Henry AR-7...

Rimfire pistols and rifles discussion

Henry AR-7...

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 28 Jun 2015 22:36:24

Well Friday I picked up one of these for a song! And glad I did! Shot that thing today without cleaning it first, just to give it a break-in, see what it would do.

I remembered how horrible Charter Arm's AR-7's were in the late 80's.

Oh no... Henry IMPROVED on this design quite a bit! I was grouping off hand, with my horrible eyesight about 3"-4" groupings freehand in the middle of a field, and made a Pepsi can dance like it was hearing a rumba....

Cleaned it, and the previous owner ABUSED the poor thing! Never cleaned it. I wonder how well it'll shoot NOW that it's barrel is spotless, the chamber is clean, and the power residue is gone from the bolt?

NEVER thought I would say this, but I would highly recommend one of these .22LR rifles for a backup, or a simple hiking situation.

Impressed. :thumbsup:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Re: Henry AR-7...

Postby Snakester » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 06:11:31

I have a friend that bought one for his son to carry when back packing . Before he gave it to him he wanted to check it out and make sure it would perform as advertised . He and I agreed being a Henry it should since He has 3 and I have 5.

We started shooting at 25 yds. and after a slight adjustment we were hitting golf balls with every shot. We also shot it at 100 yds. and I have to say it did quite well.

It is a great firearm for what it was designed for and being a Henry makes it that much better. Congrats on your purchase! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby CCFan » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 07:55:11

:thumbsup: I have one of those as well... I bought it for my son when he grows a little older - he may not get it!

I put a Primary Arms red dot on it, just to see how it'd shoot. I was pretty happy with the 50 yard performance out of that thing, more accurate than the open sights will allow for. Great back-pack gun!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Resistance to Tyranny is Obedience to God.

CCFan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: none

Postby kelu » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:59:36

Is it better than a Ruger take-down?
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Mindflayer » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:12:31

kelu wrote:Is it better than a Ruger take-down?

That's the question!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby Snakester » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:46:21

I have 2 Ruger Take Downs , We shoot both a lot. I think The Henry is a very fine Rifle for what it was designed for and is very compact. I prefer the RTD for the type of shooting we do , mostly at our Range. Carol did bag several rabbits last year.

The Ruger comes with a 10 rd. rotary mag. and we also have 25 rd. and 35 rd. mags.Even though they shoot the same ammo , there are many differences in the two.

The Ruger is the heavier of the two and is not as compact as The AR-7 , but both are a lot of fun to shoot ! :machinegun:

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 09:12:46

I own 3 10/22's, so I am biased. However, for a compact, lightweight, easy to store .22LR for hiking? I would carry this... 32 rounds in three mags, all stored in the stock. No separate bags, no spare items, just a simple design that works.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Snakester » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:32:50

Reverenddel wrote:I own 3 10/22's, so I am biased. However, for a compact, lightweight, easy to store .22LR for hiking? I would carry this... 32 rounds in three mags, all stored in the stock. No separate bags, no spare items, just a simple design that works.

I too am 10/22 POOR....Along with the 2 TD's I have a wood stock that I have had so long I don't even remember when I got it. I also have a "Black Stock" SS Barrel model.

However if I were a YOUNG MAN and planned to do some backpacking and hiking my # 1 choice would be The Henry AR7 !

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

ads

Return to Rimfires