.357 Magnum Lever Action rant.

Rifle discussions - Rifle ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your rifle.

.357 Magnum Lever Action rant.

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 14:13:40

Okay. So this is the Unicorn with a Leprechaun I've been trying to snag for about a decade without luck.

Marlin flat out LIED to me at the NRA Atlanta show ("It'll be out in fall"), and the prices are RIDICULOUS for a LEVER ACTION!

$1100-$1500? For a LEVER action!?!? Are you serious? Mossberg makes a "Tactica" 30-30 that though it looks odd, in a pistol caliber, in a carbine? Would be an AWESOME thing!

However, they don't want to ramp up machinery to make them because they realize it's not as popular as an AR, or an AK, but you know what?

Make it modular. Just build a buncha parts that can fit from a .22LR Lever action all the way up to a .454 Casull. All you have to do is change barrels, and tubes. We live in a modern world with CNC machinery that is computer controlled, but "lo to those who want to step up".

In closing, Screw that price tag! I'll pass on a lever action .357 till they get to a REASONABLE range! I found my .45 LC Rossi for under $500, I'll find that!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Re: .357 Magnum Lever Action rant.

Postby Snakester » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 16:35:08

I bought my Henry .357 at Walmart in '12 for $629.00. Local gun shops wanted about $150 more for the same rifle.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 16:39:52

I've given Henry most of my lever action business lately. After the QA problems at marlin, plus the price hikes, I've taken my business elsewhere. They aren't $500 price point, but they are not oversees quality/fit/finish either.

For about the same price I can have a Ruger 77/44 as well. If you're looking for a repeater, and not specifically a lever, that might be an option.

Or consider a TC encore/ contender. Once you're into the system a new cartridge can be as cheap as $300 bucks.

And with no large action behind the cartridge, my 16"bbl with folding stock fits in a back pack, and is still long enough when unfolded to be a title 1 (non -nfa) size rifle.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Palladin » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 16:41:19

A Henry and a S&W R-8 would be an awesome pair in a post-a world.

:wave:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 16:56:27

I prefer a bit more bore, and thump... I've opted for the Puma 92, and Ruger SRH both in .454 casull. If the Casull wasn't impressive enough from a revolver, give it another 10" of BBL, and no barrel gap to loose pressure, and its quite a different animal. Paired with tang peep sites, which just seem perfect on a lever gun. Its quite fun to shoot with 45LC cowboy loads, or loaded up with 400 gr Hard cast at 1700 FPS, we're solidly into 45-70 territory.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 19:17:19

I like the Henry's but I prefer a side-gate loader.

Agreed on Marlin's not being worth it.

I emailed Mossberg since they're TRYING to get into the Lever action world, but from what I hear, their stuff isn't that great either.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Return to Rifles