Garand or AR?

Rifle discussions - Rifle ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your rifle.

M1 Garand or AR-15?

M1 Garand
60%
AR-15
40%

Total votes : 30

Garand or AR?

Postby newdovo » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:55:53

I'm contemplating the next gun on my wish list. It's a toss-up right now between an AR style rifle and an M1 Garand. Both are on the list, and at some point I hope to end up with both. But which one next?
I really like wood & steel, and the history associated with the Garand is appealing, so I've been leaning in that direction. But there are a lot of options available for an AR. Friends I've talked to will note the usefulness of an AR for SHTF scenarios, EOTWAWKI, zombie dispatching, home defense during civil insurrection, and just fun at the range. I figured that a Garand could do a reasonable job here, as well, albeit in a somewhat bulkier package. I'm supposing that the range is where it will see the majority of action. :)
So what do you guys like, and why?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
newdovo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: newdovo

Re: Garand or AR?

Postby M1A4ME » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:21:07

My favorite rifle of the last 4 or 5 years has been an M1 Garand.

I also like AR15's. I shoot more .22 ammo through mine than .223 ammo.

Lots of fast follow up shots? The AR15.

Lots of aftermarket goodies? The AR15.

Good for varmints and protection? The AR15.

Want to kill big animals and use for protection? The M1 Garand.

Need to shoot clean through a car or tree or other "cover"? M1 Garand.

Want a rifle with a soul, a history, a heritage? M1 Garand.

Cheapest ammo? AR15. With a .22 conversion kit its even cheaper.

My M1 Garand feels better in my hands, fits me better, shoots better than any centerfire rifle I have except for a couple of small caliber varmint rifles.

The other neat thing about the AR15 is you can buy all the parts to build it the way you want to build it off the internet, at gunshows and stores (only part you have to go through a FFL holder for is the lower receiver.) They are a lot of fun to build. And there are so many possible variants.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby grumpyMSG » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:25:13

I won't tell you do either, I might have one of each :whistle:

What I would recommend is look around and see what is available to you. You may not be able to find a decent Garand and not have the time or the patience to purchase a beater and slowly get it into shape. Then again the only thing you may be able to find near you in the ways of an AR is a lower quality product. Let your circumstances help you choose your action. I will say you can't go wrong with Colt written on an AR and LMT, Daniel Defense, and Bravo Company (BCM) aren't far behind...
You just have to ask yourself, is he telling you the truth based on knowledge and experience or spreading internet myths?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby OakRidgeStars » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:46:13

AR15 in .308cal :clap:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby bryanrheem » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:59:05

I vote AR15. If the range is where the gun will be shot, you have to be mindful of ammo cost. Also, maybe I'm a wimp, but I prefer shooting .223/5.56 all day instead of .308.

To me, the AR15 is a practical choice that can also be a lot of fun.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby WFarm » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:44:11

Oh man, tough choice. One I couldnt make myself, so I have both. :clap:

I built the AR from parts and its a fine firearm. Out here on the farm its good for about anything from target shooting to coyotes. I like the versatility of it and abundance of accessories. I buy ammo in bulk and last bunch I bought came to about 32 cents a round for Lake city 5.56. Mounting a good scope is easy with a million choices.

The Garand is a fine shooter, unapologetic in its forged steel and walnut manufacture. To me it represents a different era and is steeped in history, perhaps even molding history as it was the main battle rifle for US forces from before WWII, thru Korea and into Vietnam. Once you really get into one you really appreciate the engineering genius behind its design.

The Garand comes with military peep sights, which can take a little gettinmg used to. Scope mounting is quite a bit more challenging due to the top-loading, top clip ejecting construction, but can be done.

Ammo requires a bit more research than picking up some .223 for the AR. I recently purchased 200 rounds of Greek mil surplus M2 ball 30.06 for just under $100, which seemed pretty reasonable.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
WFarm
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Paul

My Arsenal:
Love auctions. Have owned thousands of firearms, if only for a few minutes or less.

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:39:35

I've got both, too. Everything these other guys have told you is sound advice and/or well-considered opinion.

The OBJECTIVE reason I'd go with the Garand first is because they aren't making any more of them and they are getting harder to get. But the woods are full of AR15s and people who build AR15s, and they make them every day. You've got the rest of your life (probably) to get an AR15.

