Rules on buying from individuals

Hey, where would we be without rules?
New members, please take a moment to read here.

Rules on buying from individuals

Postby JamesDuncan » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 03:29:03

To save a few $, I'd like to buy either a pistol or a shotgun -- used.

Is their a condensed "Buying from a private party FAQ"?

I've three concerns and questions:
1) Staying legal -- I've begun looking through much of the gun legislation, but it's obtuse.
2) Staying safe -- Where should I meet someone? At a gunsmith? Retail store that sells guns?
3) Getting a fair deal -- Should I ask for an appraisal/pre-purchase inspection and pay for it, like I would a car? How do I ensure what I buy is fairly priced for its condition?

Thank you!

JamesDuncan
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
I don't own any guns, but have enjoyed shooting those a friend owns, as well as his crossbow.

Re: Rules on buying from individuals

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 10:33:40

#1: The law is very obtuse, but here's the basics...
1A: You both must be legal residents of Virginia. Most people will ask to see a VA D/L, voter card, concealed handgun permit, etc. Both parties have the burden to verify this information.
1B: A bill of sale is always a good idea for CYA. There is no legal requirement, it's just a common sense thing. You can find a bill of sale form posted in this thread. firearms-for-sale/buy-sell-and-trade-here-t20.html

#2: Always meet in a public place. I call this the Craigslist rule.

#3: Momma told me, you gotta shop around. Web searches are your friend here. And, feel free to ask the friendly folks here at VGOF. We hardly ever bite.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby JamesDuncan » Mon, 04 Jan 2016 21:18:53

Sage advice!

Would you suggest I insist on taking photos (ie. with a cell phone's digital camera) of their proof of VA residency? I think this would make me nervous (privacy issues even more than gun registration issues), but seems logical.

JamesDuncan
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
I don't own any guns, but have enjoyed shooting those a friend owns, as well as his crossbow.

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 19:55:44

You want a signed bill of sale that you can keep, no problem. Look at my ID's sure, all good.

if you start wanting pictures of me, copy of ID's etc... I'm likely to walk away from the deal.

a deal - know what you are buying, and what it sells for. gunbroker is a good place to get a pulse of the current market pricing. Make sure you look for the completed adds, that had bids... know what ask vs sell price is.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

ads

Return to Rules and Regulations