Ruger AR 556

Rifle discussions - Rifle ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your rifle.

Ruger AR 556

Postby jrjeter » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 19:23:50

I recently purchased a Ruger AR 556 along with a couple of friends who did the same. I have noticed that there are folks out there that have replaced the OEM Ruger stock with a Magpul MOE adjustable stock. I don't understand the reasoning for this as the OEM stock is adjustable as is the Magpul. Does the Magpul MOE stock have any benefits over the Ruger or is it simply a matter of taste and a waste of money?

I appreciate the feedback.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
jrjeter
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Jeff

Re: Ruger AR 556

Postby Reverenddel » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:28:49

Just personal taste. The magpul just has slicker lines.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 23 Oct 2016 11:40:18

As the Good Reverend said... it's just looks. They function the same.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby cwfunrider » Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:46:04

jrjeter wrote:I recently purchased a Ruger AR 556 along with a couple of friends who did the same. I have noticed that there are folks out there that have replaced the OEM Ruger stock with a Magpul MOE adjustable stock. I don't understand the reasoning for this as the OEM stock is adjustable as is the Magpul. Does the Magpul MOE stock have any benefits over the Ruger or is it simply a matter of taste and a waste of money?

I appreciate the feedback.

The Magpul and the stock Ruger are not the same. While they may funtion the same, slide in, slide slide out, there are slight variations that do make the Magpul better.

Magpul makes multilpe models that very in weight and shape to fit you better. They also generally fit tighter so they do not rattle. Not all factory stock rattle, but some do.

The factory stock options i have seen all have a hard plastic butt plate with semi-sharp edges. The Magpul uses a dense rubber with soft edges on the butt plate that makes shooting for long periods more comfortable and the rubber tends to stick to your shoulder better.

There is a lot of aesthetics, but there is more funtion then immediately observed. Go to the store or a buddies and do a through side by side comparison. Look at some of the factory "enhanced " rifles and Magpul stocks are not uncommon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby TJB63 » Sun, 25 Dec 2016 17:47:00

How you liking that AR556?

I was thinking of grabbing one, Green Top had them for $700 (Little Pricey) but if I find one at the right price, I'd get it. I've heard pretty good things about them so far.

TJ

TJB63
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: TJ

Postby Snakester » Thu, 26 Jan 2017 10:03:05

I bought one last week from a Gun Dealer buddy of mine. I have been wanting one for a while since shooting one last summer. I agree about the Ruger stock , mine fits pretty tight but could be better. The Magpul would be worth the cost and is really a cheap fix over the Ruger . I have seen these priced for as little as $629 to $800. I paid $725 + tax with 2 extra steel 30 rd. mags. and 200 rds. of Remington Ammo. I've shot about 800 rds. so far and can say it performs as expected.

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 27 Jan 2017 14:01:26

The next business day after the Newtown shooting I went down to my favorite FFL, found him with a Ruger SR 556, and bought it, along with all the decent 30-round mags he had. I've never fired it yet.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Snakester » Fri, 27 Jan 2017 14:22:29

I don't think I have ever owned a gun I didn't shoot with in 24 Hrs. after purchasing it !!! :pistol

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 27 Jan 2017 22:55:00

Same here. I usually go home and do a year down and lube, run a function and safety test, then go to the range same day or the next day.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:37:38

I picked up an SR556 awhile back, and because of the piston, and heavy bbl with the twist rate, have it set up as a groundhog gun...

I would fathom to say whistlepigs shudder at the mention of my name.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Snakester » Wed, 01 Feb 2017 20:40:02

It should be a perfect Hog Gun.....I killed several Hogs last Spring with my Bushmaster and will probably use The Ruger too this year.

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby cwfunrider » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 19:19:04

Snakester wrote:It should be a perfect Hog Gun.....I killed several Hogs last Spring with my Bushmaster and will probably use The Ruger too this year.

Where are you hog hunting? I am very interested in doing some hoggin'. And not the type you do after a unsuccessful at the bar.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby Snakester » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 20:05:25

My wife and I own 30 acres in Dinwiddie Co. that is all wooded. It is bordered with about 60 acres of fields that creates over 2 miles of hedge rows. We kill lots of rabbits in the Fall and quite a few G-Hogs in the Spring. The farmer that leases the fields that border my property also lets me hunt his other properties nearby ....about 300 acres in all. I will be seeing him soon to get written permission for this year. I hunt all the time and early Spring when the crop is about 6" high is the most productive ! Be glad to have you for a shoot anytime ! :machinegun:

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Return to Rifles