Forum undesirable actions with links

Report problems with the forum.
Post ideas for additions or changes to the forum.
Request help with forum functionality.

Forum undesirable actions with links

Postby wittmeba » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 07:54:33

I personally do not like the way the login is implemented. You have to open a page in the VGOF site - THEN - locate and click the login page, login in - THEN - refresh the original page if there is any settings that may affect the page for the specific user. This should not be necessary.

http://vagunforum.net/ucp.php?mode=login

This should be a directly accessible page. I believe it is the result of using the "?mode=login" method. It should just provide the login in page - it does not.

Also the links using the #page-location force the current page to update each time a link is clicked rather than allowing a new tab to be opened.

Example the page or unread - everything after the # symbol (unread, p26, etc) is an anchor and will refresh or reposition of the page rather than open a new tab which is configurable and preferred:

This should be a configurable setting by each user and defeats the benefit of multiple tabs if that is your preference. I don't want to "lose my place" on another page so if a new tab is opened I can jump back and forth reading/posting/copy/cut & paste without the page refreshing each time << not desirable!

Also clicking anywhere on the multi-colored rows it opens a new link. This makes the site too sensitive to touch. This is the purpose of links (not areas). Only the link should be used for the action.

These cause the browser to update the current tab - AND - open a new tab to the URL of the specified link.

If you do not understand the concern please pass this onto your developer/webmaster without editing or attempting to restate the concerns.

I want to continue with this forum but it is so different from other forums (many gun forums) that I am not enjoying my visits on this forum.

Also - why is the link for "...suggestions for this forum?" locked?

I guess we will see what happens.
It is still a scary thought as to how close we came
to having Hillary Clinton as president of the USA.

A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Re: Forum undesirable actions with links

Postby allingeneral » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 09:20:03

wittmeba wrote:I personally do not like the way the login is implemented. You have to open a page in the VGOF site - THEN - locate and click the login page, login in - THEN - refresh the original page if there is any settings that may affect the page for the specific user. This should not be necessary.

ucp.php?mode=login

This should be a directly accessible page. I believe it is the result of using the "?mode=login" method. It should just provide the login in page - it does not.

Not sure I follow you here. This is how the login function at VGOF has worked since our inception. If you want to ensure that you're logged in every time you visit the forum, then check the checkbox that says "Log me in automatically" and it will set a cookie in your browser and you'll never have to login again unless you log out.

wittmeba wrote:Also the links using the #page-location force the current page to update each time a link is clicked rather than allowing a new tab to be opened.

Example the page or unread - everything after the # symbol (unread, p26, etc) is an anchor and will refresh or reposition of the page rather than open a new tab which is configurable and preferred:

This should be a configurable setting by each user and defeats the benefit of multiple tabs if that is your preference. I don't want to "lose my place" on another page so if a new tab is opened I can jump back and forth reading/posting/copy/cut & paste without the page refreshing each time << not desirable!

If you want to open something in a new tab, then hold down the "CTRL" key then click the link. Wha-la - a new tab.

I think it's less desirable to open a new tab every time someone clicks a link. Making it configurable would complicate things that don't need to be complicated (IMHO).

wittmeba wrote:Also clicking anywhere on the multi-colored rows it opens a new link. This makes the site too sensitive to touch. This is the purpose of links (not areas). Only the link should be used for the action.

These cause the browser to update the current tab - AND - open a new tab to the URL of the specified link.

This was by design when I initially put this forum together. I like being able to just click a row to get to the topic at hand. Anyone else have a problem with this approach and agree with wittmeba? I can change it if it annoys everyone except me...

As to the "update current tab - AND - open a new tab" part - I just checked it, and it doesn't open a new tab for me ... just takes my current tab to the appropriate topic. What browser are you using?

wittmeba wrote:If you do not understand the concern please pass this onto your developer/webmaster without editing or attempting to restate the concerns.

I want to continue with this forum but it is so different from other forums (many gun forums) that I am not enjoying my visits on this forum.

If I do not understand the concern? Um...ok. I'm not sure why you have this condescending tone, but if you feel the need to take it elsewhere, you can feel free to do so.

wittmeba wrote:Also - why is the link for "...suggestions for this forum?" locked?

