internet ccp...

Hey, where would we be without rules?
New members, please take a moment to read here.

internet ccp...

Postby steelheart » Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:07:23

anyone else going uhhh by the whole "get your concealed carry online" thing besides me? i know in this day and age were all busy and barely have time to breath but id rather have someone at LEAST do a mandatory 2 hour class at minimum to get their permit for concealed carry. i know there are firearms instructors on here so chime in folks. sorry for any typos.

steelheart
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: keith

My Arsenal:
s&w tactical .40- .270 remington- 20 ga stephens shotgun

Next Firearm:
beretta 96a1

Re: internet ccp...

Postby Chasbo00 » Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:33:04

The whole CHP training requirement is ridiculous and goes well beyond on-line training. There are no meaningful standards. It's quite possible to attend a hunter safety course or submit a DD214 following military service and have never touched a handgun. This is probably also true for some concealed carry classes being taught. VA should do what PA does - no state mandated training requirement for a permit.

I do think that folks who own or carry a handgun should seek out and get training, and that this training should include actually shooting. It sad too many don't.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 02 Jan 2012 20:12:07

I don't mind internet CHP training. It doesn't hurt that it helps pay the bills around here...

http://www.concealed-carry.net/sanpob01
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Kreutz » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 19:11:59

steelheart wrote:anyone else going uhhh by the whole "get your concealed carry online" thing besides me? i know in this day and age were all busy and barely have time to breath but id rather have someone at LEAST do a mandatory 2 hour class at minimum to get their permit for concealed carry. i know there are firearms instructors on here so chime in folks. sorry for any typos.

I did it, it was OK. I had prior handgun shooting experience in the Army, but the idea of trying to even find my DD-214 amongst all the stuff (we had recently moved to Virginia) was daunting, so, I plunked down whatever it cost, watched, learned a few things, took test, passed, then had the wife do it.

Took me five months after i got the permit to get to a range and shoot, the last time I had shot a handgun was probably over ten years ago.

Fun fact, I was 18 and the range officer was uncertain if firing handguns was illegal for me as an 18 year old on an Army range as part of training, I kid you not. had to sit and wait until he confirmed with God knows who. :roll:

I support the online route for busy people, it was fairly comprehensive.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 21:48:33

allingeneral wrote:I don't mind internet CHP training. It doesn't hurt that it helps pay the bills around here...

http://www.concealed-carry.net/sanpob01

You offer online CHP classes, too?
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby jmicheals1984 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 03:54:06

Call me old fashioned but I would rather have an actual person teach the class for me. Is there also a class that also goes over VA Laws regarding handguns?

jmicheals1984
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
Yugoslavian SKS M59/66
Mosin Nagant M91/30
No.4Ml1 Enfield
CZ-52
Nagant Revolver
Mossberg 152k

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 07:50:17

jmicheals1984 wrote: Is there also a class that also goes over VA Laws regarding handguns?

Yes, there is - http://proactiveshooters.com/general-co ... rry-in-va/

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby fuze » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:49:53

I did the online route when I did it... quick and painless, the way it should be. I was handed a shotgun when I was 7 years old and told to have fun and not kill anyone. I was not interested in a 2 hour class to tote around my pistol when the time came.

fuze
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
Nunya.

Next Firearm:
Colt Anaconda

Postby dmharvey » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:15:44

Could skimping on the training, just to meet the minimum requirements, come back to bite you if you had to use your weapon and ended up in court as a result?

Example -
Prosecutor: 'What sort of firearm or self defense training did you have prior to this event?'
You: 'Well, I took an online course...'

When I originally got my CCP it was in Michigan and I took a 4-day course hosted by a police academy at a local community college (3-day classroom, 1-day range). My reason for doing so was to ensure I was informed on responsibilities/liabilities and for the reasons I mentioned above.

dmharvey
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Dennis

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:44:48

dmharvey wrote:Could skimping on the training, just to meet the minimum requirements, come back to bite you if you had to use your weapon and ended up in court as a result?

Example -
Prosecutor: 'What sort of firearm or self defense training did you have prior to this event?'
You: 'Well, I took an online course...'

