IMPORTING GUNS HOME

Hey, where would we be without rules?
New members, please take a moment to read here.

Re: IMPORTING GUNS HOME

Postby chuckjordan2 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:30:35

I'm in VA and having three .22lr target rifles imported from Germany. They are mostly from 1950's-1960's and two are collector pieces. I have a German export dealer applying for the export license and a US Importer (in VA) to fill out the form 6. Plus I have to pay a 3% import tax (based on the price I paid, not valuation) and this was mentioned above.

My question is about stamping the importers name, city, state on the firearm. Since 2 of mine are collector pieces, what are the rules/law on where they must stamp that info? I was told on the receiver,however, one of my receivers is covered in wood (can it be stamped on the receiver under the wood?). Any leeway on that?

Also, does it need to be etched (I was informed it was) or can it be stamped)? Do you know anyone that can laser etch it in? I'd prefer laser etching as it would look nicer than regular etching (and wouldn't detract from it's collector value

Here are the collector pieces, you be the judge & jury:
This is an early Weihrauch HW52
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k403 ... hbchse.jpg

This is a custom .22lr falling block (based off the Suhl action) by R.Eckhardt Bielefeld.
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k403 ... 396ee8.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k403 ... 395f92.jpg

Any advice appreciated.

chuckjordan2
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Chuck

My Arsenal:
I dunno?

Next Firearm:
Why?

Postby davasmith » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:54:19

Hot damn. I was biting my lip because what he did was the only RIGHT thing to do. But you never know whos reading what, and whos trying to make rank. Glad he got 'em home.

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joshua

My Arsenal:
A sharp wit, and a big stick.... shhhh...

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Postby Diomed » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 02:42:00

chuckjordan2 wrote:Since 2 of mine are collector pieces, what are the rules/law on where they must stamp that info? I was told on the receiver,however, one of my receivers is covered in wood (can it be stamped on the receiver under the wood?). Any leeway on that?

The regulation is at 27 CFR ยง478.92. The barrel, frame or receiver has to have the required info (except for the serial number, which must be on the receiver or frame). The markings must be "conspicuous", which is usually interpreted as not being obstructed from view when the firearm is fully assembled.

Your importer can request a marking variance. Don't hold your breath though.

Also, does it need to be etched (I was informed it was) or can it be stamped)? Do you know anyone that can laser etch it in?

Any method that meets the depth requirements is fine. Be aware that most engraving lasers cannot meet the requirements - they do not displace material, merely color it.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby chuckjordan2 » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:46:18

Thanks for the reference Diomed.

So, Laser will not meet the depth reqs? Too bad, it sure could look purdy.

Anyway, trying to make a good situation out of what it is....

chuckjordan2
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Chuck

My Arsenal:
I dunno?

Next Firearm:
Why?

Postby Palladin » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:17:50

Chuck - pm sent
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby kanata67 » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:12:23

arkypete wrote:One of my buddies brought home a few rifles from his tour in Germany. He took them apart and sent them home as repair parts over a year's time, cost very little.
As U.S. citizens, we are obligated to never tell the central government the truth.

Jim

+1

amazing what can be fit inside a speaker when returning from a long deployment. Best part is the Gov't pays for the shipping :hysterical:
"The deeper sorrow cleaves into your soul the greater it's capacity to contain joy" -DeSade

when in doubt set it on fire.

kanata67
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
walther p22
others

Postby utfanx2 » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 23:08:57

Well I would say the guns were shipped from a Military Base in Germany, which is technically U.S. soil, so if ATF didn't bother to ask for a tax when he brought them on base, then how can they charge for them now? U.S. to U.S. is not still U.S?
However, I am glad he got them in anyways.

utfanx2
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Ruger
Beretta
Remington
Winchester

Previous

Return to Rules and Regulations