Hoarding!!!

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Hoarding!!!

Postby maxvelocity » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:16:56

Hi, so a little controversial in the title but I wanted to kick off a discussion about hoarding. Now, before I get taken down, what I mean is the whole idea that as preppers we are preparing and storing for hard times ahead. But I have seen it written in so many places about being seen, post SHTF, as hoarders.
This also links in to a discussion on possible martial law and seizing of food, and maybe even weapons, for redistribution.
We all know that the best approach is to keep your preps secret, but if it got out that you had food stored, simply because others were starving and you were not, what do you think will be the result?
I actually wish I had more food stored. We are doing out best but financially you can't just get there all at once and we have not been actively prepping for long enough to really be ready.
Now, in a total collapse die-off situation it may be pretty simple: you keep your food and anyone trying to take it from you is a recipient, at high velocity, of the bullets you stored as well as your beans and band-ads. Where it gets interesting is in a slow slide situation where there is still government and authority and they may not be too sympathetic under martial law. You don't want to have to fight off an active duty army unit when you deny them search entry and they come piling in through the door...and even if you were succesful, they will be back with reinforcements, possibly even an air strike!
I am very interested in thoughts on this.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
maxvelocity
Sighting In
Sighting In

Re: Hoarding!!!

Postby ShotgunBlast » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:54:01

Preps? What preps? :whistle:

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby Palladin » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 18:23:24

Last time I saw preppies was in High School back in the '80s...
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby maxvelocity » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 18:59:49

ShotgunBlast wrote:Preps? What preps? :whistle:

OK, do we not use the term preppers on this site?
I know its a gun site, but its got a bit on post SHTF....just saying... :wave:

maxvelocity
Sighting In
Sighting In

Hoarding!!!

Postby scrubber3 » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 20:43:19

I got a couple guns and a few bullets. Some noodles and rice to stave off starvation for a bit. That's it though. ;)
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby RugerJoe » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 01:24:58

I think you may be over thinking things a bit. If there was still government\authority of some thought, they would be focused on securing large food stockpiles for "even distribution". Tonnage large. Places like major food distribution hubs, raw ingredient storage facilities, farm land with crops, and supermarkets (those that haven't been picked clean). Going house to house in highly armed America trying to confiscate food that may or may not exist in the homes of scared trigger happy people in the hopes of "stopping hoarders" probably wouldn't be very productive for them.
This does however bring up an interesting question in my mind. Law enforcement may be law enforcement in every day polite society, but depending on the type of SHTF situation, law enforcement may eventually just become desperate people wearing uniforms. It makes you think you might have to decide when you should sit idly by when your door is being kicked in and when you should in fact defend your supplies.
When I say this I'm reminded of a scene in some zombie movie where a group in an RV with plenty of supplies gleefully pull over when they spot an army unit. The army unit promptly jacks them of most of their supplies at gun point and sends them on their way.

RugerJoe
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Too many.

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:53:56

A perfect example of a "SHTF", KATRINA AND NEW ORLEANS!

The police abandoned people, and basically said "you're on your own". When it calmed down... a few went "rogue", and started shooting innocent people.

So I have the mentality, "Any one in a try SHTF situation is capable of being both friend, and foe...Do not let your guard down."

I'm what you call "Neutral-Cop", I'm not against them, but I ain't singing their collective praises either.

The ones I know, and the National Guardsmen I know, along with other guv'mint types... I hear the horror stories of "bad" representation for their vocations... and realize that each one is an individual, and based on their ego, and inclination, You need to broach each contact carefully.

So as to them knowing what I got? I'm sure one check with 4473 Federal Forms, and checking the charges from my credit cards will tell them all they need to know... and we're all... on that list. :roll:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:16:37

Good luck checking my credit card statement; I ain't got one. Everything I purchase is with cash. I bought my guns from private sellers, with no bill of sale.

No one knows exactly what I own.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby maxvelocity » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:35:28

Well, I really don't believe I am overthinking it. I posted to get some good feedback on a topic that is worrying.

