONT! An example of the drills that you can do for a contact front would be for the front team to return fire, with the two rearmost riflemen of that front team stepping out to the sides to allow them to fire: effectively “getting on line”. These two pairs would fight back utilizing fire and movement. The rear team would take up security positions and then begin to move back, utilizing bounding over-watch, to secure a rally point. Alternatively, the tunnel method ("center peel") can be used. With this method all the patrol members step to the left or right accordingly to create a file, or tunnel formation. This will only allow the front two riflemen to engage but it is useful for withdrawing along linear features or where fire is coming in from the front but also to the front and flanks on both sides. The front people will return fire and then in sequence they will turn and run through the center of the tunnel, peeling back in at the other end. This allows the next front people to fire and the process will continue with the tunnel turning itself inside out all the way to a suitable rally point. It is effectively a peeling technique with two lines.

maxvelocity
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:59:29

The one way to practice this, and NOT get hurt, but LEARN from it?

Paint ball guns...

Telling you... for training, no better thing... You get hit in the back of the head, and you give each person a different color? You know whose ass to kick! :hysterical:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)