Best Survival knife?

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: Best Survival knife?

Postby ShortMan » Mon, 08 Oct 2012 20:42:32

Reverenddel wrote:Remember also, Ounces make pounds, and pounds make pain...

A machete is beneficial for over grown areas that you're traversing. Some come with a sawtooth option on the back so that kills two birds with one stone. So know your terrain, and if it's necessary.

Fiskars/Gerber axes by my estimations are the lightest, strongest, and most effective axes I have seen. Estwing are GREAT axes, and I love the sturdiness of them, but they weigh a TON!

I think you cannot beat a Kabar, because the butt of the blade can be used as a hammer.

On a lighter note? Those survival knives with the hollow handles? Worthless as teats on a boar hog. Snap like beans.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Short

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 08:54:05

The way I see it, a knife is a tool. So I'd say the best "survival" knife is one that is as durable and as versatile as possible. There's not a bone in my body that wants to be within 100 miles of a knife-fight; so a knife, to me, is a weapon only of desperate last resort. Consequently, as to its potential use as a weapon, MY idea of the best survival knife is a gun.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby ShortMan » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 15:36:58

How ya gonna make shelter with a gun?
Or do I not want to know?

ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 09:27:23

A knife is a last ditch before you get back to club weapon for defense.

However, a knife is a TOOL that allows you to modify your world, and create comfort. With a knife I can make shelter, hunt, and make fire (Flint, or create a firebow). I love guns, but I USE knives daily.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby ShortMan » Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:26:53

BUMP!

I know you guys already expressed a distaste for survival knives, but I was wondering if someone had experience with this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VN ... g=at055-20

Its a skeleton full tang.

ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Dooga » Fri, 26 Apr 2013 22:36:18

My baby is a Randall model 1

Dooga
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Gen 1 G17, Seecamp LWS32, CZ 452 Special Military Training

Next Firearm:
H&K P7

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:03:14

Dunnot like "gimick" survival knives.

I like a plain jane Kabar, Becker Companion, in a kydex sheath (Leather retains moisture, and moisture is the enemy of steel), with a sharpening stone...

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby TacticalMom » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:22:40

Reverenddel wrote:Dunnot like "gimick" survival knives.

I like a plain jane Kabar, Becker Companion, in a kydex sheath (Leather retains moisture, and moisture is the enemy of steel), with a sharpening stone...

+1

I am right there with you Reverenddel.

Being a chef knives are important to my profession. Different ones serve different purposes. A flaying does just that, allows me to cut close to the bone, and not waste any meat. I have two of them flexible and stiff. Then the chef knife, the cleaver, bread or serrated knife, pairing and so on and so forth. Those being the chef knives I use.

However, all knives I have, I much prefer the fixed blade knives. I always feel that folding knives weak point is where it pivots or folds. I would hate for it to snap at the pivot.

I look for fixed blade knives that have a full tang, with high quality steel within my price range.

I/we have two of them.
1) this sweet one:
http://www.buysog.com/cgi-bin/commerce. ... on&key=M40

Great little knive, beautiful, and holds an edge well. We love it, I got it for My husband as gift... but 50% of it is mine mine mine...has a kydex sheath. Does everything we need it to.

2) this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Model-78-Fi ... B000KOS0E4

I got this because I love glock. Just like my glock pistol it is reliable, sturdy and exactly what it says it is. Its not beautiful, but it is functional. I would not think twice about digging a hole with it, cutting down branches for a shelter, and just using it in general. I decided a long time ago that if I am afraid of using it (what ever it may be, it is a waste of money).

It also has a kydex sheath.

Both those knives are very utilitarian, and that is the way I like them.
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln

TacticalMom
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Tanya

My Arsenal:
Oh nothing special, just Nerf,squirt,and rubber dart

Next Firearm:
Yes Please, can I have some more.

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:12:35

@tacticalmom,
That Glock looks to me like it might be a decent throwin' knife.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby TacticalMom » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:30:07

dorminWS wrote:@tacticalmom,
That Glock looks to me like it might be a decent throwin' knife.

I have read others say it is a decent throwin' knife... however, I have not personally thrown it anywhere. =)

Maybe I should set up a ply wood target in the garage next weekend. Go out with it, and my Kunai knives (actual throwing knives) and test it out.

Also for those of you new to knives... anything with a serrated edge will be harder to withdraw from a body, whether it is a bear or anything else. It will provide resistance, so either will take more force or take longer to withdraw, or both.
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln

TacticalMom
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Tanya

My Arsenal:
Oh nothing special, just Nerf,squirt,and rubber dart

Next Firearm:
Yes Please, can I have some more.

