grain, legumes r about $10 a bushel

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

grain, legumes r about $10 a bushel

Postby bali » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 19:55:02

during harvest season. You'll have to clean the stuff, it's dusty and you have to get it before it hits the granaries, where they put pesticide on it. A bushel is 55 lbs and you'll need about 3 lbs per day per adult, if you have no other food source. So figure $1 per day. You'll spend more on the plastic drums and buckets, ratwire, drumliners, Mylar bags, dry ice, and bay leaves needed to safely store it. You bury the 55 gallon ones, in the woods nearest your rental public storage space. That storage should be close to your BOL, which should be a spiderhole at your local water source.

When shtf, you can use a bolt cutter to get thru the storage fence, a silenced .22 and subsonic ammo, DayGlo paint on the sights, a $200 passive IR monocular and $100 kid's airsoft nvd goggle to remove any problems there. A bicycle and padded shoulder yoke will let you move the 35 gallon drums. The small drums will drop neatly into the 55 gal drums, so you can get everything buried the first night of shtf. Some extra 55's might be a good idea, so you can go get some beef and make jerky with it. Might even do without the grain, if you know of places to go get it. If you know where there's some salt blocks, go get them if shtf!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Re: grain, legumes r about $10 a bushel

Postby SpanishInquisition » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 16:57:01

I'm afraid of spiders. Can I just bug in with my stuff at the house?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Postby bali » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 17:16:58

sure, but you won't last long if shtf. Maybe a week, before the local looters find you, and burn you out.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SpanishInquisition » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 14:58:27

Legumes make me fart. Will there be an explosion hazard?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 18:02:13

SpanishInquisition wrote:Legumes make me fart. Will there be an explosion hazard?

BWHAHAHHA "I see what you did there." :hysterical:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)