I guess it was locked because it was more of a guideline, not meant to be responded within that thread - and if you have a suggestion, then open a new thread. Oh, look - it worked! Instead of responding to that thread, you opened a new one!

wittmeba wrote:I guess we will see what happens.

That was easy, wasn't it?
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 09:50:43

@Wittmeba: One of the nice things about this forum is that concerns are addressed fairly rapidly, here, as you may have noted. Between Rick and our excellent Mod staff, they stay on top of things to keep things running smoothly, often while juggling other things.

I have noticed that virtually every internet forum has differences. I wouldn't be so quick to consider leaving just because things don't operate exactly how you're used to.

Of all the forums that in which I have participated, this one, hands down, has attracted the best class of folks on the internet.It's almost as if Rick discovered some natural troll repellent, and installed it. You can ask any "stupid question" without fear of mockery (although, we do engage in some good natured ribbing, on occasion). Virtually any question that's pertinent to keeping and bearing arms in the Commonwealth can be answered here, as well as questions that pertain to other states, as we have members that are lifelong gun-owners that have moved here from all over the country.

I've also noticed that you can receive sound advice on subjects completely unrelated to firearms, here, too. We're a pretty close internet community.

Stick around. VGOF is a great place.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Taggure » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:09:09

Of all the forums that in which I have participated, this one, hands down, has attracted the best class of folks on the internet. It’s almost as if Rick discovered some natural troll repellent, and installed it. You can ask any "stupid question" without fear of mockery (although, we do engage in some good natured ribbing, on occasion).

Not to get off subject or HiJack the thread but remember Gat6 one of the biggest Troll around

Yeap trolls are dealt with quickly and without mercy unless they are amusing and then we have a bit of fun with them.

and of course we have the (Side Note) now this of course is if they are not funny at all

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
(Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Vern

My Arsenal:
Mother: Ralphie, what would you like for Christmas?

Adult Ralphie: Horrified, I heard myself blurt it out.

Ralphie: I want an offical Red Rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle.

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:23:45

Ahh, yes... Gat6. As far as internet trolls go, he was fairly benign. And, watching his arguments get deconstructed was pretty amusing.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Taggure » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 12:21:48

I think that is why we kept him around so long
Thomas Jefferson

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Ralphie: I want an offical Red Rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle.

Postby ShotgunBlast » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:36:53

allingeneral wrote:If you want to open something in a new tab, then hold down the "CTRL" key then click the link. Wha-la - a new tab.

I think it's less desirable to open a new tab every time someone clicks a link. Making it configurable would complicate things that don't need to be complicated (IMHO).

When I visit the forum I just pull up the new posts page, scroll down the list, and open each thread I want to view in a new tab. In Google Chrome on Windows 7 either pressing the middle mouse button or CTRL left click will open a new tab but will also take your current tab to that link. For me at least, either method has never just opened a new tab. I've always had to right click, then click "open link in new tab". FYI

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby SpanishInquisition » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:42:08

I hope the OP's three whole days on this forum have been pleasant.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Postby trailrunner » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:24:58

ShotgunBlast wrote:When I visit the forum I just pull up the new posts page, scroll down the list, and open each thread I want to view in a new tab. In Google Chrome on Windows 7 either pressing the middle mouse button or CTRL left click will open a new tab but will also take your current tab to that link. For me at least, either method has never just opened a new tab. I've always had to right click, then click "open link in new tab". FYI

This is what I do, and I've noticed this too. This is the only forum or website that I use that has this behavior and it sort of defeats the purpose of opening each link in a new tab. I thought that maybe it was because I use a Mac.

However, it's not something I would have thought about complaining about.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
trailrunner
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: trailrunner

My Arsenal:
two squirt guns and a rubber-band gun

Next Firearm:
nerf gun

Postby wittmeba » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 10:04:11

allingeneral,

I use Firefox® Nightly Build (currently 33.0a1 (2014-07-16)) with TMP (Tab Mix Plus) addon.

SHMIV - Thanks, and I will do my best. I seriously (without patronizing) think there are more professional people on this forum than several others I frequent.

About trolls - Taggure -
Not to get off subject or HiJack the thread but...
- Then don't!

Back to the subject...