The whole martial law/home raids thing is actually my nightmare; you could term it my "enemy worst course of action".

I am comfortable with the whole prepping idea i.e. there is a collapse, mass looting, die-offs, starving masses. Simplistically as preppers we try and have enough beans bullets and band-aids to get us through this situation to some sort of sustainable future. Preppers arm themselves to be prepared for raids by looters onto their property or retreat.

Where this falls down is if those raiders are government backed. This means they may be military or law enforcement, perhaps at a federal level, or they may be the law enforcement of the power in your area post SHTF; in a similar way to the way Jericho organized itself in the TV show, or in the book "one second after". In this situation people may be making decisons for your area, and you may not agree with them.

The thing I worry about most is one of martial law where weapons are being confiscated, perhaps as well as supplies. I agree that federal atention will be more on the large food production and distribution nodes. Hopefully an individual prepper will be under the radar. But on a local level the whole "hoarder" label could potentially result in a pseudo law enforcement claim on your stuff.

It is true that Ameriaca is armed but I don't think that will deter efforts to raid if that was the intention. Most peope are overawed by government and would not resist anyway, and when there is resistance thats what SWAT and tactical teams are for. Do you think the ATF are deterred by raiding farms and compounds now, that belong to extremists and supremacist groups? Post SHTF you may be termed an extremist out at your survival retreat. This is provocative and I don't believe that what I am saying is the truth, but it is possible that this spin could be put on things.

The other thing to worry about is, if SHTF does not happen now, but some time in the future, by then our freedoms could be so constricted they may be coming for your guns and supplies sooner than you think!

maxvelocity
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:36:04

"Most peope are overawed by government and would not resist anyway."

Maybe up north, maybe out far west... but the middle america, and southern thought is "I DO NOT THINK SO!"

Again refering to Katrina, the armed citizens were not rounded up into the superdome. And there are NOT that many armed troops, or LEO's... if you look at the percentages, there are more armed CITIZENS than GUV'MINT...

As to technology being the advantage? Look at Vietnam. We had the best, and brightest... and got pushed back by the VC who were more determined...

Read Mao Tse Tung on Guerilla warfare, and Romini as well... You'd be surprised what a motivated small group can do.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby maxvelocity » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:01:40

Reverenddel wrote:"Most peope are overawed by government and would not resist anyway."

Maybe up north, maybe out far west... but the middle america, and southern thought is "I DO NOT THINK SO!"

Again refering to Katrina, the armed citizens were not rounded up into the superdome. And there are NOT that many armed troops, or LEO's... if you look at the percentages, there are more armed CITIZENS than GUV'MINT...

As to technology being the advantage? Look at Vietnam. We had the best, and brightest... and got pushed back by the VC who were more determined...

Read Mao Tse Tung on Guerilla warfare, and Romini as well... You'd be surprised what a motivated small group can do.

There are some good points here. Let me re-phrase it a little in terms of the responses that I have seen. People have talked about resisting, and also fighting and dying and therefore not being around to worry about it. I am very familiar with insurgent tactics and how effective this could be. However, consider whether you want to find yourself in this situation in the first place? It is a course of action but not a desired one?

This is why I term it my "enemy worst course of action": I am prepared to defend against armed and motivated looters/marauders. But I don't want to be in a situation where I have to decide whether to give up my weapons and supplies, or fight government forces. Neither of the options are good. It may be that people have no choice but to defend their freedoms, but it would still be a bad thing. Therefore it is a question of capability versus desire.

There are a lot of armed and independent minded free folk out there, but there are also the masses who are not preppers and are unprepared. They probably don't like guns anyway, and they would probably support actions against so called "hoarders"

maxvelocity
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:27:11

You guys are scaring the bejesus out of me. Somebody is liable to get the mistaken idea we're dangerous to civil obedience and good order. Me, I plan to just turn in my slingshot, super soaker, and other less lethal devices, vacuum all the stray M&Ms out of the couch and contribute them to the communal stores like a good little communist, and report in good order for re-education. :roll:
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)