SUBJECTIVELY, I just like the Garand about 10 times as much as the AR15. It's got wood, blued steel, penetrating power, history and soul - but no plastic; like a real gun is supposed to have. JMO.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby WFarm » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:46:09

dorminWS wrote:The OBJECTIVE reason I'd go with the Garand first is because they aren't making any more of them and they are getting harder to get.

An excellent reason, wish I would have said it myself.

When I was buying the first 40 acres of land for our present farm years ago I was "negotiating" with the old timer who was selling it. I have never forgotten what he said after we struck a deal. "Lands a good thing to be owning son, cause they ain't makin no more of it".

WFarm
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
Love auctions. Have owned thousands of firearms, if only for a few minutes or less.

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:58:25

WFarm wrote:
dorminWS wrote:The OBJECTIVE reason I'd go with the Garand first is because they aren't making any more of them and they are getting harder to get.

An excellent reason, wish I would have said it myself.

When I was buying the first 40 acres of land for our present farm years ago I was "negotiating" with the old timer who was selling it. I have never forgotten what he said after we struck a deal. "Lands a good thing to be owning son, cause they ain't makin no more of it".

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My pappy always said the same thing. But when the coal companies started doing mountain-top removal and converting what used to be a craggy mountaintop into a dead-level plateau, he allowed he was obliged to back up a little on that saying.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:34:23

dorminWS wrote:The OBJECTIVE reason I'd go with the Garand first is because they aren't making any more of them and they are getting harder to get. But the woods are full of AR15s and people who build AR15s, and they make them every day. You've got the rest of your life (probably) to get an AR15.

Darn ya old geezer beat me to it! :thumbsup:

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby grumpyMSG » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:47:12

dorminWS wrote:The OBJECTIVE reason I'd go with the Garand first is because they aren't making any more of them and they are getting harder to get. But the woods are full of AR15s and people who build AR15s, and they make them every day. You've got the rest of your life (probably) to get an AR15.

Not to split too many hairs on that, but new ones are still being built.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Rifles.aspx
There are other companies, I know Springfield Armory used to make them. They are a lot less prolific than the AR right now. Not to scare people, but given the President's propensity to rule by edict (Executive Orders), I can see the potential for a ban to return should he be re-elected, hopefully the courts would shoot that down immediately , but that isn't even assured.
You just have to ask yourself, is he telling you the truth based on knowledge and experience or spreading internet myths?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby WFarm » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:14:43

When I was researching Garands I looked into the Fulton Arms rifles, as well as another I saw at a local shop made by Century Arms(?). The Fulton Arms are good rifles I'm sure, I know I have bought Garand parts from them. However I believe their M1's are assembled using original Garand receivers and a mix of original and aftermarket parts. I don't think they (or anybody else?) makes new Garand receivers.

The Century rifles were made using mostly original Garand parts, except they made their own receivers. From what I read these receivers were cast, while the original Garand receivers were forgings. Reviews on them ranged from "They shoot OK" to "They receivers look like they were made by a room full of drunken monkeys".

Don't know if this helps or simply splits the proverbial hair even more!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WFarm
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:

Postby thekinetic » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:15:07

BLESHPHEMY for even daring to compare an AR to the garand, for shame!
'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live!'
-In Exterminatus Extremis

thekinetic
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jon

My Arsenal:
Error 404 Guns Not Found

Postby FIDO » Fri, 14 Sep 2012 22:46:32

Both firearms are fine choices. If like me you watched every WWII movie and were lucky enough to have fired an MI sniper equipped rifle in the military you will want to get the Garand. Nothing like steel and wood and for more zombie killing fun using either the 16" bayonet or 10" one. All kidding aside, I purchased mine from the Civilian Marksmanship Program and was very pleased with the rifle ordered. You may want to check them out as it is not hard to qualify to purchase one (http://www.odcmp.com).
Even better would be to visit one of the stores but I suggest calling for inventory status before going. We went to Anniston, Al. when my son graduated infantry school at FT. Benning and we picked up a fine shooting Winchester Garand for his graduation suprise. The choices were few then and it took a while to pick out one he liked. He also got the 10" bayonet and ammo while there.
Bear in mind these were service arms and will show wear and tear. My rifle was built in Nov 1941. My sons in 43.

