Local Gun Laws

Hey, where would we be without rules?
New members, please take a moment to read here.

Local Gun Laws

Postby chaz » Tue, 01 Dec 2015 18:45:00

Hello Everyone,

I have a niece who lives in King George. She recently purchased legally a hand gun. She lives in an area that is considered rural. She wants to be able to practice her target shooting skills in her yard. She has houses that are closer than a 1000 feet away. I use the 1000 foot rule because I am a hunter in MD. What are the rules in VA for discharging a fire arm? Can anybody give exact rules and regulations that I can pass on to her. She does not want to get into any trouble.
:doh:
Thank you

chaz
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: Local Gun Laws

Postby OakRidgeStars » Tue, 01 Dec 2015 19:32:30

From the VA DGIF website: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/

It shall be unlawful to discharge a firearm within any densely populated area: within 200 yards from any structure or within 100 yards from any public street, secondary road, or highway within the city, except on a permitted firing range or at or upon the property of another without permission.

I wasn't able to find any additional information on the COV site, but you can search it from this link:

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby chaz » Tue, 01 Dec 2015 20:33:32

^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you, I will pass the info on to her.

chaz
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby AlanM » Wed, 02 Dec 2015 04:56:35

except on a permitted firing range or at or upon the property of another without permission.

I hope that is a typo or I'm reading it wrong.

Shouldn't that say "or upon the property of another with permission"

I couldn't find that regulation text in the link provided. Then again it is 0400 right now.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 02 Dec 2015 10:00:50

AlanM wrote:I couldn't find that regulation text in the link provided. Then again it is 0400 right now.

It's under the Regulations link shows restrictions by municipality.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby AlanM » Wed, 02 Dec 2015 12:51:57

I guess it depends on whether or not the "or" is part of the exception or the first part of that sentence.
I hate legalese.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Sat, 05 Dec 2015 10:27:31

So before I ever got into hunting and learned the regs stated above, I used my backyard without thinking twice about it. But I did take common sense approaches:
1) Talked to the neighbors and let them know that I was going to be back there shooting
2) contacted the Sheriff's office to let them know, giving my phone number and time window

Never had a problem for the last 18 years living here. Google earth shows houses within the 200yd boundary of where I shoot; but funny thing is those neighbors shoot as well.
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
In a near AWB world, I say:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby AlanM » Sun, 06 Dec 2015 09:04:11

MNMGoneShooting wrote:Never had a problem for the last 18 years living here. Google earth shows houses within the 200yd boundary of where I shoot; but funny thing is those neighbors shoot as well.

At their own targets or are they returning fire?

Back in Ohio I once asked my barber where he shot (meaning practiced).
He answered, "Oh, I shoot at my in-laws."
"Really, how much do you lead them?" I responded.
AlanM

AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Sun, 06 Dec 2015 22:22:01

AlanM wrote:
MNMGoneShooting wrote:Never had a problem for the last 18 years living here. Google earth shows houses within the 200yd boundary of where I shoot; but funny thing is those neighbors shoot as well.

At their own targets or are they returning fire?

Back in Ohio I once asked my barber where he shot (meaning practiced).
He answered, "Oh, I shoot at my in-laws."
"Really, how much do you lead them?" I responded.

LOL - Sometimes I wonder if they see my targets and shoot at them ;-)
No return fire; we're all neighbors just believing in our right to keep our guns and make sure they are operational and we know how to use them.

I live near our county sheriff. Back in the day when I was on social media, she would ask me if that was me doing all that shooting.
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
In a near AWB world, I say:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Return to Rules and Regulations