Hogue Govt Al MgK Ck Flat MsH Mat Clear AnoGovt Al MgK Ck Flat MsH Mat Clear Ano
Hogue
    Hogue Govt Al MgK Ck Flat MsH BrushedGls Clear AnoGovt Al MgK Ck Flat MsH BrushedGls Clear Ano
Hogue
    Hogue Govt Al MgK Ck Flat MsH BrushedGls Black AnoGovt Al MgK Ck Flat MsH BrushedGls Black Ano
Hogue

Remington 870 Shell Eject Problem

Shotgun discussions - Shotgun ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your Shotgun.

Remington 870 Shell Eject Problem

Postby nite750 » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 16:09:16

I have a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge pump shotgun that does not reliably eject spent shells. I took it to the gunsmith at Gander Mountain in Fredericksburg, but he couldn't duplicate the problem so nothing was done to correct it. The gun has been properly cleaned and lubricated and I am using factory high brass and low brass ammo (Federal, Winchester). I am going to contact Remington again, but was wondering if anyone on the forum has had simialr problems with their 870 and what they did or had done to fix it.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
nite750
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Thomas

Re: Remington 870 Shell Eject Problem

Postby zephyp » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 21:38:06

I've had the same problem with a mossberg ejecting high brass. Low brass works fine. I think it might have something to do with expansion of the brass. SgtBill may have an idea if he sees this post.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby Vahunter » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 23:04:09

All you have to do is get it to me. I can fix it. 870's don't often have a problem.

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby zephyp » Fri, 25 Dec 2009 00:09:48

Vahunter wrote:All you have to do is get it to me. I can fix it. 870's don't often have a problem.

I can fix it too Henry. It wont cost him nothin and the job will be done in about 5 years... :hysterical:

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
My Favs:

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby nite750 » Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:43:28

Vahunter wrote:All you have to do is get it to me. I can fix it. 870's don't often have a problem.

I know what you mean about 870's. I have used them extensively for the past 25 years and never experienced this problem.

Unfortunately, we don't live near each other. What do you think the problem is?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
nite750
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby nite750 » Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:46:37

zephyp wrote:

I can fix it too Henry. It wont cost him nothin and the job will be done in about 5 years... :hysterical:

How could I possibly pass up that offer?!?! :yahoo:

nite750
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby SgtBill » Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:03:52

A couple of thing's come to mind. First the shell Chamber must be clean of any fouling. When you fire the shotgun the shell along with the brass case expands some and any residue in the chamber will drag on the case and possibly change the angel just enough on the extraction to cause a problem. The extractor's might need to be recut to put more pressure and more grip on the shell. Ensure that there is no dirt of any type under the ejector's IE Extractor where it is in contact with the bolt.

If all else fail's then take a ride to see me and I will look it over.
Bill

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby nite750 » Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:36:37

Thanks for the info. The gun was thoroughly cleaned each time before it was fired with the same results. I'm going to contact Remington and have them fix it since it is still under warranty.

nite750
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby fiasconva » Sat, 26 Dec 2009 09:12:48

There are lots of discussions all over about your problem. It seems some of the newer 870's were made with really rough chambers and shells are sticking in them. Most of the problems seem to be with the cheapo Winchester value packs. If you go to shotgunworld.com you can read all about how to fix it. It's a pretty easy fix and you won't have to send it off.
Why wouldn't you hold up the targets for me? It's a 9mm.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
fiasconva
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Pat

Postby nite750 » Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:40:32

Thanks, fiasconva, I'll give that a try.

nite750
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby mikeyboy650 » Sun, 10 Jan 2010 01:24:38

SgtBill wrote:A couple of thing's come to mind. First the shell Chamber must be clean of any fouling. When you fire the shotgun the shell along with the brass case expands some and any residue in the chamber will drag on the case and possibly change the angel just enough on the extraction to cause a problem. The extractor's might need to be recut to put more pressure and more grip on the shell. Ensure that there is no dirt of any type under the ejector's IE Extractor where it is in contact with the bolt.

If all else fail's then take a ride to see me and I will look it over.
Bill

can you tell me the link

mikeyboy650
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
remington 870 express field rifle

Postby SgtBill » Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:38:54

I dom't know what link you are refering to.
Bill

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby VAman » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:08:09

Did you get it fixed? What was it doing by failure to extract? Was it stove piping or was the pump sticking and not coming back? If the pump was sticking the solution seems to be to polish the chamber. If that's not the issue there is probably another problem.