Postby gunderwood » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:46:54

ShortMan wrote:BUMP!

I know you guys already expressed a distaste for survival knives, but I was wondering if someone had experience with this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VN ... g=at055-20

Its a skeleton full tang.

No distaste for survival knifes, in fact I have some. I don't like gimmicks though. Just some thoughts:

1. Good steel. That weeds out most of the cheap gimmicks, although there is nothing wrong with a quality low cost knife made of average quality blade steel(s) if you can't afford better. Given that this is a survival knife and you reasonably have justified the potential need for it, I wouldn't skimp on quality to save a few pennies. Be careful of steels that are too "hard" (i.e. brittle). They are often used because they hold a great edge, but the edge chips too easily. I learned that the hard way with a special edition Kabar that chipped with mild use. You need to balance the steels hardness with its durability.

2. Full tang and a good, solid gripping surface; preferable not hollow although Chris Reeves made some that were hollow and plenty strong (as an example). That's one of the problems with gimmicks, a blade isn't very useful if you have no way to hold it because the cheap, plastic compartment covers broke off. G10, micarta, textured steel, etc are all good materials for a grip.

3. Thick blade/tang. If it's thin, prying/pounding isn't an option. Personally I think somewhere around 1/4" is good, although a bit thicker isn't a problem either. Remember, this is a survival knife, if you need it your going to do all kinds of "bad" things to it in order to live. The goal is to have a knife up to the task, not a show piece.

4. Length should be somewhere between 5 and 8 inches IMHO. A good balance. However, I do have a smaller 4" that has its uses, but would not want that as my primary.

5. Fixed blade. Folders are great and they can be made very strong, but compared to a quality fixed blade it's no contest. FYI, I carry a Hinderer XM every day, which is about as tough of a folder as money can buy.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 01 May 2013 23:05:50

I think we have a concurred agreement from a consensus...

Fixed blade full tang 5-8 inch good steel (No junk steel) blade with Kydex sheaths no serrations.

Bang! SEARCH IT OUT!

I know when I was younger the "gimmicky" knives caught my eye, but after using things in the field, you learn what works, and what doesn't.

Kabar, Becker, Cold Steel, Gerber... It's like Ford/Chevy/Dodge, they all my trucks, but it's personal preference at some point.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 01 May 2013 23:14:48

Reverenddel wrote:I think we have a concurred agreement from a consensus...

Fixed blade full tang 5-8 inch good steel (No junk steel) blade with Kydex sheaths no serrations.

Good points. Kydex is definitely they way to go. I too prefer a straight edge over serrations, although a saw on the backside of the blade can be a nice touch.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby ShortMan » Fri, 03 May 2013 12:18:55

REVIEW:

ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby hairtriggerglock17 » Wed, 15 May 2013 10:40:19

There are so many its hard to say. I don't know about survival, but a good combat/survival knife is essential. I have seen some decent combat knives for $12. They are not the quality of a kbar, but they are about 1/4 of the price.

Personally I like my survival kit separate from the knife. I think the full tang blade is better to have than the survival kit in the blade.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
hairtriggerglock17
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
favorite gun is my colt1911, but i have several 9mm and recently got an ar15

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 15 May 2013 12:35:36

Yup! I need a full tang, and thicker blade if I need to baton thru a small sapling.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby ChrisG19 » Mon, 20 May 2013 14:46:43

Reverenddel wrote:Yup! I need a full tang, and thicker blade if I need to baton thru a small sapling.

Definitely check out the ESEE 5 then.
Hansohn Brothers, LLC

NFA Sales and Imports

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
ChrisG19
On Target
On Target

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 22 May 2013 14:41:38

NICE! I do like that!

I have picked up a Condor Golok Machete that's a HEFTY bastage! Bought a second one, so i can mess around with it to change it around!

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby gijoep » Sat, 08 Jun 2013 21:54:18

I will also agree with some of the others.....in Ranger school, my multi-tool was essential, but I would also want a "real knife" too.
RLTW!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
gijoep
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Gary

My Arsenal:
Taurus Judge, sig 516, S&W 38, Glock 19, Winchester 20 ga, Remington .410

Next Firearm:
22 bolt action rifle

Postby cwfunrider » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:30:42

Old thread but I just picked up a ESEE 4 and cannot get over how good it feels in the hand and how sturdy it is. Now I did get the partially serrated one but it is my personal preference.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

PreviousNext

ads

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)