Best Survival knife?

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: Best Survival knife?

Postby TacticalMom » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:09:07

cwfunrider wrote:Old thread but I just picked up a ESEE 4 and cannot get over how good it feels in the hand and how sturdy it is. Now I did get the partially serrated one but it is my personal preference.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Very cool!
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln

TacticalMom
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Tanya

My Arsenal:
Oh nothing special, just Nerf,squirt,and rubber dart

Next Firearm:
Yes Please, can I have some more.

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 23:04:29

Going camping, carrying a Condor Golok with a sheath I made for a "Large" knife/small machete, a Kabar with a kydex sheath and rubber handle, a gerber multi-tool, and a Fiskars medium size Axe...

I think I got blades covered.

All of those will help start fires, build shelters, a silent protection, and feed me if all else fails.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby TacticalMom » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:33:30

Reverenddel wrote:Going camping, carrying a Condor Golok with a sheath I made for a "Large" knife/small machete, a Kabar with a kydex sheath and rubber handle, a gerber multi-tool, and a Fiskars medium size Axe...

All of those will help start fires, build shelters, a silent protection, and feed me if all else fails.

That is awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln

TacticalMom
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Tanya

My Arsenal:
Oh nothing special, just Nerf,squirt,and rubber dart

Next Firearm:
Yes Please, can I have some more.

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:49:36

Reverenddel wrote:Going camping, carrying a Condor Golok with a sheath I made for a "Large" knife/small machete, a Kabar with a kydex sheath and rubber handle, a gerber multi-tool, and a Fiskars medium size Axe...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think you do have the edged weapons well covered. But I do suggest you might oughta think about grounding yourself if'n it comes a lightning storm. All that metal...... :hysterical:
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 12:40:55

True! With the blades, bullets, and barrels? Yeah, I'm pretty much "Iron man".

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Ronseresurplus » Thu, 15 Jan 2015 22:26:50

Image Links for Cutlery I own and use

Hello all

While I do Love my firearms, But I have added a Cutlery and non firearm items to the mix for a better $ and they have their place and I feel better having them:

Kukuri Knife, a Indian Contract Knife, got in a Trade is just like what I carried oversea’s on deployments with no one was lookingImage

Becker BK-7, a Knife I got after my last Deployment meant to be a replacement to the Ka-Bar I carried for years, coupled with a German swiss copy it allows me to perform many tasks it’s Battered and it dates back to the Late 70’s

SOG Combat Hatchet, Bought new

Sog Aegis Folder, bought used in a Trade

A.G. Russel sting 1A clone by CRTT, as new got as I always loved the Russel but never wanted to pay the collector $

Gerber Auto, an Impulse buy it is like what I was issued and then had to return bough locally, paid way too much

Ka-Bar Kukuri, this is in fact my wifes knife she saw mine and wanted a Updated version, got it in a Trade

Spyderco Police model, carried my last deployment on Raids as well as a Consealed carry on liberty bought new with Military/Leo discountImage

Leatherman Wave tool, got for everyday carry and use

Leatherman Re-Bar, got as a replacemenbt tool to an Origional tool I got use for $8.00

Ontario short machete, nice small chopper, got in a Trade

German Army Issused swiss type knife

Barnett Jacal Crossbow 150 pound with 3 bolts and Cocking string, trade from Marlin model 60SS

Railroad spike Knife, made by a local blacksmith

Kershaw, small folder/work knife

All of these quieter as well as Not dependant on Gun Power

RON

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Ronseresurplus
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
1911a1, 1917 Revolver, Fa-91, Marlin Papoose, Browning Buckmark Camper

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 16 Jan 2015 00:26:24

I just replaced the Gerber multi with a Leatherman Wave... Got it from The Woman for Christmas.

I have a Cold Steel Recon Scout, but by GAWD that thing weighs a TON!

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby WileyC » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:48:21

My Essee 5 has been working like a charm for 2 years now. Love it!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
WileyC
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Wiley

Postby Taggure » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:39:01

All
I have been making knives for the past year or so and I have been getting a lot or orders for them since Christmas so I thought I would share the link to my page on Facebook for you all to look at. I have been making all of my own leather sheaths as well for my knives as I have found that buying someone else's sheaths do not fit my knives like they should.

Here is the latest on that I have finished it is a Patch Knife that will go with me next Black Powder season with my Hawkins .50 cal.

And I made these two before Christmas that were given as gifts to 2 lucky hunters

Here is a link to my knife page please visit and Like and if you see something or you want something made just give me a PM and we will see what we can do.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Verns-Knives/611197202329265?sk=timeline
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Verns-Knives/611197202329265?sk=photos_stream

Thanks
Vern
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
(Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Vern

My Arsenal:
Mother: Ralphie, what would you like for Christmas?

Adult Ralphie: Horrified, I heard myself blurt it out.

Ralphie: I want an offical Red Rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle.

Postby WileyC » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:55:15

Those look awesome. Nice work!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WileyC
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Wiley

Postby Taggure » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:18:34

Thanks they are a lot of work but I enjoy seeing the finished project and the grin on the persons face that is getting them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
(Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Vern

My Arsenal:
Mother: Ralphie, what would you like for Christmas?

Adult Ralphie: Horrified, I heard myself blurt it out.

Ralphie: I want an offical Red Rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle.

Postby bryanrheem » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:51:45

very nice! How much do they typically run $ wise?

You should join instagram if you really want to share your pics and get out there into the world!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby meadmkr » Mon, 02 Feb 2015 18:31:10

Am a big fan of Mora (of Sweden). Great knives at a modest price. Sharp right of the box.
Have several in the BOBs, cars, and range bag. Have about a dozen of them in total and not a one has had a single problem. The price is modest and easier to afford than a single "benchmade" knife.

http://moraknives.com/products/adventure
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Postby dorminWS » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 09:26:21

Here ya go, guys; just what the doctor ordered for some of us.
Attachments
oldAgeKnifeS.jpg
I might order 2.
oldAgeKnifeS.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby cwfunrider » Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:15:09

meadmkr wrote:Am a big fan of Mora (of Sweden). Great knives at a modest price. Sharp right of the box.
Have several in the BOBs, cars, and range bag. Have about a dozen of them in total and not a one has had a single problem. The price is modest and easier to afford than a single "benchmade" knife.

http://moraknives.com/products/adventure

I keep a Mora in my camp box for kitchen duty. It is also my back up if my ESEE gets lost. But my ESEE 4 is my go to woods knife.

Mobile Clicky Device

cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby bali » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 19:41:39

I have some tools cached at the BOL of course. I have a few more in the BOB, like a triple toothed pocket chain saw, Leatherman Signal and Micra. I have the EDC folder, the lid of the 2 qt canteen cup can be hafted and sharpened, if need be. There's also a credit card axe, which i modified with some tapering vanes welded to the side, so that it splits wood pretty well. It's a fair chopper if you lash a couple of stones onto the back side of the handle, astraddle of the "arrowhead" part of the chopper blade. Should get me to the BOL, where there's an axe, a bucksaw, shovel, pick, etc.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Previous

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)