When I originally got my CCP it was in Michigan and I took a 4-day course hosted by a police academy at a local community college (3-day classroom, 1-day range). My reason for doing so was to ensure I was informed on responsibilities/liabilities and for the reasons I mentioned above.

Hopefully, you have a good lawyer to circumvent that question in the case of not having any training.

Your Lawyer: Objection! Training is not at issue here, as evidenced by my client's active Concealed Handgun Permit, he had sufficient training as required by state law. *Cite: Code of Virginia 18.2-308.G(1-9)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Chasbo00 » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:44:21

Some people have the opposite concern. They worry some prosecutor is going to make an issue of their extensive training. For example, "Mr. John Doe here has attended several tactical shooting courses and is a three-gun competitor who routinely shoots at human form targets. He is obviously a killer."

Personally, I think too many people worry about all kinds of factors that could possibly affect them in a shooting related self-defense trial. Training, trigger pull weight, ammunition type, and gun modifications are just some examples. If you were legally authorized to use deadly force when you did, then you should be OK in a trial - there are no guarantees though.

Skimping on training is likely to bite you with a negligent discharge or a failure to defend yourself.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:15:32

Well stated, Charlie! :thumbsup:

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby GunShopGuy » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:56:05

Regardless of how the permit is obtained, the real responsibility comes when you carry. Are you proficient with your handgun? Can you clear a stoppage without thinking about it or looking at the pistol? Does the bullet impact at the point of aim? These questions can only be answered at the range. God forbid that anyone should have to answer for the death of someone other than their attacker.

GunShopGuy
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Favorites, 1911-M70-AR's-870

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:14:30

If I were ever so unlucky as to have to use a gun in self-defense and were asked about any training I had taken, whatever the form of training, I certainly hope my answer would be something close to: “I have owned, carried and used firearms for several decades now. Even though I was fully confidant of my expertise, experience and judgment, I took formal training to expose myself to an external and widely-accepted standard of knowledge, skill and training, so as to even further assure that my actions and practices would be in conformance with the standards of the community. One is never too old or too well-educated to learn more."
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby tursiops » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:45:41

dorminWS wrote:If I were ever so unlucky as to have to use a gun in self-defense and were asked about any training I had taken, whatever the form of training, I certainly hope my answer would be something close to: “I have owned, carried and used firearms for several decades now. Even though I was fully confidant of my expertise, experience and judgment, I took formal training to expose myself to an external and widely-accepted standard of knowledge, skill and training, so as to even further assure that my actions and practices would be in conformance with the standards of the community. One is never too old or too well-educated to learn more."

+1
Well said.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
tursiops
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: yes

Postby Reca » Mon, 28 May 2012 11:55:16

If you can get a degree online why not get a CHP training online? That being said I got my CHP training online only to get my certification faster. I still have full intentions of going to get some "real" training but I feel as if I am knowledgeable and responsible enough to conduct myself appropriately. After all I carry everyday and have been doing so for 3 years. What difference does it make if it's OC or CC??
I invite everyone to come to the range with me. It's as simple as letting me know what day you want to meet up.

Reca
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Reca

My Arsenal:
Taurus Judge
Glock 19
Ruger MKIII

Next Firearm:
Open to suggestion

Postby dcswindler4 » Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:02:13

i've been debating the online course vs an in person class and with my lack of available time at the moment, ill look into the online course for the time being and get more training in person as time allows

dcswindler4
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Glock 23 3rd gen

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:21:59

dcswindler4 wrote:i've been debating the online course vs an in person class and with my lack of available time at the moment, ill look into the online course for the time being and get more training in person as time allows

TheWife took this one to get her CHP. It took about an hour to complete.

-> http://www.concealed-carry.net/sanpob01

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Chasbo00 » Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:23:54

This one is only $24.95...

http://www.vaguntraining.com/

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 07 Jun 2012 13:37:44

allingeneral wrote:
dcswindler4 wrote:i've been debating the online course vs an in person class and with my lack of available time at the moment, ill look into the online course for the time being and get more training in person as time allows

TheWife took this one to get her CHP. It took about an hour to complete.

-> http://www.concealed-carry.net/sanpob01

But this one helps VGOF :)

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22