Tavor: thoughts

Rifle discussions - Rifle ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your rifle.

Tavor: thoughts

Postby Mindflayer » Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:55:35

I posted earlier about my difficulties with the Tavor. TL;DR - It was insanely hard to charge, and after having Geissele and IWI look at it, they swapped the barrel assembly. I finally got to take it out today to sight in my Mepro Tru-Dot RDS.

Charging and shooting with the stock trigger is smooth. Yes, the stock trigger might be a little heavier than your tuned out AR, but once I was shooting, I didn't really notice.

Charging the Tavor with the Super Sabra is still harder than with the stock trigger. There's a catch as the linkage engages. You need to power through it. Not a big deal for many shooters, but some shooters struggle with it if they charge slowly. I'll reach out to Geissele again - it is something bloggers and other gun folks have written about.

The Mepro Tru-Dot RDS is great. A lot of folks complain about the weight, but if you mount it above the trigger, the balance of the carbine is such that you won't notice. Bright at full power, easy to mount, locks down tight, nice big glass.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Re: Tavor: thoughts

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 01:19:35

I remember you talking about the trigger and charging issue. I'm surprised you are still having an issue. Is it bad enough to justify going back to the stock trigger?

I can't imagine your having a good time if you are wrestling with it all this time. I mean, I'm sure the rifle is a blast to shoot... but charging should be fairly easy. What will happen if you get some brass that balloons on you a bit and its snug to pull out? Doesn't happen often, but I have seen guys put in effort to yank ballooned brass. Starting with a disadvantage of tough charging might mean tools come out instead.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Mindflayer » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:43:31

MarcSpaz, I am thinking the same thing. I am going to reach out to Geissele again. They want me to ship them my rifle to see what's up.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby Remek » Fri, 25 Dec 2015 02:30:20

Did you ever find out whats up? all fixed? thoughts today?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Rifles