VAman
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Lefty » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 04:12:12

You guys are ALL HIGH. I bought a Rem 870 and since it was new in the box it had problems. Spent shells would stick so bad that the extractor pin would rip through the rim of the shell. I have photos. I'm also so upset I will NEVER buy another Remington.

I called the factory and they admitted that some 870s, particularly lefties, had this problem. It is caused by negligent machining on the inside of the barrel for the first inch or so. Grooves were left in the barrel and when a shell is fired, the brass expands and grabs onto these grooves. The extractor pin also had to overcome a stray ridge that was left where the rim of the shell sits.

An entire afternoon and some 220 wet sandpaper will work fine. I would recommend thoroughly inspecting the inside surface of the barrel where the shell sits to make sure that the grooves are present. If you don't see any noticeable grooves, then something else is wrong with it. Enjoy your Crapington, I mean Remington model 870. :mad:

Lefty
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Remington 870 express mag. (lefty)

Postby zephyp » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:07:31

Lefty wrote:You guys are ALL HIGH. I bought a Rem 870 and since it was new in the box it had problems. Spent shells would stick so bad that the extractor pin would rip through the rim of the shell. I have photos. I'm also so upset I will NEVER buy another Remington.

I called the factory and they admitted that some 870s, particularly lefties, had this problem. It is caused by negligent machining on the inside of the barrel for the first inch or so. Grooves were left in the barrel and when a shell is fired, the brass expands and grabs onto these grooves. The extractor pin also had to overcome a stray ridge that was left where the rim of the shell sits.

An entire afternoon and some 220 wet sandpaper will work fine. I would recommend thoroughly inspecting the inside surface of the barrel where the shell sits to make sure that the grooves are present. If you don't see any noticeable grooves, then something else is wrong with it. Enjoy your Crapington, I mean Remington model 870. :mad:

Well. First post up so welcome. And in your first paragraph you used 2 or my favorite words - all and never...and in caps too no doubt...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
My Favs:

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby SgtBill » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:58:30

Well Lefty, welcome aboard. As far as your post about us all being High I suggest that you get to know the people at this sight prior to makeing such statement's.
Bill

SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby TJD » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 00:25:20

I just GooGled 870 ejection probs and came to this board. I have 2 870's and both have the same probs. i bought them both with in 3 months of each other new in the box. the first one i called Remmington and bitched to them. they sent me a new barrel, prob solved. the other one is having the same prob and i will be calling remmington again this week. I am not high, but I do believe what the other poster was saying about poor machining at Remmington.

TJD
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
2 REMMINGTON 870

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:27:39

Thanks for the info TJD. Seems to be a fairly wide-spread problem. Hopefully Remington has worked it out for current manufacture.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:55:14

Lefty wrote:You guys are ALL HIGH. I bought a Rem 870 and since it was new in the box it had problems. Spent shells would stick so bad that the extractor pin would rip through the rim of the shell. I have photos. I'm also so upset I will NEVER buy another Remington.

From what I understand a "rough chamber" cut is almost always because they let the reamer get too dull. A dull reamer "chatters" a bit and causes those grooves. Part of the reason factor barrels/chambering are cheap is because they reuse the same reamer over and over. A good custom smith tosses his reamer long before it gets dull to insure the best chambering job possible. That batch of barrels probably went on a batch of lefty guns.

As a side note, this is one way manufacturers combat the Fed making our money worthless. They hold down prices by lower QC. This makes things like CPI look low when in fact they are not. Every firearm brand that hasn't gone through the roof in price has the same story...they aren't like the old ones. E.g. try a new and old S&W revolver. Of course with S&W you can buy one built like the old ones, but that is the performance center and the price on those is significantly higher.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby chfaunce » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:56:02

I have an 870 Express Magnum, as well. I did not buy it new; offhand, I have no idea how old it is.

I have experienced a few instances of a shell not ejecting properly (as in, a handful of shells out of hundreds), and in each instance I was using bargain bin Winchester stuff or whatever they were selling at Bull Run that day. I've not had any problems when using premium Remington loads (sporting clay shot). I've also not had any problems with Federal or Remington buckshot loads (.00 and .000 buck).

chfaunce
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Craig

My Arsenal:
Remington 870 Express Magnum, Ruger M77 Mark II in .300 Win. Mag., Russian SKS (1955 mfg), Beeman 1000SS .177, Glock 23

Next

Return to Shotguns