As for ARs, I've owned Bushmaster, CMMG and Stag. I liked the Stag best for fit and finish and mine is a piston system (gas inpingement is fine, just wanted to try the piston). Easier to clean the chamber and bolt but a slight more weight. All three were/are accurate and reliable as long as you had good mags, ammo and lube for the GI system. Good luck choosing!

PS. ARs don't make the cool "ping" sound when the Enbloc is ejected from the Garand!

FIDO
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
M-1 Garand, 1911

Postby WFarm » Sun, 16 Sep 2012 00:19:49

made up your mind yet? Huh? What ya gonna get? What ya gonna get?

Came across this out on the web.........

To many the M1 Rifle has a classic elegance and grace characteristic of a bygone era, when steel was forged in white heat and walnut was carefully shaped for both form and function. "There will never be again such a rifle, so brimming with the genius of an individual mind, so well constructed to outlive us all, so sculpted as to ask the hand to caress."

Do you wonder why that rifle
Is hanging in my den?
You know I rarely take it down
But I touch it now and then.

It's rather slow and heavy
By standards of today
But not too many years ago
It swept the rest away.

It's held its own in battles
Through snow, or rain, or sun
And I had one just like it,
This treasured old M-1.

It went ashore at Bougainville
In Nineteen Forty-Three.
It stormed the beach at Tarawa
Through a bullet-riddled sea.

Saipan knew its strident bark,
Kwajalein, its sting.
The rocky caves of Peleliu
Resounded with its ring.

It climbed the hill on Iwo
With men who wouldn't stop
And left our nation's banner
Flying on the top.

It poked its nose in Pusan,
Screamed an angry roar
And took the First Division
From Chosin Reservoir.

Well, time moves on
And things improve
With rifles and with men,
And that is why the two of us
Are sitting in my den.

But sometimes on a winter night,
While thinking of my Corps,
I know that if the bugle blew
We'd be a team once more.

Unkown Author

Whatever. I think I'll go buy another AR. :yankchain:

WFarm
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:

Postby newdovo » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:41:11

WFarm wrote:made up your mind yet? Huh? What ya gonna get? What ya gonna get?

Well... I mailed in my stuff for the M1 Garand today. The wait is already getting to me.
A few weeks ago I also got a lower for an AR. :thumbsup: The rest may take a bit more time.

newdovo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: newdovo

Postby Grendel69 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 10:38:24

I have a Ruger Mini14,that I enjoy shooting alot.

A garand is my dreamgun. I'll be getting one as soon as Im out of Nazi NY. Seriously, the moment I get a address (we're building on undeveloped land) and license, Ill be picking up a garand.

About 6 - 8 months to go.

Grendel69
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Grendel

My Arsenal:
CZ-75 .40cal
Browning 1911 .22
Bersa Thunder .380
Daniel Defense Ambush .223
Ruger Mini 14 .223
Marlin Model1894 Lever Action .357 Mag
Remington 700 SPS 30-06

Postby cpttango30 » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 22:14:47

Just listed my Ar for sale here.

I love the Garand but the AR is a more practical every day gun.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
cpttango30
On Target
On Target

First Name: Brett

My Arsenal:
Rem 700 VLS
1917 Rem Enfield 308
Rem 511x
Rem 513t
Kimber Custom II
Ruger MkII Govt Target
Beretta Neos
Type 38
M98 25-06 Target rifle
Win Model 12
Mossberg M46
Mossberg M44us
Marlin Model 81
RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle

Postby FiremanBob » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 06:43:30

If you need a rifle for general-purpose use, including SHTF, the AR is much more practical. The Garand is a far better long-distance rifle, but ammo is getting scarce and you won't find any in the heat of social collapse. That said, the Garand is one of the greatest firearms ever made and an almost-obscene pleasure to shoot. If I wanted a straight-up high-power competition rifle to add to the stable (and I do), I'd get the Garand.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby Grendel69 » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:17:49

Im thinking this over myself.

Im looking at the newer Springfield M1A models.

For the AR, Daniels Defense or RRA

I think Im gonna go with the M1A for now and look at getting a AR some time down the line.

Grendel69
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Grendel

My Arsenal:
CZ-75 .40cal
Browning 1911 .22
Bersa Thunder .380
Daniel Defense Ambush .223
Ruger Mini 14 .223
Marlin Model1894 Lever Action .357 Mag
Remington 700 SPS 30-06