Armor Plates

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Armor Plates

Postby bryanrheem » Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:34:20

Just curious to hear people's thoughts on this (nothing related to a pending ban).

I've never entertained the idea of buying any type of armored plates or body armor. I figured if I was getting shot at, the probably of being hit in the face, stomach, leg and bleeding out was just as high, and therefore, I should first invest in a medical class.

Anyway, a friend mentioned the fact that it is a one time purchase, and not an ongoing investment so I'm open to it. I know that I'd have to get in shape with them if I was serious about using them (extra weight), but I just don't think they're applicable here, even in a SHTF scenario.

Thoughts?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Re: Armor Plates

Postby ShotgunBlast » Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:42:28

I don't have any, because like most it's really far down on the priority list. If that list gets shorter and it makes its way to the top I'm not opposed to getting it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby Chasbo00 » Fri, 13 Mar 2015 09:26:21

I've seen some public ranges operated in a manner that would probably warrant the purchase.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 13 Mar 2015 12:39:14

I figure that if you find a good deal on armor, may as well grab it.

Besides, much like firearms, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby bryanrheem » Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:22:27

Well, AR500 always has a good deal on armor plates. It is about me revisiting what's on my priority list and sticking to that first.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:58:00

bryanrheem wrote:I've never entertained the idea of buying any type of armored plates or body armor. I figured if I was getting shot at, the probably of being hit in the face, stomach, leg and bleeding out was just as high, and therefore, I should first invest in a medical class.

extremities are bullet catchers on 2-way ranges, but often not fatal. The best medicine is to convert the field to a 1-way range. Most med-actions take minutes to 10's of minutes. The exceptions being correcting problems that are fatal in the next 3-5 min... most of those are tourniquet, or re-establish airway. The first you likely need to do yourself unless your buddy is real close. The 2nd is almost always a buddy action.

Anyway, a friend mentioned the fact that it is a one time purchase, and not an ongoing investment so I'm open to it..

soft armor degrades over time, most plates do not. Certianly the steel ones dont.

I know that I'd have to get in shape with them if I was serious about using them (extra weight),

Just up the intensity on your current workouts. IIIA soft + IV plates in a full coverage setup is 40+ lbs. Getting just chest/back coverage in steel III will be 20lbs. Plus what ever other gear you're already using.

but I just don't think they're applicable here, even in a SHTF scenario

How S-itty do you plan your scenario to be? Ukraine, Syria, Central African republic?
How involved do you expect to be? Leader, follower, wondering what happened?

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 13 Mar 2015 17:25:30

For me, I'd like to get some for my vest.

I'm smart enough to know I'm a bad leader and a bad follower. I have an A personality which makes me hard to get along with. If I did anything other than protect my family, it would have to be with a close group, 5 or less and have known them long enough to know they got my back.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:07:56

I can lead, or I can follow. Depends on the need at the time.

I'm way better at playing the useful, and semi-social, hermit, though.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby cwfunrider » Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:05:51

I have a plate carrier and plates on my list of wants. Figure I'll get the carrier first then plates as i can afford them.

Mobile Clicky Device

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby bali » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 17:26:44

I"ve got a concealable vest, and cut up another one to make threat level IIA boxer shorts. Total of 5 lbs. Stops target tipped arrows, buckshot, handgun ammo, pistol caliber carbines, .22's, including magnum from a rifle, richocheting hi-v rifle bullets, as well as some that have penetrated something else first, as well as some from far distant and some from bad angles, muzzleloader balls, pellet rifles and 30 carbine. It also helps keep me warm in cold weather. Well worth including in the BOB!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby bali » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 19:29:06

but I'd never bother with the plates, or a plate carrier. Just too damned much weight and expense to bother with!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 20:00:10

Chasbo00 wrote:I've seen some public ranges operated in a manner that would probably warrant the purchase.

AMEN! Like having a fully automatic NFA Class III Uzi pointed at my chest by a jackass who was trying to CHAMBER A ROUND!

Wished I had armor THAT day!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby bali » Fri, 07 Oct 2016 20:19:26

soft armor yes, plates no. huge difference. I"d have called the cops on that punk and had him in prison for aggravated assault. that's what it IS when you point a gun at somebody!

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Afrikaner82 » Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:38:10

I figure it depends on the situation.
I have plates but feel it depends on how bad the situation is. For short term, close range combat I fell plates is the best since most shots is going to fired at your center of mass plus everywhere else.
Usually they don't take aimed shots.

Now lighter armor for when moving longer ranges, that way you don't drain your stamina and you keep moving making you a hard target to hit.
For God, Country and Corps.
Semper Fi.

In life we face many challenges but face them we must, stand up and face what is coming.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Afrikaner82
On Target
On Target

First Name: Louis

Postby domin8ss » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 01:10:32

First thing first, get a good plate carrier that works for you. Different manufacturers work better for different body types. A Banshee Shellback works great for my wife, whereas the SKD PIG works best for me. If your looking to support a Virginia-based company you can go with London Bridge Tactical. They are in Virginia Beach on London Bridge Boulevard.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

domin8ss
Sighting In
Sighting In

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)