Transportation of a Firearm

Hey, where would we be without rules?
New members, please take a moment to read here.

Transportation of a Firearm

Postby PulsatingBeaver » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:08:55

Hey guys

I recently bought a truck and i do not have a lockbox on it, how would i take my gun to the range and move it around the state?

PulsatingBeaver
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: pulsatingbeaver

My Arsenal:
.22lr
.223/5.56

Next Firearm:

Re: Transportation of a Firearm

Postby wally626 » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:23:32

Cased, unloaded and behind the seat should work fine. You can also open carry it in a rifle rack that is visable to common observation.

wally626
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wally

My Arsenal:
Glock 22

Postby PulsatingBeaver » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:29:47

wally626 wrote:Cased, unloaded and behind the seat should work fine. You can also open carry it in a rifle rack that is visable to common observation.

Ill keep it on the back seat unloaded. i would hate to have it sitting right there in the open

PulsatingBeaver
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
.22lr
.223/5.56

Next Firearm:

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:34:00

Are you transporting a pistol or a rifle?
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby PulsatingBeaver » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:39:47

sorry, rifle, a .22lr and soon a mosin maybe

PulsatingBeaver
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
.22lr
.223/5.56

Next Firearm:

Postby TenchCoxe » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:16:28

In general, in Virginia, as long as you are at least 18 years old and not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, you can carry a firearm anywhere that is not prohibited (e.g., courthouse, school), as long as you do not conceal the firearm. Of course, if you have a concealed handgun permit, then you can conceal a handgun. I typically have my .45 with me in my truck, either in a pocket in my briefcase, or in the center console. That is "concealed," but I have a CHP.

It is legal to have them loaded and on the seat in the open, if you want, believe it or not.

The only caveat I know of is Virginia Code § 18.2-287.4, which prohibits carrying "(a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol ... equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered", on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Note that this is limited to carrying "on or about your person." So walking around with it with an AR-15 slung over your shoulder in those areas would be a no-no, but having it in the back seat of your car should be ok, as long as it is not within your reach ("about" your person).
"[The swords of the militia], and every terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American."

TenchCoxe
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Not as many as I would like.

Postby mk4 » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:26:26

^^^
just for clarification... paragraph 2 of Virginia Code § 18.2-287.4 below.
bold added for emphasis as applicable to non-LEOs.

"The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor."
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby fireman836 » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:37:55

IANAL But In VA you can carry a firearm secured in the glovebox or center console without a CHP
§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
B.
Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:
10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.
Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

fireman836
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: John

Postby klbencheck » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 09:06:06

sorry if this question has been asked before. I am asking because I am seeing some pretty vague answers on here about this. I have a CHP and I want to know if while driving am i allowed to have my hand gun under my seat in its holster? or on the seat in the open? any help would be greatly appreciated I am just trying to fine a clear answer on this I know that because I have my CHP I can transport it in my glove ox or in a case.

Thank you

klbencheck
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
m4, baby eagle

ads

Return to Rules and Regulations