GSG 1911-22.......

Rimfire pistols and rifles discussion

GSG 1911-22.......

Postby Diggs27 » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:06:17

Hey all; I am looking at purchasing an ATI GSG 1911 within the next few weeks, and just have a few questions. On the website; it says that this firearm is built on a full size 1911 frame. I was just wondering if anyone on here could tell me what size aftermarket grips would work with this..... I do want to change out the grips to "personalize" it to my style, and have found some on a website that I really liked (Bone that was polished to look like ivory with a mother of pearl inlay; which I think would look perty on a black framed gun) but the site had a bunch of different options as far as size, ambi-safety cutouts, etc. Does anyone else happen to have this gun, and if so; any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also; seen that this comes new with 2 mags. What would you recommend as a decent holster with mag pouch for this gun.. something somewhat on the lower end of the scale price wise as I will be mainly carrying this around the farm, and occasionally into town; so something that could possibly be used CC'ing would also be helpful.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Diggs27
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
Daisy "pump action" BB gun......LOL
Mossberg 702 Plinkster w/ 4X scope
Mossberg 500 Field/deer combo

Next Firearm:
Walthers PPK .40

Re: GSG 1911-22.......

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:37:38

Just happens I've got one of those I've not fired yet. I just got it out and looked at it; comparing it with a couple of other .45ACP 1911s. I didn't take the grips off any of them - - just "eyeballed them carefully. Looks to me like the screws that hold the grips to the frame are on the same centers. The grips on the GSG seem to be a little narrower from front to back and slightly thicker. But my "hossback opinion" is that any standard 1911 grip will work on a GSG 1911-22.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Chasbo00 » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:36:09

The grips are the same size as a mil spec 1911, but not the GSG grip screws as they are metric.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby dorminWS » Sat, 02 Aug 2014 08:36:33

Chasbo00 wrote:The grips are the same size as a mil spec 1911, but not the GSG grip screws as they are metric.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Am I missing something here? I assumed you'd just use the screws that came with the GSG - unless they're too small for the holes in the grips.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby WRW » Sat, 02 Aug 2014 09:17:51

dorminWS wrote:
Chasbo00 wrote:The grips are the same size as a mil spec 1911, but not the GSG grip screws as they are metric.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Am I missing something here? I assumed you'd just use the screws that came with the GSG - unless they're too small for the holes in the grips.

I assumed the same but saw it as a warning to not lose the screws or, if lost, don't use SAE screws.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby Chasbo00 » Sat, 02 Aug 2014 11:05:55

WRW wrote:
dorminWS wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I assumed the same but saw it as a warning to not lose the screws or, if lost, don't use SAE screws.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Spot on. Some, like me, often want to replace the slotted grip screws with hex-head screws or screws of a different color. I understand that the GSG grip screw bushings in the frame can be replaced with standard bushings - have not tried this myself though.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby bikiboki » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 23:33:38

Yup...as Chasbo00 already stated the grips are standard mil-spec 1911 size. Not to "derail" your post, but I think you're going to love this pistol...I do mine. Suggest you start out with "good" ammo - any high velocity (1240/60fps) or higher, and I was pleased to find out that after about 1,500 rounds it will now cycle reliably with standard velocity ammo too. Keep it clean, lubed, and "busy" - it's a joy to shoot, and very accurate out to about 25 yards.

Bill
There are only three types of mistakes: Those you suffer from; those you learn from; and those you don't survive.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
bikiboki
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Nothing to see here.

Return to Rimfires