Private Handgun Purchasing If I'm Under 21

Hey, where would we be without rules?
New members, please take a moment to read here.

Private Handgun Purchasing If I'm Under 21

Postby GrantIce » Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:12:18

Hey, first post.

I know this thread pops up a lot on here, but I havent seen the legality of handgun sales to someone 18-20 discussed. It appears that under federal law it is perfectly legal, however, the virginia state laws are very confusing. If someone could help me figure this out that would be appreciated. If possible, citing the laws specifically would also be very helpful, as I don't want to take any chances of breaking any laws here. I just want a revolver.

Thanks,
Grant

EDIT: Also, when I spoke to an FFL dealer earlier. He mentioned something called a "gestalt purchase," but I can't find any information whatsoever about that online and I feel like he made the term up or I misunderstood him.
LOOKING TO BUY A CHIAPPA RHINO 40/50/60DS FROM A PRIVATE SELLER. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS SELLING ONE

GrantIce
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Grant

My Arsenal:
1934 - Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 [10/1/16]

Next Firearm:
Chiappa - Rhino

Re: Private Handgun Purchasing If I'm Under 21

Postby wittmeba » Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:26:18

This might help.

and this (scroll down here):

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

You can always make a phone call to a local state police location if necessary.

This page has several errors.
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby GrantIce » Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:53:27

wittmeba wrote:This might help.

and this (scroll down here):

You can always make a phone call to a local state police location if necessary.

I appreciate the response, but you posted the same link twice and said it had errors. Did you mean to give different ones?

Thanks
LOOKING TO BUY A CHIAPPA RHINO 40/50/60DS FROM A PRIVATE SELLER. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS SELLING ONE

GrantIce
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Grant

My Arsenal:
1934 - Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 [10/1/16]

Next Firearm:
Chiappa - Rhino

Postby wittmeba » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 19:10:51

I'm so sorry. This is the second link that seems to be inaccurate:

http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/virginia-gun-laws
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby jdonovan » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 08:24:44

wittmeba wrote:You can always make a phone call to a local state police location if necessary.

don't EVER ask the police for legal advice.

If you want legal advice you ask a lawyer.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby bali » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 17:56:20

just because you can't buy from a dealer, ages 18-20 does not mean that you can't buy from a private seller, and yes, you can legally own it at such an age, in most states, at least. Not sure about VA

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 14:45:15

You can't purchase from an FFL unless you're 21 or older. However, at age 18 you are legal and can legally purchase a firearm privately from a Virginia resident.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby bali » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 15:05:13

pre 1968, anyone who could send a MO could get a pistol in the mail, ferchrissakes, and violence was a LOT less common, probably because of just exactly this fact. You were a lot more likely to get shot for trying your bs on somebody, back then, than you are today.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby BertMacklin » Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:57:56

Two considerations not mentioned but an issue I've seen a few people deal with:

1. Practicing at a range- I've been turned down by a few for not being 21 (at the time) which as a private business is their prerogative but can make practice/training more difficult than expected.

2. Ammunition- "FFLs are prohibited from selling or transferring handguns or handgun ammunition to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21 Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18"

Found from:

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/federa ... egulation/
(Not the greatest source but gives a good overview of the reality you are likely to face, though if I am wrong please correct me.)

So anyone over 18, at least in Virginia can possess handgun ammunition but cannot* purchase it from an FFL. Many have gotten around this by buying ammo from friends over 21, much like you would have to for a handgun. While I cannot condone this or speak to the legality of it (IANAL) I have heard of people asking for ammo for rifles (say a sub-2000 for 9mm or a Henry Big Boy for 357 or 38. Special) or simply going to a shop that doesn't much care about this federal law.

Also, about the gestalt purchase I have had FFL's offer to sell a handgun to a family member when this dilemma arose, but maybe it's unrelated to the term. I don't know what separates this from a straw purchase but I've been told it relates to the additional leeway given to intra-family transfers atleast under federal law. I ended up buying my handguns through armslist or personal friends.

BertMacklin
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Glock 22 Gen. 3
Rem. 597
T/C Venture 30-06
H&R Topper 20

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 11 Oct 2016 19:40:49

so if I own a CX4, is 9x19 suddenly rifle ammo?

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Ironbear » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:48:53

My brother ran into the same problem. Legally purchased handgun, difficulty buying ammo for it.

The law puts the stores that are required to comply, in a real stupid position. They end up asking if it is for a handgun or rifle.

They legally:
Can sell you .30-06 for your Model 700.
Can't sell you .30-06 for your TC contender.
Can sell you 9mm for your Marlin Camp Carbine.
Can't sell you 9mm for your Glock.
Can sell you .22 LR for your 10/22.
Can't sell you .22 LR for your Charger.

It is nuts to legally require the store to verify something they simply cannot verify. I can't even verify whether a particular batch of .22 was going to end up shot from a pistol or a rifle!
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby BertMacklin » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:38:38

Yeah a lot of it depends on the store itself. A Walmart employee once refused to give my brother .22 LR because it was on their list of, "handgun ammunition", despite this actually being for a rifle. He didn't ask what it was for, really didn't know or care when he told him it was for a rifle. So he asked to buy a cricket rifle they had on a turn table and asked if he could buy a box of ammo for it. Then it sort of clicked for this guy and he allowed the sale of just the ammo. Gander Mountain asked me if a box of .22 WMR was for a pistol, before ringing it up.

BertMacklin
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Glock 22 Gen. 3
Rem. 597
T/C Venture 30-06
H&R Topper 20

Postby WRW » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:18:24

An interesting point to be made here: In 1968 the age to vote was 21 and the Gun Control act used that as the age of majority. Within three years the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18... Old enough to fight for your Country...old enough to determine the politics of said Country. Perhaps the GCA should be amended to reflect that fact...or the 26th Amendment should be repealed

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Return to Rules and Regulations