Interesting observation.

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Interesting observation.

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:20:22

Has anyone else noticed quite a few new faces to prepping/survival? People that normally you would never suspect as being of the same mindset, but asking intelligent questions, and requesting advice on topics ranging from gear, to techniques, to firearms?

In some ways I'm encouraged to see the eyes opening of the masses, but in another way I'm slightly concerned because if the "blind suddenly can see it", that means we're headed down that slope a tad bit faster...

Bonding with others makes us stronger, but it makes us vunerable to those who wish to take advantage of our good nature. :coffee:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Re: Interesting observation.

Postby FiremanBob » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:45:38

Perhaps they are watching the example of Greece:

Starving Greeks queue for food in their thousands as debt-wracked country finally forms a coalition government... but how long will it last?

Starving Greeks queued around the block for free food handouts yesterday as the country's politicians managed to end a crippling stalemate to form a coalition government.

Young children as well as the elderly waited in line in Athens to collect the parcels of fruit and vegetables donated by farmers from Crete to help ease the devastating austerity faced by many Greeks.

But as hungry people collected food, a few miles away a new conservative-led alliance was formed, vowing to renegotiate the country's strict European bailout in a bid to breath economic life back into the debt-stricken country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2161651/Starving-Greeks-food-thousands-politicians-finally-form-coalition-government--long-last.html
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby ShotgunBlast » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:35:17

My OPSEC prevents me from answering the original question. :-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:22:43

I have had a few people state a desire to own guns, lately. Funny thing is, they're not sure why they suddenly have gotten the urge; they just feel that it would be useful.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:11:55

And that's my point. I'm having people who have NEVER been interested in camping, survival, and/or firearms pick my brain for HOURS over these subjects, and when quizzed, I get answers ranging from "I have a feeling" to "have you read the (expletive) news lately!?!?"

All are good answers, but again, when the "blind" are seeing, it makes me nervous.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:01:24

Sounds to me like more people are watching "Doomsday Preppers" than are watching the Jersey Shore wankers.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:00:56

Dunno, but I think it's interesting how the "Liberals" i know are calling preppers, "idiots" because there isn't "Anything to prove anything is gonna change".

Uh-huh... When they have alerted National Guard units with full armory for the elections until Inauguration, the price of food has increased, the disillusionment of becoming employed, and crime decreasing because everyone is becoming armed not more civilized, racial/xenophobia divides getting worse, increases in guv'mint violations of the bill of rights (drones, police, new laws for suspending habeas corpus, posse comitatus, etc)...

It's not "falling for scare tactics", it's noticing that things are becoming unhinged, slowly, but surely. Then I'm an "idiot", but when disasters fall? I'm the idiot whose fed, protected, and bonding with other idiots to keep my lil' part of the world together for as long as I can.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Riposite » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:43:10

Reverenddel wrote:Uh-huh... When they have alerted National Guard units with full armory for the elections until Inauguration, t

have a link for this? not doubting you just curious to how they are phrasing it and what the justification is?
To be honest I am more worried about riots if the Big O loses than if he wins

Riposite
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rip

My Arsenal:
I don't have an arsenal-if I did it might include a few sigs and a black rifle-but I most assuredly don't have an arsenal

Next Firearm:
No idea; maybe a high capacity 9mm

Postby Kreutz » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:18:13

OakRidgeStars wrote:Sounds to me like more people are watching "Doomsday Preppers" than are watching the Jersey Shore wankers.

The fact Jersey Shore exists and is so popular is all the proof I need of the end times. I don't need a show about preppers to tell me that.

:whistle:

Semi-seriously though I think its good to have these skills and mindsets(worked in the Depression, which did end), but I dont see America as being a sudden collapse (rare in human history) but a more typical generations long slide into (further) decadence and decay.

Even in the highly unlkely event total economic prosperity pops out of nowhere tomorrow its good to grow your own food, know who you can trust, and have goodies stashed away "just in case".

I have enough seeds to feed my clan for years, even without saving from a future crop.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby Riposite » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:31:35

I think it is more going to be like the end of the roman republic- the marius -sulla period

Riposite
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:
I don't have an arsenal-if I did it might include a few sigs and a black rifle-but I most assuredly don't have an arsenal

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:52:57

I'm getting my info from national guardsmen (friends, family, neighbors) who have been alerted to being needed for any type of "riots" after the elections...

My concern? Martial Law... Habeas Corpus is suspended, Posse Comitatus is suspend, and then they start rounding up folks...

Wanna be paranoid? They're giving you enough reasons to BE paranoid! And just because you're paranoid does NOT mean someone is NOT out to get you! :tinfoil:

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Riposite » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:32:45

see I am afraid he is going to loose and that the level of this discourse has sunk so low in this country they wil lclaim it was voter registration laws or fraud etc. and that will spark off protests and riots, can't you see the OWS crowd trying their own version of the arab spring if their boy looses?
As I said I see a lot of parallels with the US now and the roman republic pre Marius and Sulla-instead of Gracchus giving free grain for votes, it's generous support of Unions via bailouts and government take overs or government obstruction like the NLRB stopping boeing in SC; Obamacare. and just like the Romans in the Populares; his populist gestures are a sleight of hand while he tries to utterly socially rengineer our society, and we all saw how well that worked out for the Roman Republic.

Riposite
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:39:51

When non-preppers are prepping, when NG friends of mine are saying "STOCK UP BROTHER!", when the guv'mint at local/state/federal levels are monitoring citizens for any reason in SPITE of the constitution, when unemployment is rampant, when people are just about at their wits end....

I sense a very momentus change in the air...

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)