Self Defence options other than guns

Hey, where would we be without rules?
New members, please take a moment to read here.

Re: Self Defence options other than guns

Postby mamabearCali » Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:34:29

A primary defense? A pocket knife! Good heavens--NO, a pocket knife would not be my first choice on stopping an attack if I had any other way to keep distance! Way way to close of an encounter! There is a reason I have a CHP! It is better though than teeth, fists, or finger nails.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:59:25

When I was still pretty wet behind the ears and chock-full of whizz and vinegar, I won a fight with a feller who was thereafter said to be patrolling the roads with several friends and an announced intent to beat me at least half to death. An old cop told me I should go down to the hardware store, buy me a new pickaxe handle, and toss it in the back seat of my car just in case I got in a fight and needed help. He also said that if I did that I should be sure to break the handle out of a pickaxe and throw it under my front porch. His rationale was that if I was carrying that handle in case of trouble it was a deadly weapon and evidence of premeditation, but if I really had broken the handle out of my pickaxe and the replacement just happened to still be in my car when I had unexpected trouble, I stood a better chance of staying out of jail. If the old cop had been sober, the advice might have been different. Fortunately, even back then I knew better than to take such advice. Even more fortunately, the feller and his buddies never accosted me. But for some reason, I've never forgotten that interesting perpective on self defense. And, for Pete's sake, I certainly do not recommend it. Just tellin' war stories.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 07 Oct 2011 12:01:19

One of the things my mother used to do when walking through a dark parking lot at night was to get her car key in the ready to unlock position before she left the building. She would then take other random keys from her key ring and have them poking up from between her fingers, in kind of a Wolverine type fashion. Then she would walk out to her car cautiously, trying to be as aware of her surroundings as possible.

As far as the axe handle goes, it's not illegal to possess one; why should it be illegal to use it to defend yourself when attacked?
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby jmicheals1984 » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 02:37:22

mamabearCali wrote:A primary defense? A pocket knife! Good heavens--NO, a pocket knife would not be my first choice on stopping an attack if I had any other way to keep distance! Way way to close of an encounter! There is a reason I have a CHP! It is better though than teeth, fists, or finger nails.

Agreed, a Knife has an intimidation factor that a fist does not have. I just stated that I'd rather bring a Gun to a Knife fight than a Knife to a Gun fight, or a gun to Gun Fight. And never a fist to a gun fight unless I am a T-101 Terminator.

jmicheals1984
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
Yugoslavian SKS M59/66
Mosin Nagant M91/30
No.4Ml1 Enfield
CZ-52
Nagant Revolver
Mossberg 152k

Postby Riana » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:17:02

spadesofcolumbia wrote:I had a customer tell me the other day the best defense is Bear spray and a butt out field dressing tool.

While I don't even want to think about the Butt-Out tool as a defensive weapon :eek: I have recommended to some folks who do not yet own a firearm that they purchase a can of wasp spray. It shoots a 20 foot stream, and really hurts if it gets into the eyes/nose of an aggressor. It may not bring someone down, but it will certainly give the victim time to create some space (i.e., another weapon, or at least a phone).
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Riana
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Judy

My Arsenal:
More than one, but less than all of them.

Next Firearm:
Whatever follows me home

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 23:24:17

Riana wrote:
spadesofcolumbia wrote:I had a customer tell me the other day the best defense is Bear spray and a butt out field dressing tool.

While I don't even want to think about the Butt-Out tool as a defensive weapon :eek: I have recommended to some folks who do not yet own a firearm that they purchase a can of wasp spray. It shoots a 20 foot stream, and really hurts if it gets into the eyes/nose of an aggressor. It may not bring someone down, but it will certainly give the victim time to create some space (i.e., another weapon, or at least a phone).

Wasp spray seems a bit bulky, to me. I can't fathom where I'd carry a large aerosol can.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby ProShooter » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 21:53:49

Riana wrote:

Riana - sending you a pm.

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby zerodown1 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 13:09:51

Good situational awareness,avoid and evade tactics will do as much or more for you than the wepons suggested here. For that time when despite all you have done, your attacked by someome with a gun,well,I know you have heard it,don't bring a knife to a gun-fight. A woman with a knife is no match for a man with a knife in most cases. Disparity of force enters into it as well. A male attacker will usually seek out a weaker person, bad guys don't usually look for someone their equal or greater to attack.If you are a woman you are at A DISADVANTAGE TO START WITH. At best you might be able to level the playing field if your very very good with the afore mentioned types of wepons. Your choice of a defensive tool should give you an advantage,not make you equal.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor basic pistol, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter
Beware of wolves in sheedogs clothing

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
zerodown1
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Sensai

My Arsenal:
All my gun were stolen. I did not file a police report.

