Background Checks/IDs

Hey, where would we be without rules?
New members, please take a moment to read here.

Re: Background Checks/IDs

Postby Nevermore1 » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:22:10

I know this is an OLD thread (I read it for the info anyways). I have one question. What does the state you are born in have to do with the background check for purchasing a firearm? You don't have to be born in the US to make a purchase. Both times I have purchased firearms (one handgun, one shotgun) my background check went through immediately. According to some posts if you were born in certain locations it could cause a delay due to waiting for a response from that location. I was born in Thailand and have never had an issue so I would think your birthplace has nothing to do with whether or not there is a delay in the response. Any delay is most likely caused by a common name (mine is not super common but isn't particularly unique either).

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Nevermore1
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
Glock 19

Postby ChristCrusader » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:06:36

I would expect place of birth would be a degree of confirmation of the identity of the person being investigated

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
ChristCrusader
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby flyingron » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 04:33:06

From talking to the guys at Sterling Arsenal waiting for my check to come back it sounds like it's not so much what YOUR profile is or ID but just how backlogged the system is...avoid peak times.

flyingron
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Ron

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer P229 357 SIG/40 SW
Sig Sauer P250-SC-40
Dan Wesson Model 7 38 Special
Beretta U22 Neos (22 LR)
Ruger 10/22 Takedown
Remington 870 12g

Postby flyingron » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 09:11:26

I've had checks go through in a few minutes and others take overnight. I suspect the state allows the VASP to do some quick identity verification with your name and birthdate that isn't easily done if they don't know which state's database to start with. Obviously if you're not born in the US, you probably escape that check.

flyingron
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Ron

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer P229 357 SIG/40 SW
Sig Sauer P250-SC-40
Dan Wesson Model 7 38 Special
Beretta U22 Neos (22 LR)
Ruger 10/22 Takedown
Remington 870 12g