Genesis Gen Original RH Red, KitGen Original RH Red, Kit
Genesis
    Genesis Gen Original LH Purple, KitGen Original LH Purple, Kit
Genesis
    Genesis Gen Original RH Purple, KitGen Original RH Purple, Kit
Genesis

CONEX Boxes for Underground Shelter

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

CONEX Boxes for Underground Shelter

Postby CykoVisuals » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 05:18:25

I have heard of people using CONEX boxes to build underground shelters and saw this, thought I would pass it on.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/for/1942336058.html

I have no affiliation with these guys and relay no guarantees... Just saw the ad and thought it may spark some ideas.

I do know that there are some structural support/sealing mods required for burying these things but that's about it, maybe some of you guys can elaborate if you have some knowledge about it.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
CykoVisuals
On Target
On Target

First Name: Steve

Re: CONEX Boxes for Underground Shelter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 09:26:07

I've seen used containers turned into sheds, garages and workshops. It would seem like a good choice for a underground shelter, but I'm curious what someone would be expecting it to shelter them from. I don't see it offering much protection from an NBC attack unless it was completely sealed with the proper ventilation equipment.

Maybe it would make a better underground storage unit for SHTF preps and such.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby nickf829 » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 09:54:54

The link looks like a typical scammer's ad on craigslist(no specific location, just "all of va", a number that can't be pinned down as local, and a quick google search of phone # shows similar ad's all over country) just be leary if they start asking questions. Or, it could just be a company that will to ship anywhere in the country.

I think you could probably find them locally, try calling your local port and they'd be able to tell you where to find one. Last time I checked they should be between 2-3k

I've read of people digging a hole about 10'-12' wider and a few feet deeper than the crate, lower the crate in the center, fill the sides of the hole with large rocks bundled in steel mesh "cubes", they use these for bridge building(don't remember exact name of this) to create a barrier wall and keep the sides from caving in, line the roof in railroad ties, then bury it. If you wanted it to be able to be driven over, it required a ton of additional support work, but if you are just buring it, the RR ties will work. Then you just need a way to get fresh air in/out. The possibilities are endless
WANT: SA V10 Ultra Compact, SA SubCompact, AR15, Any Kimber
Contact me if you have any of the above for sale/trade/barter/charity

nickf829
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nick

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:02:13

nickf829 wrote: fill the sides of the hole with large rocks bundled in steel mesh "cubes", they use these for bridge building(don't remember exact name of this) to create a barrier wall and keep the sides from caving in,

Gabbions

Though depending on what you are trying to shelter from, setting the conex on-grade and covering it may provide sufficient protection. Also its not below the water table, so less risk of flooding =)

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby nickf829 » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:16:08

Thats it. Thanks.

Yeah waterproofing is another consideration. Proper drainage beneath, on sides, and above, plus waterproofing all around inside/out would be smart.

Another option that is supposedly popular is the underground fuel tanks from old gas stations. They are cylindrical, can support being buried and be strong enough to cover with lots of dirt and even drive over.... Obviously after washing, scrubbing, washing, scrubbing, sealing and washing again.
WANT: SA V10 Ultra Compact, SA SubCompact, AR15, Any Kimber
Contact me if you have any of the above for sale/trade/barter/charity

nickf829
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nick

Postby TheGearGuy » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 11:01:56

CONEXes were not designed to be buried. They were designed to be stacked on other CONEXes. The only load bearing points on them are the four corners.

Hate to kill anyone's fantasies. It'd be nice if it was just that easy.
/The Gear Guy/

TheGearGuy
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Matt

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:57:22

I stumbled across this Youtube video while looking for something else. This is where I want to be when the twister hits. Good stuff.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

ads

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)