Starting with this page:
general-discussion/

Doing a Mouse-over this link (Detroit police chief, "More guns equal less crime.") this appears in the status bar:
general-discussion/detroit-police-chief-more-guns-equal-less-crime-t22239.html

Clicking the above moused-over link updates the current tab & opens a new tab.

Results:
This appears in the URL location field top of browser in the updated tab:
general-discussion/detroit-police-chief-more-guns-equal-less-crime-t22239.html#p198397
This appears in the newly opened tab:
The page contents are exactly the same.

Example with an unread thread:
Appears in updated tab:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22200&view=unread#unread
Appears in newly opened tab:
general-discussion/darpa-guided-sniper-bullet-changes-path-mid-flight-t22200.html

When it is not "unread" this is what I see respectively. First link is on the updated tab, second link is the newly opened tab.
general-discussion/detroit-police-chief-more-guns-equal-less-crime-t22239.html#p198397

I still don't need or want the current updated AND a new tab opened.

I don't understand why this happens or why these are different. But I do believe it is related to the "anchor" (# symbol) applied to put the link at the top of the page.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22239&view=unread#unread

I don't know why the second event occurs but perhaps it is a result of a link and background click event.

About clicking the background area.
If you click just the colored background (area around the link) you only get the current tab updated - no second tab opening. But you do not get any information that clicking that area will update the tab to a new page in the status bar from the mouse over event.

What I don't like about it is I sometimes I may have a couple applications open at the same time. If you visit another application you lose focus of the current window (the browser). I do this with Notepad to allow myself the ability to create a post and view the post simultaneously.

When I want to return to the browser I have to click (somewhere) and if it happens to be in a link background it updates the page and I lost my place. Not at all what I would expect. Example: this information is being typed into Notepad while I keep the browser open to where I am verifying the actions. If I happen to click a link background (not the link) it updates to a new page/position. It is not what I am familiar with and I don't believe I know of another forum that operates in that manner.

Here is a website powered by the same software:
http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/forum/

Note:
I have passed on some of this information to the developer of TMP (Tab Mix Plus) and there may be a fix coming. I don't know but my biggest concern is clicking in the background and changing pages is very undesirable.

Thank you for taking the time to read.
It is still a scary thought as to how close we came
to having Hillary Clinton as president of the USA.

A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby Taggure » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 17:06:03

:whistle: :popcorn:
Thomas Jefferson

Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby OleMan » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 22:58:24

SpanishInquisition wrote:I hope the OP's three whole days on this forum have been pleasant.

Four whole days now, and he has been quite busy. He may find the forum pleasant later after he has completed correcting operation of the forum. He should find the company on this forum to be entertaining and the content illuminating.

:roll:
I Love This Country! It's The Government That Scares The Hell Outta Me!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
OleMan
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Oleman

My Arsenal:
Somewhat modest, but highly effective

Next Firearm:
What I decide when I decide

Postby Palladin » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 23:57:15

Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 16:22:29

I added a login box to the top of the site for use anytime you;re not logged in. Right now, it does a good job of logging you in and redirecting you back to the original page except for the case of login in from the front page of the forum, in which case it redirects you to the main front page of the VGOF blog.

Hope that helps.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 16:39:10

Also removed the onclick events from forum rows and topic rows. Must click topic title to visit a topic now. Not sure if anyone ever used this function, or if it ever even mattered or was noticed. If you miss it, let me know. If you don't care, then just ignore and carry on smartly.

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 19:11:30

Well, I miss being able to jump to the latest post on a topic. I found that to be quite handy versus having to scroll and guess what's the latest post.

dahell?

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:11:30

You can still jump to the latest post by clicking the little page icon in the thread... let me get a screen shot...

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:14:10

allingeneral wrote:You can still jump to the latest post by clicking the little page icon in the thread... let me get a screen shot...

Ah, I see that now. Kind of awkward but it does work.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:17:32

It's a little tougher to navigate to it and click rather than just clicking the row. We can go back to the active (onclick) rows if enough people like it that way...
Attachments
click_here_for_latest_posts.png

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:21:05

I've always liked how "onclick" worked on the Discussion Forum groups as well as the individual topics.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Next

Return to Forum Suggestions and Help