How plentiful will small game be after TSHTF?

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: How plentiful will small game be after TSHTF?

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 00:23:35

WRW wrote:Yeah, people would be booby-trapping "their" game plots like pot growers do.

Now that is a really likelihood.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby bali » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 08:47:40

you are dreaming. Our economy is going to collapse within 15 years, guaranteed, probably within 10 years and maybe within 5 years, especially if Trump doesn't win. Tim Geitner has said so.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +paul+ryan

When the $100 bill is toilet tissue, nobody will be working. Everyone will be out scrounging. When the US collapses, the rest of the world will collapse with it. The Reason that Venesuela and Russia managed to hang on is other countries still traded with them. That wont be the case when the US goes under.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby bali » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 08:53:37

Don't kid yourself about this. It costs $1000, including the drums in which to bury it, to stockpile a year's supply of honey, salt, grains and legumes (locallly grown, bought during harvest season). You can have edible food with sprouting, in a week or so, too.

Anyone with smarts will see that if shtf, the first thing you'd better do, at night, is pop a cow, quietly, haul off a hind quarter about a mile from the gutpile, and jerk the meat. Repeat several times.

You'll need already -buried, empty 55 gal plastic drums into which you'll put the jerky, to keep it away from rodents, dogs, and insects. YOu'll need a double wrap of ratwire around and under each drum and a couple of drum liners around the wire, to slow down the corroding. Metal drums corrode swiftly when buried. You'll need 3" of gravel around each one. Empty, they wont attract dogs, which attract humans with their digging. Post shtf, you can set up snares around your burials. and eat the dogs.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 09:28:08

I'm a former assistant emergency coordinator, certified by FIMA and DHS. For 16 years I have been specializing in continuity of operations and disaster recovery in emergency response to mass casualty, mass municipality situations surrounding the collapse of infrastructure, including things as simple as roads.

Its my professional opinion that you are mistaken. We have been down this exact road 13 times since the nation was founded. We came close to collapse once in the late 20s and early 30s, but we pulled through every time. We aren't even close to were we were 100 years ago.

And as important as I would like to believe we are, if the US economy takes a nose dive and our nation fails to exist as we know it, the rest of the world will be fine. Some other government will come up around the people or another super power will anex the nation into their own.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby bali » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 09:49:20

no, crops will NOT grow without man. they are hybrids and won't reproduce themselves. Weeds will crowd out all the modernized plants. Dont kid yourself. you simply must stockpile a year's food, have non-hybrid seeds, and figure on living on sprouts while your root crops mature. For the first year, anything visible will be stolen, or they'll wait for you to come tend it and then shoot you.

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:07:06

I guess all those bumper crops are a figment of our imagination.

No worries dude. You do what you feel is best for you. I can disagree, but I'm not gonna criticize. Worst case, you're 100% right and one of the few that are prepared. Best case, you never need to use any of it and we just gab about it online.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby bali » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 19:35:58

bumper crops of what? even garden seeds today are hybrid.

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby WRW » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 20:14:44

bali wrote:bumper crops of what? even garden seeds today are hybrid.

Heritage seeds are available for successive crops, but a "bumper crop" of volunteers would be a stretch.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 20:27:42

Maybe I live in a different Virginia, but about a year ago a buddy of mine who makes a living as a small local farmer told me he had 3 years of bumper crops on one of his fields that was out of cycle and wasn't being worked. Maybe any crop at all is considered bumper on out of cycle land, but I can't imagine it would be any different if he abandoned the land altogether.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby WRW » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 20:46:13

MarcSpaz wrote:Maybe I live in a different Virginia, but about a year ago a buddy of mine who makes a living as a small local farmer told me he had 3 years of bumper crops on one of his fields that was out of cycle and wasn't being worked. Maybe any crop at all is considered bumper on out of cycle land, but I can't imagine it would be any different if he abandoned the land altogether.

I'm guessing that was three years of crops and a year left fallow for his rotation?

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 20:55:39

Could be. I had the convo with him last Christmas and I don't know much about farming. I thought he said he rotated acres 1 year on and 3 years off, but if it normally goes the other way, then I probably have it backwards.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Snakester » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 21:10:05

I need more Ammo....I will never eat CAT no matter how bad it get's !

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 21:25:45

Snakester wrote:I need more Ammo....I will never eat CAT no matter how bad it get's !

Would it help if I told you they taste like chicken?

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Ironbear » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 09:27:47

Snakester wrote:I will never eat CAT no matter how bad it get's !

Not even if you knew it would infuriate some Northeastern, liberal, cat lady? :roll: Just serve it up with some okra and tell folks it is "highly evolved" catfish!
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby bali » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 17:23:14

you are very badly mistaken. the 100 million cats and dogs will make short work of all the livestock and game that people don't kill, the first month of shtf.

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 20:12:57

I have no idea where you are getting your info from... but history seriously disagrees with you. There are more feral dogs and cats in the US than under the care of humans and they aren't ravaging the countryside. When we had our economic crash in the 20's and 30's, cats and dogs didn't takeover the hunting grounds... they stayed where they lived and starved, just like the people.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby bali » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 20:19:35

i get my FACTS from the ASPCA websight. If you "think" that there's more than 100 million feral cats and dogs, you're out of your MIND, dude.

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby bali » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 20:22:11

people shoot them if they cause trouble now, but if shtf, the cats and dogs will quickly wise up and stay out of human sight during daylight hours. People are nowhere NEAR as skilled and able as they "think" that they are, and not even 1% have night vision. Cats and dogs see just FINE in the dark and have far superior hearing and scent, as compared to humans. If you're out and about at night, without passive IR vision, you'll get picked off by a dog pack, or a man, in short order, altho daytime will be worse, for getting shot.

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 22:03:49

bali wrote:i get my FACTS from the ASPCA websight. If you "think" that there's more than 100 million feral cats and dogs, you're out of your MIND, dude.

Dude, you are so full of sh!t its not even funny. The ASPCA is who says that there are 70 million + feral cats alone... never mind feral dogs. Search for "how many feral cats are in the us" on Google and the ASPCA site is the very first result.

http://www.aspca.org/animal-homelessnes ... statistics

And if cats and dogs are so superior to humans, why are we at the top of the food chain when they have roamed the earth way longer than we have.

And it is so illegal to shoot and kill feral animals that its not even funny. I highly doubt it is happening at pruning levels on a national scale. Just insane to say such a thing.

I can't have a debate or even a convo with someone who flat out lies about stuff and acts like they know everything. Dude, I seriously can't talk to you anymore.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 09:13:35

MarcSpaz wrote:Maybe I live in a different Virginia, but about a year ago a buddy of mine who makes a living as a small local farmer told me he had 3 years of bumper crops on one of his fields that was out of cycle and wasn't being worked. Maybe any crop at all is considered bumper on out of cycle land, but I can't imagine it would be any different if he abandoned the land altogether.

Nope! He's not incorrect, every garden in my area had such an abundance, that I got more than I could take IN, and I didn't grow a THING!

Just make sure you keep heritage seeds as WRW suggested, and you'll be doing well. Especially if like minded organized good folks thin out the herd of bad folks trying to raid, loot, and pillage.

Go all Dracula on them! Heads on Pikes are a DETERRENT!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

PreviousNext

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)