Next Firearm:
Hello kitty bubble gun

Postby SpanishInquisition » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 13:27:03

Arent insecticides neurotoxins? Might do more than temporarilly incapacitate a bad guy.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 13:48:06

SHMIV wrote:One of the things my mother used to do when walking through a dark parking lot at night was to get her car key in the ready to unlock position before she left the building. She would then take other random keys from her key ring and have them poking up from between her fingers, in kind of a Wolverine type fashion. Then she would walk out to her car cautiously, trying to be as aware of her surroundings as possible.

As far as the axe handle goes, it's not illegal to possess one; why should it be illegal to use it to defend yourself when attacked?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old thread, here, but I'll answer:

The axe handle is not illegal. But the thinking would be something like this: If you procured and carried it intending to use it to beat the crap out of someone, then it is arguably not only a deadly weapon; it is also evidence that you premeditated violence against someone. Think George Zimmerman, here. Some priggish little Commonwealth's attorney, plaintiff's lawyer, or aggrieved relative is liable to decide to try to get you hung for going out looking for a fight and hurting some fine upstanding citizen just because he tried to whup your butt first.

But if you happened to have that axe handle in your car because you'd bought it to replace the broken one in your axe at home, then in the exigency of the moment you just siezed upon a tool that was fortuitousdly at hand to defend yourself when you beat the crap out of that fellow.

See the difference?
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:

Postby TenchCoxe » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 14:51:35

To quote Clint Eastwood in "Pale Rider": "There's nothing like a good piece of hickory."
"[The swords of the militia], and every terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American."

TenchCoxe
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Not as many as I would like.

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 01:09:02

I actually carried an axe handle in my car for a while. I found it in a pile of axe handles that had been left in a park for use as firewood. As I wasn't a gun owner at the time, I figured that it would make a great defensive tool while I waited to stumble upon a pile of axe heads left in a park for use as doorstops and paperweights. Still waiting on that pile of axeheads, but have long since misplaced the handle.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby pwichitnak » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:06:02

I agree with RockOr from the second post about developing a Force Continuum, but that is coming from a former military special operator who had to obey by the Rules of Engagement. But nobody that I know of would follow that. Seems like they're quick to unholster at a karate stance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
pwichitnak
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Beretta M9A1

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:54:14

lazarus thread, back from the dead.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby moss20 » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 23:22:31

jdonovan wrote:lazarus thread, back from the dead.

+1

Just love new people not looking at dates and posting on over year old threads.
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
T Jefferson

4-H Certified Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol, Archery & Muzzleloading Instructor
NRA/ATA Shotgun Coach

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
moss20
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Doug

My Arsenal:
One for every occasion ....... like shoes

Next Firearm:
Whatever I can find that interest me

Postby Palladin » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 08:12:54

All right you two, where's that Southern Hospitality?! :)

I'm starting to think it's kind of cool when youngun's dig stuff out of the back - gives you an idea of what their interests are.

(hops down off stump, muttering - " Dang! Have I really been hangin' 'round here going on 4 years??!!")
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 09:29:36

Palladin wrote:All right you two, where's that Southern Hospitality?! :)

I'm starting to think it's kind of cool when youngun's dig stuff out of the back - gives you an idea of what their interests are.

(hops down off stump, muttering - " Dang! Have I really been hangin' 'round here going on 4 years??!!")

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ahh... give 'em a break. It's easy for a newbie to not pick up on the date of an OP. Been guilty of it myself. Besides, ..... t'ain't so bad to reanimate an old post; especially if it isn't one that goes stale. And this one was about a subject of continuing interest and importance, so I say no harm done. If it was about last year's Superbowl I might feel different.........

I don't even want to speculate 'bout what you might have been doing all perched up on a stump.................. :hysterical:

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Palladin » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 10:11:30

:roll: why I was preachin, of course! Can't get no elevation with a box of Tide any more... durned things just crumple up. :clap:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby adamdunn » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:29:09

Jakeiscrazy wrote:
TimberWolf wrote:
RocKor wrote:Pepper spray, batons, and even Tasers are okay. Folding tactical knives are okay, but FIXED blades cannot be concealed (they must be carried in an open fashion).

Do you have any reference for not being able to carry fixed blades concealed? The only thing I've seen is in VA Code 18..2-308 (A) where it specifically notes dirks and bowie knives. I have a friend that carries a Ka-Bar TDU (<3") concealed on his weak side. I'm sure he isn't interested in breaking the law though.

RocKor is mistaken. Here is what you cannot conceal in VA.

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

What about keeping this on a keychain?

I love dogs so I have it on my keychain. :-D It is made out of hard plastic (no metal). Thoughts?

adamdunn
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Previous

ads

Return to Rules and Regulations