Garand or AR?

Rifle discussions - Rifle ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your rifle.

M1 Garand or AR-15?

M1 Garand
60%
AR-15
40%

Total votes : 30

Re: Garand or AR?

Postby vaeevictiss » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:48:40

All depends what you want it for. If you are a collector and want something historical the get the garand. If you want something to shoot get the AR. Ooooo I'm sure I just set off the garand guys here with that one lol. But face it. The garand was a great gun, and it's had is time, but the technology has advanced greatly and it brought us the AR and that platform outperforms the garand in nearly every way.

You could also pick up the newer m1a socoms. I have a buddy with one and they are pretty wicked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
vaeevictiss
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Sean

Postby scrubber3 » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 07:16:58

Grendel69 wrote:Im thinking this over myself.

Im looking at the newer Springfield M1A models.

For the AR, Daniels Defense or RRA

I think Im gonna go with the M1A for now and look at getting a AR some time down the line.

Word of advice: Daniel Defense.. Or COLT, or BCM

RRA doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as DD.
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby Grendel69 » Sun, 11 May 2014 22:15:12

^ Scrub.

Ive actually changed my mind... again.

I was just given a Rem700 30-06 by my father in law. Hes getting up there in age and gave it to us. It kind of cures my itch for now, so going with the AR.

As soon as I get a Virginia address, Ill be getting a DD.

Grendel69
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Grendel

My Arsenal:
CZ-75 .40cal
Browning 1911 .22
Bersa Thunder .380
Daniel Defense Ambush .223
Ruger Mini 14 .223
Marlin Model1894 Lever Action .357 Mag
Remington 700 SPS 30-06

Postby vaeevictiss » Mon, 12 May 2014 11:08:52

I plan on getting a stag 3g upper for the lower I got. That's another option. From what a hear, a lot of other higher end companies get their stuff from stag...From what I hear lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
vaeevictiss
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Sean

Postby HighExpert » Fri, 23 May 2014 22:22:46

The Garand. I think you will be able to buy an AR for a long time. There are only so many Garands.
30-06 original or .308 conversion? 30-06 FMJ will probably get even harder to get.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Postby arkypete » Mon, 26 May 2014 12:23:20

I would not advise either. Why not get an Armalite AR10. You would have the high capacity for the AR15 and the knock down of the 30-06.

Jim

arkypete
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Wolvee » Mon, 26 May 2014 20:30:31

Since I already have several high end AR's I have to vote M1. I've wanted one for a while but I wont trust Springfield's quality.

I would never buy a Springfield product. They make crap and claim to be the their namesake and they're not.
Le prixs'oublie, la qualité reste

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Postby Lester » Tue, 06 Oct 2015 09:21:39

AR all the way for my all around rifle. I do like that you can get the 22 coversion and shoot cheap. I did just get a 7.62 x 39 upper and I am looking forward to shooting that on my lower.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Lester
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lester

My Arsenal:
A few.

Next Firearm:

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Tue, 06 Oct 2015 12:47:47

I chose the Garand for the same reasons that I think a lot of others have - attainability.

No question that an AR-15 is more versatile in almost every way. AR's can and will most likely be available on the cheaper side for a very long time. That being said, the Garand has so much history behind it, and will soon become a much more coveted firearm in the future. In fact, you can already see it now.

Aside from that, AR's are incredibly fun to shoot, and there is really no replacing a solid AR build in your collection.
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Definitely this - http://tinyurl.com/kgrumfk

Postby dusterdude » Tue, 06 Oct 2015 18:55:42

I bought my garand in 1993,i wanted a rifle that had a lot of marine history,not counting the fact,its just a bad ass rifle

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Postby jmax » Fri, 09 Oct 2015 19:18:36

I have Garands, I have owned ARs and an M16, and am now developing cast bullet loads for the M1, yes you can shoot cast in a gas gun with gas checks.right now my 06 cost is less than a dime:-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts (ICORE) Member   Virginia Gun Collectors Association (VGCA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
jmax
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: John

Postby FiremanBob » Fri, 09 Oct 2015 20:14:27

You really need at least one M1, in the standard service rifle or National Match configuration. You also need an assortment of AR15s in different setups for a variety of purposes.

If you vote well, and do your part to get others out to vote for the good guys, there are thousands of M1s and ammo for them in such places as S. Korea waiting to be repatriated under the Civilian Marksmanship Program. This is a great reason to become active in politics this year, if you haven't been in the past.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby Monkey » Sat, 10 Oct 2015 07:21:09

Poll is inadequate - needs a "Yes" button. For all the reasons mentioned above.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Monkey
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: J

My Arsenal:
Redacted

Next Firearm:
Whatever stray follows me home...

Postby dorminWS » Sat, 10 Oct 2015 09:36:25

:thumbsup:
Monkey wrote:Poll is inadequate - needs a "Yes" button. For all the reasons mentioned above.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Remek » Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:47:23

I originally opined on my present thoughts, having just aquired and started shooting an M1, and haing an MP-15 as well as MP-22. However, I realized I was making points previously made. So, I thought I'd focus in a little more on one thing I find I really love.

The AR is modular, so you customize a lot. I have mine set up with red dot, BUIS, and a laser/strobe/flashlight. Really fun and potentially disorienting to any foe.

However, even with all that, the sighting system and firing of the M1 is my prefered system. I know exactly where that bullet at any particular distance, and can adjust the sights for windage and distance and elevation very predictably. Add to that the 30-06 with the heavy rifle, and I so little kickback it is almost unbelieveable, By comparison, I have a 7x57 that will take your shoulder off, its like a 12 gague.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have gotten the M1 first. That said, I would still be buying an AR, and specifically, I am looking toward also aquiring an AR-10 in the future.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Postby TETech » Mon, 28 Dec 2015 18:30:16

Beretta BM59

You might need to sale a kidney to fund the purchase, but they are a fantastic rifle!

TETech
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby tangodown » Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:07:34

Garand all day. You can build an AR any day for really cheap any time, don't pass up on the Garand

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Previous

ads

Return to Rifles